1 2 3 4
Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/1/12 3:16 p.m.

After wearing only a baseball cap at my last autocross and burning the crap out of my neck even with sunscreen I want to get something with better coverage. What are you guys using and where did you get it. I tried looking for Gardening hats at nearby Lowes/Home Depot and did not find anything

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/1/12 3:18 p.m.

Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
9/1/12 3:28 p.m.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/1/12 3:30 p.m.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/1/12 3:33 p.m.

Living in San Diego the sombrero should be doable.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
9/1/12 3:35 p.m.

http://realdealbrazil.com/tarp-hats.php

I think you can get a discount if you look on bushcraftusa.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/1/12 3:50 p.m.

I like the cheap straw "Panama" style hats at Walmart, but keep a ball cap available in case the wind takes it.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/12 3:55 p.m.

I went for something suitable for autocross and garden parties. Visit your nearby haberdashery (Isn't it fun to say "haberdashery"?). Looks like the price has hiked since I got my Guthrie...

Still waiting for an excuse for the linen suit, though I think that's probably incompatible with changing tires at the track...

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/1/12 3:55 p.m.

I was just at walmart I should have looked

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
9/1/12 3:58 p.m.

say no more the last hat you will ever need.

http://www.tilley.com/?lang=en-GB

a whole bunch of styles and weights and they work

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
9/1/12 4:10 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: I like the cheap straw "Panama" style hats at Walmart, but keep a ball cap available in case the wind takes it.

That's what the headset's for.

And thanks for the link f86, I may have finally found a replacement.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/12 5:03 p.m.

Barmah Hat.

My mother bought one of these for me when she was in Australia. I'm not a big fan of suede hats, but it's great for keeping the sun off your face and neck

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/12 5:09 p.m.

Or, a pith helmet. Light, shady and vented.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
9/1/12 5:52 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
slantvaliant wrote: I like the cheap straw "Panama" style hats at Walmart, but keep a ball cap available in case the wind takes it.
That's what the headset's for. And thanks for the link f86, I may have finally found a replacement.

your welcome and follow there measuring instructions . I would suggest an LT6 for the summer

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/1/12 6:26 p.m.

You need a floppy hat. Something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/745932/outdoor-research-helios-hat

"The amply brimmed Outdoor Research Helios hat not only shades eyes, face and neck, it also provides UPF 50 sun protection."

Beats the heck out of having cancer whittled off your nose. Ask me how I know.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
9/1/12 6:40 p.m.

I always rock a military style boonie hat for sunny day stuff, can be found at any army-navy store. Comes in umpteen camo styles and solid colors. And cheap enough that if you lose it, you don't feel too bad about it. I keep one in the miata, and always have one for whenever I see myself being in the sun for more than an hour.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
9/1/12 8:09 p.m.

Boonie hats are perfect for this. Plus you don't look like a putz wearing it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/12 8:22 p.m.

Winter, I wear one of these. A fold up leather hat.

Summer, something like this.

Given all the skin cancer my uncle is dealing with from sun exposure, I wear one all the time.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
9/1/12 8:47 p.m.

All good advice given so far.
Conventional wisdom is that the guy at the autocross with the biggest, baddest hat is the guy who is good at it and has been at it for a lot of years.

Columbia also makes a hat common in boating that is a lightweight baseball hat but in addition to the brim there is also a desert style protective backflap.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=31915&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=51066&subdeptNum=51078&classNum=51082#.UEK4ilLyDMw

mw
mw Dork
9/1/12 9:04 p.m.

Grm bucket hat???

Why not just wear your helmet? A full face helmet with a tinted visor nit only keeps the sun off, but offers protection from off course cars while marshaling.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/1/12 9:30 p.m.

You're so silly ....

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
9/1/12 9:36 p.m.

go to Hudson Trail, or any outdoor store, or the GRM store ^^ and get a floppy hat. Good coverage, and you can fold it up and stuff it in your pocket or in the door pocket of your car when not in use.

I used to have a rigid mesh golf hat with full brim I used to take to autocross, but it got to be a pain in the ass to have to find someplace to put it when I had to do my runs, etc. Floppy hat much easier....

M3Loco
M3Loco New Reader
9/1/12 10:01 p.m.

You can even leave your baseball cap on...

The "rice-picker" hat:

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/1/12 10:02 p.m.

I think floppy sounds good. I will have to check REI I am a member but have not had any reason to buy stuff there lately

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/1/12 10:03 p.m.

I rock an oiled Aussie 4" brim cowboy hat. Beats the sun, makes me look like a rockstar when it rains. Fits right in at bars near Summit Point because everyone looks like they belong in a C&W video.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kWYIYVBndY8JQ1HEYGe6v1rqlOpantx6yNY0E3mkkJajnKcBVjvdK6bDRcHVUzXv