Urban sombrero?

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/1/12 10:21 p.m.

kinda petty tho

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
9/1/12 11:32 p.m.

My friend wears a sombrero as referenced in the 2nd post at all major events. You never lose him. That he is a 6'5" white boy helps.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
9/2/12 12:27 a.m.
f86sabjf wrote: say no more the last hat you will ever need. http://www.tilley.com/?lang=en-GB a whole bunch of styles and weights and they work

That should be the end of this discussion.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
9/2/12 9:48 a.m.

any sort of cowboy hat with a beer logo on it. This months has been the corona hat:

If you are going to look silly, might as well go all out.

Or, grow your hair out.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/2/12 10:42 a.m.

I have 2 boonie-hat knockoffs that I like. One is made by Columbia and is rainproof. The other is from Duluth Trading Co. and is softer cotton. Both have wide brims all the way around, and both have vented crowns.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
9/2/12 11:12 a.m.

I always go with one of the cheap straw E36 M3-kickers from Walmarts as well.

Fold it/shape it up right and it'll keep the rain and sun off of your neck and face as well.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/2/12 8:03 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
f86sabjf wrote: say no more the last hat you will ever need. http://www.tilley.com/?lang=en-GB a whole bunch of styles and weights and they work

Tilley's are nice, but pricey. I bought a knock-off at Cabela's. Works really well.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
9/3/12 7:20 a.m.
Duke wrote: I have 2 boonie-hat knockoffs that I like. One is made by Columbia and is rainproof. The other is from Duluth Trading Co. and is softer cotton. Both have wide brims all the way around, and both have vented crowns.

this is mine from Duluth Trading Co ... widest brim I could find

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
9/3/12 8:29 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
NGTD wrote:
Tilley's are nice, but pricey. I bought a knock-off at Cabela's. Works really well.

the big difference is you can get a hat that fits your head and doesnt pinch your noggin all day . Not a one size fits all that you put up with .

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/3/12 9:31 a.m.

In reply to f86sabjf:

I guess. Mine fits well enough. I just have a hard time dropping $70 on something I'm going to drench with sweat in less than a year.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
9/3/12 10:07 a.m.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/12 11:14 a.m.

I have been using something like this for years...

Works great...

Just Google"cap with flap"...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
9/3/12 11:39 a.m.
mw wrote: Grm bucket hat??? Why not just wear your helmet? A full face helmet with a tinted visor nit only keeps the sun off, but offers protection from off course cars while marshaling.

This weekend was the annual Super Slalom in Saskatoon, and on Sunday, most of the drivers marshalling were wearing their helmets, to protect from flying cones, pebbles, garbage cans...It got a bit windy around noon.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/3/12 11:52 a.m.

A breif description of track days:

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
9/3/12 12:34 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to f86sabjf: I guess. Mine fits well enough. I just have a hard time dropping $70 on something I'm going to drench with sweat in less than a year.

I understand but these are washable , dont shrink like most caps do and they keep there shape. My first Tilly is over 10yrs old and has lots of character at this point

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
9/3/12 2:21 p.m.

My Dad's 1st Tilly lasted at least a decade, and I think he only replaced it because it got lost on a canoe trip. His 2nd one is still going strong-tough as nails (it is Canadian made, after all ), and he swears by it. Sometimes you get what you pay for, right?

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
9/3/12 2:28 p.m.

exactly

So if i go by current prcing mine would cost $70 and is ten years old. So $7 a year for the quality is good enough for me

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/5/12 1:52 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/12 2:00 p.m.

Wait nobody's recommended one of these yet?

Decreases your chance of being hit (unless it's a track day and you're standing on an apex)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/12 2:43 p.m.

I've been wearing the same Columbia floppy hat to every outdoor thing I've done for at least 6-7 years now. I like the GRM one above, but the rim isn't nearly wide enough to provide much real protection.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/5/12 3:00 p.m.

I picked up a Columbia Boonie hat off amazon we will see how it works

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/5/12 3:07 p.m.

There's a kid on the SDSU FSAE team that rocks a full blown sombrero (and appropriate mustache) at the SD region.

I've always used the big straw gardner hat from the Dixieline, but it was cheap and is now falling apart. I talked to the lifegaurds at the local pool and they all get thiers at surf shops. It will probably be a premium price, but the quality is a lot better.

car39
car39 HalfDork
9/5/12 4:19 p.m.

Bought a wide brim hat on vacation made from recycled coffee bean canvas bags. It's pre-beat, semi water resistant, and you won't find an identical one ever.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
9/5/12 5:28 p.m.

I read the title as "I need a track rat", and expected to see a bunch of answers ranging from Miata, to E30, to 944.

For a track HAT, I recommend a Tilley.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QtzCj7MxjjUt6ALGhxvfJuOWG6kZZ9pgNR6qnr2KgciVciqYI9i1Irm1UJgrK46V