1 2 3 4
jstein77
jstein77 Dork
9/5/12 7:27 p.m.

Cheap and effective. That's what I use.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
9/5/12 7:27 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Wait nobody's recommended one of these yet? Decreases your chance of being hit (unless it's a track day and you're standing on an apex)

Clearly you haven't seen me autox.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/5/12 9:45 p.m.

Won't do a thing to protect your neck, but when a man walks the course in a that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
9/5/12 9:54 p.m.

I have a giant cheapo sombrero thing that Murilee himself signed for me in 2009 at Lemons. I use it all the time when I mow and when I'm at the track.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/5/12 10:16 p.m.

I sell military surplus hats and helmets. May I be of assistance?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
9/5/12 10:31 p.m.

I wear one of these constantly:

realdealbrazil.com

It's waterproof, sun proof, doesn't mold or mildew, keeps its shape well, and is damn near indestructible as far as I can tell. It's been on my head across the country and in other continents, and it's sitting in my truck right now. Also, it scares people when you drive a lifted Trooper while wearing it.

I thought it was recycled hipster garbage at first, then a Navy buddy of mine let me borrow his for a camping trip and I was hooked.

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
9/5/12 11:24 p.m.

i've got an Outdoor Research sun bucket that i love. light, cinches on the top/bottom for wind, floats, and isn't so big that it annoys me. the only time i get hit with the sun is if its really low in the sky. $30 was about my sweet spot and sold me on it.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/7/12 10:09 p.m.

I swear by the cheap Walmart straw hats. Get one with the biggest brim you can find. The do an awesome job of wicking sweat away. Stylish? No, but you'll feel cooler and won't get sunburned on your face or neck, and that's what matters.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/7/12 10:30 p.m.

Rallycross?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/7/12 10:39 p.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
9/8/12 7:17 a.m.

Most of the fancy track hats depend on what is under it.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
9/8/12 11:38 a.m.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
9/8/12 11:42 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Rallycross?

I actually own that exact Keffiyeh. Its perfect for working in sandy conditions and in the garden when I am spreading mulch and manure.

Personally at the track I have a surplus army bonnet in camo that has sunblock built in.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
9/8/12 1:05 p.m.

Fishing shirts long sleeve , breathable with multiple pockets . Slit mesh in upper back to naked chics breathing . Sunblock , sunglasses and a big wide brim hat . Cargo shorts for more storage . Back pack for water beer cameras . I use 70 % sunscreen .

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/26/14 8:45 p.m.

I was just googleing when I stumbled past this thread. First, I was wondering why a picture of JG Pasterjak came up as the 15th picture when searching for my grandfather. Then I thought I should share my new track hat.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/26/14 9:38 p.m.

been mentioned at least twice here so I'll chuck in another vote. Realdealbrail canvas hats are the shiznit. I have the standard hat being recommended here and their cuba libre hat. Love them both. Couldn't hurt them if I wanted to and the more you berkeley them up the better the look. :)

HAZZARD
HAZZARD New Reader
4/26/14 9:45 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: been mentioned at least twice here so I'll chuck in another vote. Realdealbrail canvas hats are the shiznit. I have the standard hat being recommended here and their cuba libre hat. Love them both. Couldn't hurt them if I wanted to and the more you berkeley them up the better the look. :)

Those are some nice hats, but canvas is freaking hot. As cool as they look, I'd stay way away from them and any aussie leather hats. Truth be told, anything out of 'straw' is perfect for keeping the head cool and in shade. I snagged a corona straw hat off a buddy of mine and both my head and the ladies loved it.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/26/14 9:50 p.m.
HAZZARD wrote:
JThw8 wrote: been mentioned at least twice here so I'll chuck in another vote. Realdealbrail canvas hats are the shiznit. I have the standard hat being recommended here and their cuba libre hat. Love them both. Couldn't hurt them if I wanted to and the more you berkeley them up the better the look. :)
Those are some nice hats, but canvas is freaking hot. As cool as they look, I'd stay way away from them and any aussie leather hats. Truth be told, anything out of 'straw' is perfect for keeping the head cool and in shade. I snagged a corona straw hat off a buddy of mine and both my head and the ladies loved it.

I'm a bald dude who wears hats to keep the sun off his head. I have not found the canvas hat to be hot at all. And for the abuse I give my hats straw would last about a day. If you are easy on hats then give 'em a go. If you want to buy the last hat you are going to need to buy, go with a recycled canvas.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/14 7:17 a.m.

http://zinka.com/Colored-Nosecoat

Zinka yourself in whatever livery you choose

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
4/28/14 5:32 p.m.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
4/28/14 6:38 p.m.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/28/14 8:27 p.m.

or one of these if you are in the south for mosquitoes

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
4/28/14 8:28 p.m.

Well if you don't want to look like you belong to NAMBLA like some of the examples given above...I rock one of these to the track, beach, lawn work, etc. $16 from Ron Jon surf shop.

Boonie hats are also cheap and easy to find from surplus stores.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/28/14 9:03 p.m.

This thread just made me go hat shopping. Because the 20-30 hats in various closets, cars, and garage areas aren't enough. I had to order an RDB just because I don't have a canvas hat (yet), lol...

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
4/28/14 9:51 p.m.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7OBcRNE7X66Og816tEUUZOVTivV44nlH8hll2C43XSFG78cdk3o9nyxD1S71AmWg