ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
3/12/10 10:24 p.m.

for the past few months i have been looking to replace the wreak that is her 93 astro van and a couple of other have looked sorta...but in janury i sat her down and took her shopping to the local dealers looking for something that she would at least think about getting.....she was really, really insisting on getting blazer.....it would go like this... how about this car.....no it has to be a blazer..... how that that one.....no a blazer..... finilly i made her sit in my legecy wagon and then we went looking and i got her to agree to at least think about a honda passport, a subby legecy, and a blazer, anything after 1995 for aorund $1500 for her buget..... after some chatting we droped the passport from the looking. mosly craigslist and local dealers and ohter online sites. the once thing i kept finding was anything in her range and years was crap that didnt even run for $1400...wtf? yes, some real winners looking for a blazer then. or just nothing less then $3000 for blazer....sigh after looking and looking and her not wanting to travel very far to any subura of chi town or even milwakee...sigh i checked on a lark the local advertizer..which never seems to have much worth looking at and come across a 1996 subby legecy for 1600obo with a auto...hmmmm, called about it and then went and looked at it...funny thing was it was 4 blocks from my house.....heheheh. this was wensday night, thus i got her to look at it and see seemed to like it and then was not sure if she wanted it or not. she has been driving a minivan since 91 so she is use to sitting up higher and forward in the driver seat. so tonight i went down to visit my granmother in the nurseing home and to ask my mom if she wanted to buy it or not....she was still not sure and we had to run up to the house to make show her what was the problem with the car and made her show me with mine....all the time every thime she would cough up an issue of why not to get it i would shoot it done...i think my granmother was lughing at the two of us talking bakc and forth even to the point of flipping a coin to see if she would get it ot not. but after having her sit in my car the guy next door with a 2002 wrx came home and i had to have someone else agrue why it was a good deal....after much more thinking i finfliy got her to go get it..... so for $1200 paid cash and wiht the owner putting a new set of tireson last month and just putting new pads on today we got a it home.... so now i have a 1996 subby legecy with out the roof rack and with a factory spoiler and a slushbox parked behind my stock car on one side of the drive, my my rambler in the garage, my legecy in front of the garage being dead right now and in front of that my grandmothers saturn which i have been driving which she has been recovering from borken hip....funny night though and a packed driveway... and then today was my brothers birthday today and i found out that between his wife and his best friend they gave him a 2002 dodge neon the his friend had extra and his wife put a $300 stero in said car....so i seem to be the only one not to buy a car today.... pics will be posted this weekend with both legecys park side by side....

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/12/10 10:32 p.m.

Can you edit that and add a few paragraphs?

My mother purchased two Subaru's due to my influence... her '85 wagon and then her '95 wagon (both new).

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
3/12/10 10:45 p.m.

What's wrong with your Legacy?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/13/10 1:10 a.m.

Im not as inpressed with subarus as i used to be, $500 in parts for a timing belt change and replacing the entire spindle becasue the cv joint is fused to it (appears to not be that unusual). Of course the car does have 300k miles on it now, but if i had knowin how much work it needed I wouldnt have tried to fix it.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/10 11:08 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Im not as inpressed with subarus as i used to be, $500 in parts for a timing belt change and replacing the entire spindle becasue the cv joint is fused to it (appears to not be that unusual). Of course the car does have 300k miles on it now, but if i had knowin how much work it needed I wouldnt have tried to fix it.

Um, yeah, it's totally the car's fault.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
3/13/10 12:17 p.m.

Well when an 8v vw timing belt and tensioner costs $20, $500 seems alot for the subaru stuff. They are also the first car I have heard of that its not out of the ordinary to have to throw the whole spndile and hub away when you need to replace the outer cv joint. I dont mean to say they are bad, I just dont think that they have an above average lifespan like some people seem to think. Certainly one with 100k miles would be a decent draily driver for a number of years, so should any other car. :)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
3/13/10 3:53 p.m.

I've never really figured out where the Subaru long life urban legend came from.. I used to visit with my friend George, the head tech at the local Subie store, and if it was at all cold out, there would be short blocks stacked like cordwood around his bay. We don't go after Subaru service, and we still fix a bunch of them. (Notice the use of "fix" instead of "Maintain")

Maybe its just up here in 30 below land they blow up....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Oy4ju0F39TigF82nV9mnAFuEQmDpFwklkxytVbWMwhxR4E7gHJLuNIZ3kIQfAjF