1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/15/22 12:25 p.m.
feature_image

There’s a new high-output inline-six coming to the market, but it won’t be found in a BMW or even a Mercedes-Benz. Instead, the new twin-turbocharged, 3.0-liter Hurricane straight-six comes from Stellantis.

Two versions are in the works: a Standard Output version that’s good for 400 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft. of torque ("optimized for fuel economy") and a High Output version that’s rated …

Read the rest of the story

jh722
jh722
4/15/22 1:31 p.m.

When these engines are old, I am imagining blown head gaskets with the straight 6 design and problems with the cylinder wall coatings breaking down, wearing away...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/15/22 1:43 p.m.
jh722 said:

When these engines are old, I am imagining blown head gaskets with the straight 6 design and problems with the cylinder wall coatings breaking down, wearing away...

Why would you imagine blown head gaskets?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
4/15/22 3:06 p.m.

I'm sure they will not be as reliable as the HO I6 4.0 but one can dream.

I imagine with the hurricane name of old they are destined for Jeeps.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/15/22 3:16 p.m.

Good. Ford Australia was hoarding the sweet turbo I6s for too long. Bring us that smoooooth power Stellantis (and shove it in everything you make).

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/15/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to NoBrakesRacing :

If I had to bet, I'd say Jeep products for sure–and maybe even Dodge product or two.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 6:44 p.m.

Am I the only one who's disappointed that it's not leaning 30 degrees over toward the passenger side?

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/22 10:59 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Am I the only one who's disappointed that it's not leaning 30 degrees over toward the passenger side?

Your perspective is slanted...

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Dork
4/15/22 11:04 p.m.

At the NYIAS they announced that the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will be the first to get the Hurricane.  Jeep slipped up a few weeks ago and you could "build and price" a Grand Wagoneer online with the HO inline 6 for a couple of hours.  Before they realized their screwup a few people got screenshots and it was a $2000 option over the standard 6.4L Hemi in the Grand Wagoneer.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
4/16/22 12:07 a.m.

All I can say is...WTF is up with that engine cover?

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/16/22 12:27 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Your perspective is slanted...

No way to dodge it...

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/16/22 12:37 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to NoBrakesRacing :

If I had to bet, I'd say Jeep products for sure–and maybe even Dodge product or two.

Jeep Cherokee Biturbo?

Lance_Trebuchet
Lance_Trebuchet New Reader
4/16/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That would make it a Stellant Six

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/22 3:48 p.m.
Lance_Trebuchet said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

That would make it a Stellant Six

Guffaw!

jh722
jh722 New Reader
4/16/22 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It has something to do with the dimensional length of the block combined with maintaining gasket seal over that long length during thousands of heating/cooling cycles over the 10 year (hopefully 20) expected life of the power plant.  This may be why we no longer see Packard straight eights. lol

te72
te72 Reader
4/16/22 4:29 p.m.

In reply to jh722 :

I mean, I'd guess that we don't see Packard straight eights anymore because Packard has been gone for nearly 70 years now, but...

Realistically this engine shouldn't be any longer than a Toyota JZ, and they don't have gasket issues unless you're cramming irresponsible levels of boost into them. =)

That said... this IS a Chrysler product, soooo... but then again, so was the Slant Six, and those would run for-ev-er. I work with a guy who noticed a slight miss in the slant six in some old car or truck they had when he was younger. Turns out, the crank had broken in half, longitudinally, but in such a way that it continued to operate, since the break was in a way that it would hold itself together. They were blown away that it still ran when they tore it down.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/16/22 9:22 p.m.

I already knew about this. I have a friend who is a Chrysler mechanic/engineer and he has been learning all about this motor and how to work on it. Currently his specialty are the Hellcat motors and he deals with any issues with them. Interesting to talk to.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/22 9:16 a.m.

They'll probably have to lengthen the snout of the Wrangler the way they did back in '72 to accommodate the I6 architecture (it's why '72 up hood and fenders don't fit the older CJ's).  Just eyeballing the bay of my Pentastar JK, ain't no way an I6 is going in there.  I'm sure the JL isn't much different.  Maybe there's a JM in the works?  With the emphasis shifting to electric I kind of doubt it.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/17/22 9:30 a.m.
jh722 said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It has something to do with the dimensional length of the block combined with maintaining gasket seal over that long length during thousands of heating/cooling cycles over the 10 year (hopefully 20) expected life of the power plant.  This may be why we no longer see Packard straight eights. lol

Plenty of other I6s do just fine at keeping the head sealed.  BMW has built a ton of them and none that I can think of have a reputation for head gasket issues.  The older AMC/Jeep 4.0 isn't prone to head gasket issues either. 

Manufacturers that have avoided I6s generally have done it for packaging reasons.  They are a long engine, so they're not necessarily easy to fit.  Although Volvo did manage to fit an I6 sideways in a FWD car, so anything is possible. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/22 9:58 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Inline sixes are really thermally awkward, if you want even cooling.  The usual way around this to have an engine that has a lot of thermal mass, which makes cold start emissions awful.  IIRC this is why Toyota killed the JZ engines and why Nissan never Federalized the RB engines.

The second generation Volvo inline six is a whole lot of bad ideas.  The accessories are driven by the timing chains, from a jackshaft at the bellhousing face.  The alternator is direct-drive from the shaft, mounted under the intake manifold, and the A/C and power steering pump (why not electric?) are hanging over the trans and driven by a belt that requires removing the A/C compressor and power steering pump to service.

The front of the engine is WEIRD.  Not even a harmonic damper, just a flat face.  But they needed to do it that way to make a six fit where an inline five barely fit.  The whiteblock inline sixes only fit transversely because Volvo used a GM transmission behind them, which fits the transmission's internals next to the engine instead of behind it.  Not even GM does it that way anymore.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/17/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The thermal issues must be manageable somehow though, considering how many modern I6s are still being built (and in aluminum, etc.).  BMW still builds them, Mazda is building a new I6, there's this new one from Stellantis, etc.  Mercedes has recently replaced their V6s with an I6 too. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/17/22 1:33 p.m.

Aluminum sheds heat faster than iron too. You can actually get aluminum 2jz blocks, but they're aftermarket and expensive might not be the right word for it, I can't find a polite word to describe that budget. =P

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/17/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

BMW also uses an electric water pump smiley

I know the old M engine (think M1/5/6, maybe the E30 M3) did an end run around the cooling issue by routing the water pump outlet to a manifold, and the coolant cycled widthwise instead of endwise.  Audi 20v fives had a widthwise coolant outlet, too, and there is a water jacket mod for the 10vs to semi-convert them to widthwise coolant exit.

With a "normal" water jacket layout, the front cylinders get the coldest cylinders and hottest combustion chamber.  I bet the EWP allows BMW to run the coolant full-bore all the time to minimize temperature variances.

If you want weird, look at what some Fords do with compartmentalized cooling.  On cold start, coolant goes mainly to the exhaust side of the head, then the rest of the head is gated in, then the whole engine.  They were proud of the ability to get full operating temp in 60 seconds.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/22 3:00 p.m.

Actually, the B58 inline 6 has gone back to a mechanical water pump in the high temp cooling circuit. There is, however, some relatively fancy coolant path management going on. 

https://www.1erforum.de/attachments/bmw_b58_engine-pdf.84135/

There is still an electric pump in the low temp (intercooler)coolant circuit. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/17/22 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Cool info! I'll look at it more in depth when I get home.  It looks like they went to lateral coolant flow like an M engine with a rotary coolant valve like newer VW fours.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tuAblgqlCvdYjDlUd5sRXTVKi8wJ1dORmxz2Gx62MDl7GWcxWCYhcmmGhSVENEEu