1 2
Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/14/08 4:17 p.m.

I never, never, never thought I'd have anything but loathing for the ugly yellow faux-truck. However, I've been looking around for something to replace my F-150, and while I understand it's NOT a truck, it seems to be a nice compromise. Oh, and they come in other colors, too. Who knew?

I mean, I love the truck bed. Something cool on the side of the road? Whammo, it's mine! I don't like a truck's size, fuel economy, and lack of sport.

The Baja comes in a 2.5L turbo 5-speed option, and with a 2k tow rating, can tow enough for a motorcycle/small boat/whatever.

Anyone have one of these things? Do you like it? I'm also looking at the Baja's brother, the Legacy Wagon, or it's cousin, the Forester. Small bed vs wagon space?

I'm open to other suggestions, too. Through a generous offer of fund-matching from my parents, the target is roughly $15K (Thanks, pops!).

Volvo V50 turbo?
Mazdaspeed6?
Saabs?

Who knows where I'll be stationed after college, shudders at the thought of Minot so I like the idea of AWD...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/14/08 4:21 p.m.

I have a Legacy wagon. I can't say I like it, but it makes a good workhorse. Room for most anything I've wanted to drag home. If it won't fit in the back, I can still strap it to the roof rack. And it's a billy goat when the weather's bad.

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
11/14/08 4:40 p.m.

I love the idea of the baja/brat but not the execution from the styling perspective. Generally I like the Subarus, never owned one but AWD station wagons are perfect for family hiking/camping trips.

I too have been looking for a smallish 4x4 pickup truck with 4 doors (see the other thread). Tacoma and Frontier are the obvious choices. However, this morning I saw a ford explorer sport...very much car like with a small truck bed for those occasional pickup functions.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/14/08 4:41 p.m.

I would love to get a Baja as well. Everyone of my friends dogs me for it, but purely from a functional point of view, there is nothing on the market that is as versatile as the Baja. It really suits the ultimate daily driver needs.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/14/08 4:42 p.m.

A friend of mine bought one new. He seemed to like it, he didn't have any real problems (except getting himself hit a few times). I think they do share the common characteristic of all Subarus, not so great gas mileage.

I can't imagine there are any issues that wouldn't affect all of the Subaru's, they are pretty similar.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/14/08 4:43 p.m.

I know they come in colors other than yellow....but they are SOOOOOOO rarely seen. There's a silver "mono-tone" Baja in this area. What other colors?

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
11/14/08 4:51 p.m.

I've seen some black/gray two-tone Bajas before.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/14/08 4:57 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I know they come in colors other than yellow....but they are SOOOOOOO rarely seen. There's a silver "mono-tone" Baja in this area. What other colors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Baja#Paint_colors_by_model_year

I haven't put much thought into the Taco or Frontier (Explorer Sport-Trac is out) as I'm pretty much over my F-150... Hmmm... They'ed probably be cheaper... I wonder how hard it would be to find one 4x4 manual

Edit: Oh man, supercharged Frontiers run $5k less than similar year turbo Subies...YEEESH! The mpg isn't much better than my current truck, though...

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
11/14/08 5:08 p.m.

SC Frontier v. Subie Baja...& you want a truck bed...is this a trick question?

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
11/14/08 5:17 p.m.

Well I'm looking at an SC Frontier right now but based on some limited research i did I found out that the SCs OEM'ed from Eaton are not very reliable. Some people had failures as early as 35k, other around 60k. The general consensus was to buy the non-SC version at least on the earlier Frontiers.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/14/08 6:11 p.m.
B02S4 wrote: SC Frontier v. Subie Baja...& you want a truck bed...is this a trick question?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

A "truck" bed would be a plus. Like I said, I like having it. I've never lived with a wagon or baby-SUV thingy like the Forester, so I don't know how much usefulness I would lose.

The Baja is just plain funky cool. It wouldn't take a whole lot to get them into low 14s, either.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/14/08 6:50 p.m.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
11/14/08 7:06 p.m.

If you could swing the bucks, an 05 or later Frontier Crew Cab with the VQ40 engine would make a nice ride, especially if you are coming from an F150. IMO they are a much better truck than the previous gen Frontier with the VG33.

The SC version of the VG33 isn't really that strong by the butt dyno, but it is stronger than the NA version.

The Brat was cute. Bajas just leave me cold; a Subie sedan sans a trunk lid with a little tailgate.

But it's your call & your money, not mine.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/14/08 7:25 p.m.

Nissan Frontier gas mileage = no bueno :(

Do you need a truck or not? That is the real question. The baja isn't a truck but the Frontier, taco, tundra, chev, ford are real trucks. Once you can answer the question on your needs then you will know what your options are.

If gas mileage isn't a big concern full size trucks and SUVs are ceap and you can't beat the utility. My personal fave is the 1st gen tundra as it will get pretty much the same mileage as the taco and frontier but with way more capability at pretty much the same price. Older T100s aren't bad either. If you want a sporty car with some utility consider a Mazda6 wagon. They all came with the 3.0 V6, handle well for a sedan and can haul a decent amount of stuff.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/14/08 7:40 p.m.

The Frontier is about the largest I'd be willing to go. The bucks could not be swung for the larger, newer Frontier, anyway.

Not, I don't need a truck. Towing would be limited to a small boat and/or a motorcycle. I do not want a full-sized truck. I've already got one of those, and while it's been useful, if I'm going to buy a full-sized truck, why buy what I already have. I'm a bit burnt out on parking and feeding one.

I thought of the Mazda6 wagon. Did those come in manual for the V6?

Oh yeah, manual is a requirement.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
11/14/08 7:58 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: I thought of the Mazda6 wagon. Did those come in manual for the V6? Oh yeah, manual is a *requirement*.

Yep.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/14/08 8:01 p.m.
ArtOfRuin wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: I thought of the Mazda6 wagon. Did those come in manual for the V6? Oh yeah, manual is a *requirement*.
Yep.

Warms up CrazedList

Damnit, none within like, 500 miles. Expand search area!

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
11/14/08 8:09 p.m.

I got to drive a Mazda6 V6 5-door. About the only thing I didn't like about it was the autotragic. It's a good commuter car with a bit of an edge to it. They're on the newish side, so you may have better luck trying to get one at a stealership.

With all of my siblings away at college this year, I was pushing my dad hard to get a Mazda6 hatch to replace our '98 MPV, which was suffering one annoying failure after the other (kinda like my FC3S...). He settled on a Buick Rendevous FWD instead (booorrriiinnggg).

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
11/14/08 11:36 p.m.

Maybe you've brainwashed me, but I am starting to like the idea of the Baja. It doesn't make sense at all, but in a way, it does. You should drive one and see if it's what you like.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/08 6:58 a.m.

Should have been called the Outbrat.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 New Reader
11/15/08 8:12 a.m.

I saw a Baja driving home on Thursday (in that lovely golden yellow). The gag reflex I had seeing one when they first came out wasn't nearly so strong, and I found myself liking it. The Legacy wagon is more practical, and there's not much chance of seeing one in my driveway, but they have grown on me.

Now what I'd like to find (in decent shape) is one of the VW Rabbit pickups. Or even better, a Mini pickup with a gun rack.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/15/08 8:13 a.m.
ZOOMiata wrote: Should have been called the Outbrat.

Brat-worst

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/15/08 8:32 a.m.

http://thesuperu.com/ <-- this guy makes me think bad things.

He's now getting a lift kit from Aussie land to get this effect.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/08 9:07 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote:
ZOOMiata wrote: Should have been called the Outbrat.
Brat-worst

I bow to your superior wit. All hail the king.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
11/15/08 9:08 a.m.
Now what I'd like to find (in decent shape) is one of the VW Rabbit pickups.

He slapped a MK3 TDi turbo onto it, straight piped the exhaust out the side, and he now runs a different set of rims that stick out about 3 inches past the fenders. Hilarious! It is his daily driver/shop truck, he hauls all of his parts and tools in it, and usually has somebody take it out to the local car shows.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yh0W5JKlPVo8klIK9GwJbRp2LB8xrJr9tHPjas6DIr389MdRQWtL76MhpaApyIc7