1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/10/12 9:14 a.m.

This car has been for sale on the JAX CL for some time. Nice looking, seemingly well done 3rd gen Camaro. Asking price is too high for me though. You could start building something along these lines.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/3225476644.html

Looking to sell my '91 Z28. Been building it for several years, but I'm looking to clear out some debt. Just recently finished, but have not had a chance to drive it other than around the block. Just needs a couple of small items, and it will be a perfect cruiser. It was stripped down to bare metal, and built with the custom items listed below.

Tubular K-member: custom made piece from PA Racing, strengthened for road racing and incorporates mounts for a Ford rack and pinion Front tubular control arms: Made by BMR Spindles: Fabricated by Racecraft inc, incorporate a 2" drop and have a shortened steering arm for the rack and pinion Struts: made by Koni and are adjustable Upper strut mounts: Made by Spohn, large improvement over stock Front coilover kit: Made by Spohn, allows for adjustable ride height Outer tie rods: they are a bump steer kit made by Baer brakes Rack and pinion: stock piece made for a ford Thunderbird Front brakes: Brembo 4 piston calipers with 14" rotors Brake lines (all): Made by inline tube Radiator: new aftermarket replacement Rear end: stock unit from the donor car, but was rebuilt with new bearings and seals, Torsen diff and Richmond 3.73 gears Rear shocks: Koni adjustable Rear coilovers: made by Koni Panhard bar: Made by UMI, tubular, rod ended, fully adjustable Panhard relocation: Made by Founders inc, offers more room around the axle for exhaust to be routed Exhaust: fabricated with mandrel bends and a pair of Borla S type mufflers Wheels: Made by Forgestar, lightweight, fronts are 19x9 rears are 19x11 Tires: Hankook ventus V12 Evo, fronts 275/30/19 rears 295/30/19

Engine: LS1 block, fully machined Rotating assembly: Mahle forged pistons, Mahle file fit rings, Scat rods, new oem crank, Clevite bearings, fully balanced Camshaft: Lg Motorsports G6X3 Lifters: LS7 racing lifters Oil pump: new ported LS6 oil pump ARP Head studs Crane roller rocker arms Push rods: Comp cams Heads: stock casting 799 heads, with patriot gold dual valve springs, titanium retainers, and locks Gaskets: all new and oem Intake manifold: Fast 90mm Throttle body: Nick Williams 90mm Fuel rails: Fast billet rails Injectors: OEM gm 32#

Trans: stock t56 speed gear box Clutch: Textrailia twin disc clutch Hydraulics: New OEM clutch master and slave cylinders Shifter: New, made by B&M

Hood: Made by VFN and is an ultra light weight fiberglass piece Weatherstripping: All new and OEM GM Carpet: new, made by ACC Seats: New racing style with openings for racing harness Roll bar: New, made by Comp Engineering Steering wheel: New made by Momo, suede wrapped Fuel lines: New, custom braided lines Power window motors: New, OEM pieces Belt moldings: new, OEM

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
9/10/12 10:17 a.m.

that's really nice!.funny how i'm stumped on such a popular car, i swear if it was a buick or cadillac i'd have a billion ideas. i'm thinking tpi350 or lt1 , or a 5.7 vortec witha 4barrel....or a 6.0 with a t56.... forced induction? turbo/supercharged small block? wheels? susp settup? rear disk? ugh...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/12 10:43 a.m.

I believe "Camero" is the proper spelling.

I have no ideas other than actually getting "Camero" stickers made. Although I'd be strongly tempted to follow the path well trodden and drop in a 350. It's so easy, why make things difficult?

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
9/10/12 11:04 a.m.

Looks like you are not alone. ThirdGen.org has 163,567 members.

alex
alex UltraDork
9/10/12 11:17 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:

God help me, I love this.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/12 12:22 p.m.
alex wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
God help me, I love this.

That looks nice.

Somebody must have already bondo'd over the slit where the aftermarket LED lights were once cut into the front bumper cover.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/10/12 12:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I believe "Camero" is the proper spelling.

I believe that is only true when Bitchin' is used as a prefix.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
9/10/12 12:36 p.m.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/10/12 12:52 p.m.

Carb'ed 350, drops right in and is so easy, even chevy guys can do it

I do like the idea of the jacked rear with mudders.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/12 12:55 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: I believe "Camero" is the proper spelling.
I believe that is only true when Bitchin' is used as a prefix.

Doughnuts on your lawn!

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/10/12 12:56 p.m.

But then again I would typically stay away from camaros, but drool over firebirds...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
9/10/12 1:01 p.m.

4.8, LS6 intake, cam, valve springs and rev that beyotch to the moon. I'm thinking it should handle at least 8k rpms with the right cam/springs.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/10/12 1:04 p.m.

Dare to be different! Buy my 351 Windsor and drop that thing in!!!
Seriously, if you aren't a snob, what's not to like? Not ugly, cheap to buy, repair and modify, and can be easily made to run fast and corner hard. It's really a perfect example of GRM.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/10/12 1:09 p.m.

Turbodiesel!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/12 1:10 p.m.

I'd love a clean 3rd Gen Camaro to play with!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/10/12 1:26 p.m.

I just got the new issue of Hot Rod yesterday, and there's an article on a killer street/open track 3rd gen. Made me start to look at them differently than I ever have before.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/12 1:33 p.m.

I was suggesting the 305 TPI route as quick, easy, and much less expensive way to get back on the road. The later Cars had 230hp/300lbs with the G92 option. That's not bad IMHO.

vern2point3
vern2point3 New Reader
9/10/12 2:58 p.m.

LS-7 crate motor!!! Aluminum Chevy goodness and all-American horsepower in an F-body auto-x- prepared chassis.

Then go make everyone running your class hate Camaros.

J308
J308 Reader
9/10/12 3:02 p.m.

tree fiddy.

Also, I like the mud tires suggestion.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
9/10/12 3:16 p.m.

Take-off C4, C5, C6 wheels are easily adapted as are 4th gen Camaro wheels. The same can be said for calipers.

Or just sell it and buy a 1986 Krepke. Try to find a rust free example, if possible.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/10/12 3:28 p.m.
Steve Chryssos wrote: Looks like you are not alone. ThirdGen.org has 163,567 members.

too bad about 5-10 of those people actually know anything about working on cars.

someone else said that a 350 is cheaper than swapping in an LS engine.. go price a few of them out, then price out a junkyard 5.3 and the parts needed to put one of those in with a carburetor.. the old school stuff doesn't seem like such a bargain any more.. hell, i spent close to $1500 on a basic rebuild on a freakin 305 to put in my Camaro by the time i had the car running.. i could have done a junkyard 5.3 for about the same cost and had similar or better mileage with a ton more power.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/12 3:41 p.m.

5.3 LS truck motors are so cheap these days, I'm considering a chump project. And I'm an 'import guy.'

Too bad T5s are made of cheese and T56 are $$$$

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/10/12 3:51 p.m.

W/ the LS engine availability I'd be hard pressed to ever build another old school 350

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/12 6:51 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: 5.3 LS truck motors are so cheap these days, I'm considering a chump project. And I'm an 'import guy.' Too bad T5s are made of cheese and T56 are $$$$

Yes, this. exactly.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
9/10/12 8:21 p.m.

anyone opposed to a 4.3 v6 with a turbocharger? is it worth the trouble??

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GgReZiP3u4Dtl5FbIYCiMX6aQ9Ev9X5gg4xtsQwZO76midlVsyRQOgkiKqm54aXC