1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/12 8:50 p.m.

I have a 4.8L LS sitting in the shop for when we get to the point where I can have a project again. I would use a 3rd gen Camaro as a donor to build a 6+6+3 Locost with a couple of hair dryer mufflers to keep it quiet.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
9/10/12 9:09 p.m.

Is this your Camaro?

You could go nuts and drop a 4cyl in there. The General did early in the 3rd gen's life.

This is the only image I could find from a '84 Hot Rod article on the Super Duty Iron Duke 2.5 Firebird:

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/10/12 10:19 p.m.

Something with a turbo.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/12 10:32 p.m.

This:

is in the latest issue of Hot Rod. I'd like to tell you about it, but I've been reading the article for three days and can't make it to the end without passing out from lack of blood flow.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/11/12 12:48 a.m.
Javelin wrote: This: is in the latest issue of Hot Rod. I'd like to tell you about it, but I've been reading the article for three days and can't make it to the end without passing out from lack of blood flow.

yeah, me too.. it's like that guy got into my head and did everything to his car that i want to do to mine.. i'd even give up the gas mileage from the overdrive trans just to have a Jerico like that..

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/11/12 12:51 a.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: anyone opposed to a 4.3 v6 with a turbocharger? is it worth the trouble??

nothing wrong with that combo- GMC did it on the Syclone and Typhoon trucks- but it's a lot of effort just to get something that makes as much power as a similarly built 350 without the turbo and gets worse mileage..

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
9/11/12 1:19 p.m.

+1 on the ls swap, if you are on a budget you have a lot of options from 5.3,5.7,6.0 and if you get a truck motor with an iron block you can punch it out to whatever you want.

I have a WC(World Class) T5 behind my TPI 350 and it has held up to years of AutoX and Track Days, and an occasional drift event or test and tune at the drag strip. I use Lucas transmission fluid and change it ever year,i try not to power shift, and heel n toe downshift. they can last behind a mild 350 if they are not abused.

You can rebuild the T5 with GForce internals, to take 500+hp it would be cheaper/lighter than a rebuilt T56 because just to get a stock core costs 1000+ and they still usually need to be rebuilt

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/11/12 1:40 p.m.

Out of morbid curiosity:
Does the 4.3L straight six fit?

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
9/11/12 10:38 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
hotrodlarry wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: Junkyard Quadrajet and grow your mullet.
fixed.
Now its fixed

superfixed!

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/11/12 11:52 p.m.

as someone who is currently working on a LS swap for my 3rd gen, and understanding that you really arent even sure you want to keep the camoro, i would suggest going with a tpi 350 and get it running well enough to decide if you like it, and deciding where you want to go with it, before going further.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
9/12/12 3:05 p.m.

you know, i saw the ram intake manifolds that match (the ports for) vortec heads, i had a 96 two door tahoe that ran 14's on the 5.7 with minor bolt ons and a hand held flasher, ... i wonder if lt1 rods fit a 96-99 5.7 ? even stock the vortec5.7 has 260hp and 330tq. i'm sure a cam , some 1.6 roller rockers and the tpi style ram intake and those numbers can only improve... but would f-body accesories bolt on? what computer to use? better to use a vortec/carb intake manifold?

Southtexassupra
Southtexassupra New Reader
9/12/12 4:16 p.m.

TPI 305 with 400 crank + turbo. silly....i know, but awesome.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
9/12/12 4:28 p.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: i wonder if lt1 rods fit a 96-99 5.7 ? even stock the vortec5.7 has 260hp and 330tq. i'm sure a cam , some 1.6 roller rockers and the tpi style ram intake and those numbers can only improve... but would f-body accesories bolt on? what computer to use? better to use a vortec/carb intake manifold?

LT1 rods would fit a 96-99 5.7vortec motor,LT1 f body accesories should bolt on, if your using a tpi style injection set up, and want an plug and play ECU id check out dynamic EFI. A carb would definitley be cheaper, and more simple, but i wouldnt say better.

What would you want to do with the car? Whats your budget?

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/12/12 8:27 p.m.
midniteson wrote:
stealthfighter1 wrote: i wonder if lt1 rods fit a 96-99 5.7 ? even stock the vortec5.7 has 260hp and 330tq. i'm sure a cam , some 1.6 roller rockers and the tpi style ram intake and those numbers can only improve... but would f-body accesories bolt on? what computer to use? better to use a vortec/carb intake manifold?
LT1 rods would fit a 96-99 5.7vortec motor,LT1 f body accesories should bolt on, if your using a tpi style injection set up, and want an plug and play ECU id check out dynamic EFI. A carb would definitley be cheaper, and more simple, but i wouldnt say better. What would you want to do with the car? Whats your budget?

what would one hope to accomplish by taking a set of standard 5.7" long PM rods from one small block Chevy (LT1) and putting them in another small block that used the exact same rods (96-99 Vortec) from the factory? those LT1 rods will fit any medium journal small block built since 1968 except for the 400 and the 4.3 liter L99 "baby LT1" that was in 94-96 Caprices..

LT1 accessories won't work on anything that isn't an LT1, LT4, or L99- but the vortec truck accessories will bolt to any small block Chevy built after 1969 that has the holes drilled in the end of the head. i found out this spring that hood clearance at the AC compressor will be a major issue if you try to use vortec truck accessories in a 3rd gen F body..

here is a 305 with vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, and vortec truck accessories in my 86 Camaro.. any small block Chevy- be it vortec or not- will look like this with vortec heads and accessories on it.. i had to move the AC delete pulley down to an existing tapped boss on the bracket because when i put it in the stock compressor location, the hoodline was even with about the middle of the pulley. the alternator is about 2" under the hood.. if keeping AC is a consideration, then try to find a TBI or TPI F body accessory setup.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
9/12/12 9:04 p.m.

honestly i have no real use for this car , other than to build something cool and scary that i could drive on the street, but could be a potential autox car, my budget? zero really.... the least the better.

i was under the impression lt1 rods were a safe upgrade in most sbc, id like to go as siple of a fuel injection system, to potentially hang a turbo onto a concoction thay may arise and make it's way into the car... i even thought big block...

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/13/12 1:01 a.m.
stealthfighter1 wrote: honestly i have no real use for this car , other than to build something cool and scary that i could drive on the street, but could be a potential autox car, my budget? zero really.... the least the better. i was under the impression lt1 rods were a safe upgrade in most sbc, id like to go as siple of a fuel injection system, to potentially hang a turbo onto a concoction thay may arise and make it's way into the car... i even thought big block...

follow this recipe to many fun happy good times:

start with a 96-99 Vortec 350 long block.. buy the GM HOT cam kit part number 12480002 from either your local GM dealer or Summit/Jegs.

pull the heads off and take them in to get screw in rocker arms studs and install the LT4 valve springs and lightweight retainers that come with the cam kit. also clearance the rocker arm slots so they don't rub with the LT4 1.6 rocker arms.

put the HOT cam in the engine with a new GM single roller timing chain set, bolt the heads on with the thinnest steel shim head gaskets you can find, and top it off with either a Performer or Performer RPM intake with either a quadrajet or a 750cfm Holley or Edelbrock carb.. run Hedman long tube headers and a decent exhaust with 3.73-4.10 gears, and you'll have 400hp worth of fun that will idle like a stock 350 but pull hard to 7000+ rpm and get close to or above 20mpg when you drive it nice..

i had this combo in my 71 Nova (with a Performer intake and an Edelbrock 1910 Quadrajet) backed by a T10 4 speed and 3.70 gears.. it was a hoot and it was dead reliable.

or just swap in a 5.3 with the GM HOT cam for LS engines and make the same power as my previous combo for half as much money.. i wish i had just gone the 5.3 route this spring instead of the 305.. oh well.. live and learn..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kaqo0knzaSCs6qzngF5DH1edHjCYi7x9wRQGXtlyrIPqkXtaMlD3k1oKoHQtk8pa