1 2
Incursus
Incursus New Reader
3/16/16 11:45 p.m.

I'm really wanting a daily that I can RallyX and AutoX in. Also, the new Focus RS makes me pine for the original, 2 door hatch Focus RS. All that aside, I was hoping someone in the forum had any experience with the old zx3. Yeah, I could probably visit a ford focus forum, but I've done that so many times for so many cars that I've honestly lost track until birthday messages from all the forums roll in around december.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
3/17/16 12:28 a.m.

I had an 03 with the zetec, never had any problems except for the poorly designed thermostat housing leaking and sway bar endlinks. I dunno your budget but I'd try to go 05-07 as they had the Duratec or if your lucky maybe a first generation with the 2.3. They handle well for a car that cheap. I'm kinda torn between looking for a focus wagon and a 2wd truck for my next vehicle.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
3/17/16 12:30 a.m.

And if you do get one focus fanatics and focal jet have lots of how tos for the common problems. The good thing is parts are cheap and plentiful and to a point so are upgrades and mods, at least they were years ago not sure about now

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/17/16 2:24 a.m.

I'm a fan of the later ones with the duratec, especially the 2.3L previously mentioned. Cosworth made a trick intake manifold for them that really wakes them up.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/17/16 2:47 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: I'm a fan of the later ones with the duratec, especially the 2.3L previously mentioned. Cosworth made a trick intake manifold for them that really wakes them up.

Yeah the 2.3l Duratec with Cosworth intake and tune was a 200 hp engine. Not bad for a mass produced engine with a swappable part and a tune.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/17/16 2:51 a.m.
G8MikeGXP
G8MikeGXP New Reader
3/17/16 5:17 a.m.

I had an 03. The only thing that ever went wrong was the sway bar end links, as mentioned above. I put the SVT suspension on it. It was pretty wallowy without it. At the time, I had to search part numbers to put together the full set. Now you can buy it as a kit for something like $200. I still think about picking one up.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/17/16 7:31 a.m.
Incursus wrote: I'm really wanting a daily that I can RallyX and AutoX in. Also, the new Focus RS makes me pine for the original, 2 door hatch Focus RS. All that aside, I was hoping someone in the forum had any experience with the old zx3. Yeah, I could probably visit a ford focus forum, but I've done that so many times for so many cars that I've honestly lost track until birthday messages from all the forums roll in around december.

no help on the Focus, but hilariously I get the same thing from the million forums I am on each birthday lol.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
3/17/16 7:32 a.m.

SWMBO has a 2008. The '08 to '11 cars are slightly heavier than the MK1 and MK1.5, BUT the chassis is significantly stiffer to start with, and the interior is better put together, and Duratec > than Ztec. For reasons unknown, beginning with the 2005-1/2 cars, Ford slightly modified the front struts by making the outer tube diameter slightly larger and slightly changing the upper strut mounts but left all the mounting locations un-modified; the rear suspension was completely unchanged. Also, for reasons unknown, only the MK1 chassis (through '04) has the has all the good aftermarket struts/shocks and spring options, BUT if you use this

http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/massive-speed-system/massive-omnikit-suspension-adaptor/mass10106/i-252473.aspx

plus the MK1 front upper strut mount assembly, you have instant bolt-in front strut awesomeness available. Just use the Omni-Kit front strut adapters do all your high-performance suspension shopping for the '00 to '05 cars. Sway bars and related hardware did not change from '00 to'11. Another reason to look for an '08 to'11 car, specifically an SE or SES model with the "sport" suspension (identified by the 16 inch wheels) since they come with the rear sway bar mounting point, is that Ford reinforced the rear sway bar bracket mounting location. In short, find a '08 to '11 Focus that already has a factory rear sway bar, use the Omni-Kit front strut adapter, and do your suspension shopping as if you had an '03 SVT Focus. On SWMBO's '08 I have the H&R Sport Springs, Koni Orange struts and shocks, and 22mm front/25mm rear sway bars and it is just giggly in the corners and ride quality is SWMBO Approved. Plus the Duratec responds extremely well to the standard Intake/cat-back exhaust (2.25 inch)/dyno tune.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/17/16 7:45 a.m.

Too bad the 2nd gen was never offered in hatch form.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
3/17/16 7:46 a.m.
Storz wrote: no help on the Focus, but hilariously I get the same thing from the million forums I am on each birthday lol.

Once a year: "Toyotaforums? WTF? Oh...right...the Camry." shudder

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
3/17/16 7:57 a.m.

My current DD is a 2006 ZX3 that I have had since new. I can't complain other than I wish it would die so I could justify something more exciting.

Check for subframe rust. I have heard that they go through wheel bearings, but I have not had this experience myself. I have gone through tires pretty quickly, but that's operator error.

The downside to the 06 and 07 models is that there is very little aftermarket suspension options, and they do not share with earlier stuff. The good news is that you can get the ST struts/shocks (option when they were new) for like $200 for all four corners from Ford Performance.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
3/17/16 8:16 a.m.

In reply to pushrod36:

Again, just use the Omni-Kit strut adapters that I linked to above, and '00 to '04 upper strut mounts, and you have all the performance suspension options in the world available.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/17/16 8:48 a.m.

Focus with the 2.3 are very rare.

The SVT was based on the 2.0 Zetec.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
3/17/16 9:01 a.m.

My boy has one, 2000 sedan. Great little car. He's got springs/bars on it, strut tower brace, and rear brace (don't know if you can do that with the hatches), but it's great fun to drive. He's got an SVT header on it, throttle body, and a tune, and it runs about as quick as my '12 (I think the SVT header might be too much for the car, but...).

Pretty much basic maintenance, but since he autocrosses a lot, he's replaced a couple of front bearing assemblies.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/17/16 9:12 a.m.

Used to have a 2000 model; I put about 40,000 miles on it and it only gave me two problems - the handbrake lever broke, and it had the "leaky cabin vent" problem that I fixed with a modified cabin filter box from Focus Salvage.

hhaase
hhaase New Reader
3/17/16 9:53 a.m.

Had an '00. IIRC it was up to 14 recalls before I traded it in.

Fun car, kinda miss it, but didn't fit much stuff.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
3/17/16 9:56 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote: strut tower brace, and rear brace (don't know if you can do that with the hatches)

Pretty sure you can, I think I've seen an SVT hatch with front and rear braces. But I guess that would kind of ruin the practical aspects of the hatch

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/17/16 11:27 a.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote:
OldGray320i wrote: strut tower brace, and rear brace (don't know if you can do that with the hatches)
Pretty sure you can, I think I've seen an SVT hatch with front and rear braces. But I guess that would kind of ruin the practical aspects of the hatch

It fits, all right. Focus Sport bar in an '03:

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
3/17/16 1:28 p.m.
hhaase wrote: Had an '00. IIRC it was up to 14 recalls before I traded it in. Fun car, kinda miss it, but didn't fit much stuff.

It wasn't a hatch was it, bc the hatches had a nice big opening, I transported, a washer, dryer, hot water heater, live xmas tree In mine. All one at a time of course but still I wouldn't complain

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
3/17/16 2:10 p.m.

If anything ever happens to the 12, I think I'm going to go find a hatch or an SVT (2 door). I'm really smitten by the little buggers.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
3/17/16 4:01 p.m.

When I was car shopping a couple years ago, I almost bought a Focus Wagon with a stick shift. That was instantly rejected.

I think the Zx3/Zx5 hatches have become the defacto cheap hatchback that the Civic once was.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/17/16 4:36 p.m.

I have a 2001 that I put the full SVT suspension and brake kits on. Also upgraded the rear sway to a 25mm Eibach unit. It handles very well.

Engine has cams, exhaust system and a supercharger. So instead of the 108WHP that was stock it is now at 223WHP. Makes for a lot of fun!

As noted by others, the 2.3 Duratec engine is the way to go if you can find one. Best location for that is CA and the "green states" of New England for hatches or the 2005 ST sedan which was available in all states. The Cosworth manifold for the Duratec makes a lot of difference but is hard to find and expensive because they were only made for a couple years.

The 2.3 Duratec was found in 2003-2005 cars so you can use the older suspension kits without the need for the adaptor bushings.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
3/17/16 5:03 p.m.

Don't buy one with cracked above-the-license-plate hatch trim because you can never get another from the junkyard.

They're all rusted with brittle studs.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/17/16 7:38 p.m.

I recommend checking the license plate lights for corrosion on early zx3's....they'll corrode and for reasons unknown, fry the running lights circuit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rW5ixnMf9fNeiYOfqmpK5dHuqWEzOPH6K7K9esFnZAEDWdYCrTaNdRbQYM4NgQ8m