Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
12/14/14 4:02 a.m.

In adolescence, Porsches always took the backseat in my automotive fantasies. They had mere 6-cylinder engines, they all looked more or less the same, and the official color seems to be silver rather than some brighter, more flashy color.

And then this year, I drove one.

It was just a few miles in a Cayman S. With a PDK, to be exact. But man, was it glorious to hear that flat six behind me. It just felt... right.

So, for those with some experience, what is it like to live with a Porsche day to day? How much more is the running cost of a mid-naughts Boxster or Cayman compared to say, a Honda Accord of the same vintage? I know that the hundred and one project books exist.

While my current automotive strategy was to replace the Focus with a new or almost-new do-it-all car, in the event that I move to another place with a garage, I could keep the Focus until I have to shoot it out behind the shed and have another fun car to play with.

Though I haven't started losing hair yet, I think that Porsche lust is simply a hormonal response.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/14 6:57 a.m.

If looking at a first generation boxer or cayman make sure that an IMS bearing retrofit has been done, or budget for one immediately, if you go that route contact Charles Navarro at LN engineering and tell him that I sent you. Regarding cost of ownership, brakes, tires and fluids will all cost more and you'll go through brakes and tires more frequently, but that'll be the case with any high performance vehicle as they're just a more expensive consumable due to materials used and size. Resale value helps evens out cost of ownership when the time comes to sell. If the math doesn't add up for you and you want something similar in spirit without the same performance threshold an S52 M coupes or Frisbee twin is the best bet even though neither offer mid engined dynamics

wheeler
wheeler New Reader
12/14/14 10:48 a.m.

My buddy has an 07 Cayman S with a manual. He's had very good luck with his so far. Whatever you get...get a PPI from a shop you trust!! I drive an 09 911 C2s, manual, with porsche sports exhaust and a fabspeed x pipe...the sound my car makes is a HUGE part of the driving experience! Intoxicating to say the least.

Anyway, I think if more people actually took the time to go test drive a Cayman or 911 they would "get it". The driving experience between say a corvette and my 997 could not be more different. If you were around the KC area I'd give you the 10 cent ride in my car.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/14/14 10:51 a.m.

If available in some shade of brown, choose that.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/14 4:33 p.m.

I have a Cayman S. It hasn't needed much in the way of maintenance.

They're never going to be as cheap and easy to maintain as an Accord (of which I have owned four from new and one used), but it's worth noting that one of my Accords is scheduled to get new rings under warranty at 67k miles.

Brake pads aren't all that expensive, but rotors are a little pricey. On most of my cars, I usually just replace rotors with the pads, but on Porsches I try to cut them at least once as long as there is enough meat left on them. There are enough people building track cars that if mine were too thin to cut, I'd probably look on Pelican or Rennlist for some low mileage stockers that someone is removing to install a big brake kit and cut them.

Oil changes will be more expensive than you're used to, but that's because they hold a lot of oil and they come from the factory with synthetic in them. At my last oil change, I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs and they said that there was nothing in there but oil.

Tires are expensive because they are big.

It's been a very easy car to live with. Mine is a six speed with the factory short shifter. My next one will have the PDK.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
12/14/14 4:58 p.m.

I've only owned 356s, but the rear-engine driving experience, even in these antiques, is different from a front wheel drive/front engine rear wheel drive car. You need to be careful not to lift off of the gas and apply the brakes too quickly, especially in a long high speed turn like entering or exiting the highway.

Otherwise, open your wallet end enjoy the ride ! ! !

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
12/14/14 5:11 p.m.

I've had a few a/c 911s. Tires were the biggest expense I dealt with. One needed a windshield. That was around $300. Pads were cheap. Rotors weren't bad for stock ones. Cayman or Boxster bits are probably more pricey than the a/c stuff for some things. Good odds for a cayman as a future car for me

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QgngBZfBuEq6ZOStGqsBpsAaYCOTw2BBwGx7q9hzRurIfM3DIEhiWApatOof9sQg