1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/18 10:27 a.m.

It's cool to pretend not to be interested in football. That's ok. Or maybe you just can't stomach the Pats or the Eagles or patriotic beer ads with farmers, pickups and giant horses. Understandable.

This weekend, we have one of the most exciting races of the year: the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 hour. GT3 cars pounding around the most iconic track in the southern hemisphere. A race that starts in the dark - with no night practice. Kangaroos. A margin of victory that is typically less than 10 seconds.

Qualifying is a top ten shootout: one flying lap with the track to yourself, that's all.

The entry list: Lamborghini. Bentley. Porsche. Mercedes. Porsche. McLaren. Ferrari. Porsche. Audi. BMW. KTM. Ginetta. MARC. Dodge Viper. Daytona Coupe. Mustangs. V8 RWD Ford Focus. V8 RWD Mazda 3. And probably a few more Porsches.

Available for streaming: http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/streams-tv/international-streaming/

The green flag drops at 1:45 pm Eastern, 11:45 am Mountain, 10:45 am Pacific on Saturday and goes for 12 hours (duh). Top Ten qualifying shootout is at 10:15 pm Mountain on Friday.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
2/1/18 10:33 a.m.

I'll be at work, but it will be a slow day and my boss won't be here... hoping I can stream this on my work computer :)

bluej
bluej UltraDork
2/1/18 10:36 a.m.

Ooo, thanks for reminding.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/18 10:48 a.m.

YES!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/1/18 11:02 a.m.

You sir, are a scholar and a saint. 

Do we have to do anything special to stream this? Pay? VPN? etc?

Keith Tanner
2/1/18 11:21 a.m.

It doesn't say anything on the link about paying for streaming, but it does specify free streaming for ANZAC people. IIRC it's been free every other year and there's no obvious payment mechanism.

If you click on the little i in the upper right corner of the stream placeholders it tells you when it will be live in your time zone.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/1/18 11:28 a.m.

My Twitter feed is all excited over this. Much bigger than Daytona was according to the people I follow.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
2/1/18 11:32 a.m.

I'll be at the track on Sunday. But if it really does snow all day like they're now calling for, this will be a good backup plan.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/1/18 11:42 a.m.

Literally couldn't care less about football. I follow it just enough to know what my customers are talking about. I'll be watching the caps game. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/18 11:59 a.m.

I'll also be at the track on Sunday and will be working on my car and then at an awards ceremony on Saturday, but I'd watch it if I had the time! Unlike football. devil

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/1/18 12:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It doesn't say anything on the link about paying for streaming, but it does specify free streaming for ANZAC people. IIRC it's been free every other year and there's no obvious payment mechanism.

If you click on the little i in the upper right corner of the stream placeholders it tells you when it will be live in your time zone.

There is a free stream on the Bathurst 12 hour website for those of us living outside of Australia and New Zealand. It also includes the qualifying and support races the day before. Some interesting racing there aswell with the combined sedans and improved production races etc.

haus356
haus356 New Reader
2/1/18 12:29 p.m.

Just to clarify,  the Bathurst 12 hour is run Saturday into Sunday in the US.  The race starts pre-dawn on Sunday in Australia, but that is Saturday here - see the times in the original post.  I've streamed this race via their website for several years and it is something I build my weekend plans around - it is my favorite race of the year.  Great racing on a beautiful circuit and often times there are 8 or 9 different marques in the top 10.  There are plenty of international drivers you will recognize if you follow sportscar racing even a little bit.  I've never had to pay a fee and the stream quality and commentary is very good.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/1/18 12:58 p.m.
haus356 said:

Just to clarify,  the Bathurst 12 hour is run Saturday into Sunday in the US.  The race starts pre-dawn on Sunday in Australia, but that is Saturday here - see the times in the original post.  I've streamed this race via their website for several years and it is something I build my weekend plans around - it is my favorite race of the year.  Great racing on a beautiful circuit and often times there are 8 or 9 different marques in the top 10.  There are plenty of international drivers you will recognize if you follow sportscar racing even a little bit.  I've never had to pay a fee and the stream quality and commentary is very good.

Well anything is fun and exciting to watch when you have john hindhaugh announcing.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
2/1/18 1:01 p.m.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be tuning in.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
2/1/18 1:41 p.m.

Keith,

Thanks for the headsup! Got it in the calender

Rog

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
2/1/18 2:10 p.m.

I think there was a legitimate Youtube stream last year. If it's the same this year I'll be tuning in.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
2/1/18 2:16 p.m.

Yes, this is much better than the stupor bowl

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
2/1/18 2:18 p.m.

I love you guys

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/1/18 4:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Available for streaming: http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/streams-tv/international-streaming/

The green flag drops at 1:45 pm Eastern, 11:45 am Mountain, 10:45 am Pacific on Saturday and goes for 12 hours (duh). Top Ten qualifying shootout is at 10:15 pm Mountain on Friday.

As usual, we get ignored here in flyover land.... wink   The green flag drops at 12:45 pm Central.  smiley

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
2/1/18 4:49 p.m.

" V8 RWD Mazda 3 "

... go on...

Really though, any details on this craziness?

Keith Tanner
2/1/18 4:51 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Keith Tanner said:

As usual, we get ignored here in flyover land.... wink   The green flag drops at 12:45 pm Central.  smiley

You guys are smart enough to do the math on your own, you don't need babysitting like the coasts devil.

As for the V8 Mazda - fielded by MARC. This seems to be it: https://www.speedcafe.com/2015/02/04/bathurst-bound-mazda-3-v8-breaks-cover/

I think it's a spec chassis wearing a hat that looks like a Mazda 3. Doesn't make it any less fun to think about.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/18 4:53 p.m.
oilstain said:

" V8 RWD Mazda 3 "

... go on...

Really though, any details on this craziness?

Its a tube frame car with Ford drivetrain components similar in build to an older V8 SuperCar.  They are often rental or customer cars.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
2/1/18 5:42 p.m.

Watched a good bit of it last year.  Some of the most entertaining racing I've seen in a long time.  Where else do you get to see a McLaren supercar belch it's flaming engine guts onto the track?

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/1/18 6:28 p.m.

And lots of drama near the end of the race last year with Shane van Gisbergen and his bmw teammate maro engel.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/18 7:36 p.m.

Nice, I'll have to tune in once I get home from the the Majors race this weekend. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KiXQ84nBBOh37OXtgVPjwMbNk5p4NOO7J2DIERoJ9QrpgJuPrlSzD5KPbG6Agq69