Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/9/24 3:47 p.m.
feature_image

“iRacing” and “casual racing game” don’t normally go in the same sentence, but offering a more casual virtual racing experience is exactly what the team behind the popular sim racer plan to do.

In partnership with Original Fire Games–the developers behind the arcade-style racer Circuit Superstars–iRacing plans to develop a new racing game meant for a more casual racing market. …

Read the rest of the story

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta Reader
7/9/24 4:12 p.m.

At least the spectators look more realistic than they do in iRacing.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/24 4:49 p.m.

Circuit Superstars is a lot of fun and surprisingly deep for what it is. We need more "middle ground" racing games that are competitive without being too simple or too hardcore, so I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

Colin Wood
7/9/24 4:53 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Good point. A lot of racing games often sit at the opposite ends of the spectrum, and I'm all for using video games to bring more people into the hobby.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/24 4:59 p.m.

As much as I love racing in real life, sim racing doesn't do a whole lot for me. I did love some early Gran Tourismo's, but haven't touched anything since.

For video games, give me future-racing!

(and that is a market request to iRacing: give me a blisteringly fast and hard future-racer and I'm there.  Nintendo only drops a new F-Zero like once every 15 years.)

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/10/24 9:55 a.m.

I'm game for more "casual" type of games. It's a part of the gaming market that's sorely lacking.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/10/24 9:56 a.m.

i love the idea of a more arcade friendly game...  I have alot of friends that are interested in racing simulators find the experience not like forza / other arcade style racing games to be a bit of a turnoff (maybe steep learning curve is better)

Colin Wood
7/10/24 10:28 a.m.
BA5 said:

(and that is a market request to iRacing: give me a blisteringly fast and hard future-racer and I'm there.  Nintendo only drops a new F-Zero like once every 15 years.)

They do have ExoCross that's supposed to drop sometime this month. If the trailer is anything to go by, it might scratch at least part of that itch:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/24 2:20 p.m.

I hope they let users set up servers. Even better if they are local servers.  (Like AC). This way in a couple years when they get tired of it the game can live on.  That has been my biggest problem with most sims. 

Also no monthly subscription fee. Paying for additional content is fine. 

Someone needs to purchase the rights to project cars II. Take that sim and run with it.  That had so much potential.  

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
7/10/24 4:09 p.m.

Still waiting for one of the top tier racing sims to be supported on MacOS...  

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/24 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Msterbee :

Sadly I wouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon. The PlayStation and Xbox are now basically PCs (AMD x64 hardware and RDNA graphics that are basically SoC PC parts), which lets developers release on multiple popular platforms with minimal extra development. Meanwhile Apple Silicon is charting its own hardware path that requires a lot of bespoke development with very little return on investment since Mac is not a huge gaming platform. Better off to just buy a cheap gaming PC.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50MjmxNaf5I9DAmYGGFnWZ7avP2U7YP8KM1vAJ5nqUxvrKV8ShjwiD0pJHKRlwBV