1 2
AaronT
AaronT Reader
12/24/20 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

I keep looking for an excuse to get rid of my '12. It's boring, it's not terribly quiet on the interstate, it's boring, it doesn't tow.

But also, it' has a cavernous hatch for its size,  I have zero towing needs at the moment, it's paid for, cheap as E36 M3 to drive, cheap as E36 M3 to maintain. Those last 3 items mean it opens up budget for fun stuff. 

Pretty much every week I try to contrive a reason to replace it. This week it's that Land Cruiser in the sale section, but that vehicle would triple my operating cost and compromise longevity since it has 3x the miles as my space car. I ultimately come back around to the fact that I have a well sorted Miata and can go to the kart track for real driving fun™️. Nothing I could replace the Prius with is going to offer more fun than than either of those while aligning with my financial goals.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/25/20 11:39 a.m.

I only managed to get rid of mine by selling it to family members (it's been owned by both my mother and father in law now) for way less than it was worth AND replacing it with a way fancier and faster hybrid (Lexus GS450h, since gone). It was nearly impossible to justify getting rid of it or replacing it, and i consider the above circumstance the 'perfect storm'  that it took to do it, lol. 

I'm glad it's still owned by someone who lets me work on and keep track of it because I'm extremely curious where it all falls apart or if I'll finally realize something I missed. It seems like the best 'generic car' ever built, at least for the owner (technology advances will eventually fix the production/recycling issues in newer hybrids/evs). The one I owned was of the 04-09 generation and thinking about just how damn good this thing was in the 2004 world of cars still boggles my mind. I seriously put it on the same mental row of motoring history as the Model T, VW Beetle, Honda Super Cub etc..

So yeah, if you're a pragmatic sort and don't want to be damn near stuck for the rest of your life with a Prius that refuses to suck , maybe don't buy one!! Im 5 hybrids deep now and even though the Prius was by far the least specialized and therefore sort of the least interesting, it sank its claws into my dark heart of cheapassness and practicality and wouldn't let go. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
35Fdo5WDRNdNFOnnmNgn7RMxpZ9UVPNoUmHYORMlx3dNGZjYFCvzOpdVPhQlhnQs