1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 8:47 p.m.

I might be able to help with integration. I have this awesome set of tools. 

Toot
Toot New Reader
9/20/21 8:53 p.m.

I am in the process of ls swapping a cayman that had same problem.  I've found the hard way there are thousands of dollars to make it a reliable track car.  You could do it for cheap but it won't be with the outcome.  I underestimated by at least 5k.  After all said and done I will have 24k in it.  My opinion buy a new motor and no turbo.  VQ's don't like turbos for track days maybe auto cross but we don't do auto cross.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/20/21 9:16 p.m.

Find an aluminum block LS and save 100 lb.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 9:23 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I was looking at the weights today. 

VQs are hard to beat for hp/lb.  

9/20/21 9:24 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

And pay another [insert wallet-abusing number here]

9/20/21 9:27 p.m.

Swaps are expensive until you add all the swaptastic parts needed to do it, and you're already blessed with a lightweight, good potential engine.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/20/21 9:40 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

I can find aluminum blocks for $500 or less. If I were going to spring for a $10K+ swap I wouldn't think twice about a few more bucks for the lighter weight.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/21/21 9:00 a.m.

Having done a non-native LS swap I'll never do one again.  It costs FAR more than you'd ever expect to get it working the way you want, with AC, cruise, factory integration, etc.  Just drop in another VQ and call it a day.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 9:36 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I was looking at the weights today. 

VQs are hard to beat for hp/lb.  

And sound!

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/21/21 10:05 a.m.

I like the VQ so I'd stick with that. I also like driving more than wrenching so engine swaps don't really appeal to me.

I like the LS too, but I'd rather just buy a Corvette or Camaro and modify the chassis to make it do what I want than drop an LS in something that didn't come with it to begin with.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/21 10:20 a.m.

There are literally 14 G35's at my local Pull-A-Part on the lot right now. I'd just throw another VQ at it. You can always LS swap it later, and it doesn't sound like you want that kind of project and/or $spend right now. I don't even like VQ's, but that's what I would do. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 10:33 a.m.

You can do the VQ swap 7 times for the price of the LS. 

You want a solid street driver. VQ. 

Lsxus
Lsxus New Reader
9/21/21 1:14 p.m.

If they make a good swap kit for your chassis, which as others have stated, LOJ does. I'd go LS. That is what I did with my IS300 and its been a wonderful all-around vehicle. Obviously cost is going to be the downside, but the smiles per-gallon makes up for it everytime you start it up!

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
9/21/21 1:22 p.m.

I'd stay VQ since your realistic about the price. I half expected every post to be pushing for a 500 dollar ls swap because that's what people who have never done it claim it cost. If you were capable of enjoying the car before I see no reason to spend 10k and a few weeks swapping it.

Keith Tanner
9/21/21 2:01 p.m.

I don't regret the LS swaps on either of the cars I built with them, and in both cases I ended up with a car that has no "off the shelf" equivalent. Well worth the effort in my case. It's a little less clear cut in this case.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/21 2:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I might be able to help with integration. I have this awesome set of tools. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 5:39 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Pre 2005 Raniers have a "worthless" engine.  I can find them pulled and on a shelf for $600-800.  It's a Gen III 5.3 with aluminum block.  You will need an oil pan and pickup, IIRC the Camaro LS3 set is $125 brand new.

They have weaker rods and less flowtastic heads than the '05.  If you are serious enough that these become issues, you can still find L33s for $1500 or so.

i'd go with the Ranier engine as-is because it seems like these engines love to come apart at track days, not sure if the cam chain comes apart or the valves lose their heads, but have seen too many people swap for track use and then post up carnage pics after pistons try to change holes.  My favorite was the pics of the LS6 that deposited its oil rings on the passenger side lower control arm. 

Anyway, the engine is a consumable without a lot of internal engine work.

(this is a vote for slam another VQ in it with better cooling)

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
9/26/21 2:04 p.m.

The real question is one of wrenching versus driving.  LS or turbo means an f-ton of wrenching and "oh, need this too" moments, along with a very loose credit card.  No swap is straightforward, and no turbo system is simple.  Additionally, 400 horsepower isn't really that much for a car of the Infiniti's girth (on track, anyway) . . .

VQ replacement makes the most sense for the average motorhead and regular person.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/26/21 8:32 p.m.

But this is GRM...

Frenchy says V12 JAG swap!

Keith Tanner
9/27/21 9:46 a.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:

But this is GRM...

Frenchy says V12 JAG swap!

I think we just take that as a given.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/21 10:53 a.m.

I think the way forward is to replace the engine with another VQ so that will be happening soonish. 

And then engine swap this instead. 

208526024_4353252158029107_4391462438877502174_n.jpg

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BV05cIN8JXt1s6fAfbRSS4lbLvVxooFEsGE212SHlYCJv6PiUDH72OwOcmOO49il