J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/16/24 2:42 p.m.

Let’s face it. Not everybody is going to like you–or your beloved car. It’s a sad fact of life that some of us struggle to come to grips with. If you’re one of those people (and admittedly I am one of them), then I ask you this: Why should it matter?

This crossed my mind when I encountered two seemingly …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/16/24 2:51 p.m.

I really, really want to like the Cybertruck, but I just can't.

It's one of the main vehicles I point to when someone asks "Why can't the production car look like the concept?"

Other than that, I try to be as empathetic as I can towards people's tastes. (I find that learning a bit of context can help, too.)

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 3:05 p.m.

My sons and I passed a PT Cruiser a couple of days ago. It was a bright metallic green and probably had every chrome bit that AutoZone sells stuck to it. Chrome wheels. Audi badge on the grill. It was absolutely atrocious. 

But if the owner loves it, I love it for him. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/16/24 3:08 p.m.

Most garish cars have a body dysmorphia condition owner.... they just project into what they own vs themselves.

So, no. I'll just judge them in silence.

J.A. Ackley
10/16/24 4:05 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I really, really want to like the Cybertruck, but I just can't.

It's one of the main vehicles I point to when someone asks "Why can't the production car look like the concept?"

Other than that, I try to be as empathetic as I can towards people's tastes. (I find that learning a bit of context can help, too.)

I like bold style, but admittedly, form that doesn't follow function doesn't always work. It is a fun conversation piece, though, and apparently easy to wrap :-)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/16/24 4:21 p.m.

But my Rio does have sexy hips. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/16/24 5:50 p.m.

I love my little econobox Datsun so I get it. 

J.A. Ackley
10/16/24 6:43 p.m.
bobzilla said:

But my Rio does have sexy hips. 

And I heard hips don't lie, right?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/24 6:50 p.m.

I've decided that I'm OK with the Cybertruck because I appreciate variety. It took a ton of balls to make that vehicle, and hopefully it will prompt other to take styling chances as well.

As far as the "blindness", 100 percent on board. Thank goodness for differing tastes. Ever gone to a Cars and Coffee and seen a big lineup of car X? The first one is great, the second one a little less so, by car #4, they might as well be packing crates. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/24 7:23 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

As far as the "blindness", 100 percent on board. Thank goodness for differing tastes. Ever gone to a Cars and Coffee and seen a big lineup of car X? The first one is great, the second one a little less so, by car #4, they might as well be packing crates. 

Porsche and McLaren seem to be masters at slicing the model down into infinitely thin variations.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PxIZMEgtzVjasvdXvkDMbi7wWfRQOpshvdEkai4mEww4vXyhi9QHhuy5tezrKuVK