1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/12 9:27 p.m.

I saw the first commercial for the Scion FR-S, and they claim to have "the world's first and only horizontally opposed boxer engine". Then there is a long pause, and then they add "with D4S direct and port fuel injection technology". (A written disclaimer says not including the BRZ)

It makes it sound like they developed the first and only flat boxer engine, and oh by the way, it also has a marketing term and fuel injection. Shady, very shady.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
7/17/12 9:32 p.m.

Were you watching Tosh.0? I just saw the same commercial and thought the same damn thing.

pinchvalve
7/17/12 9:33 p.m.

Yep!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
7/17/12 9:43 p.m.

I played that thing back four times. It took me that long to realize that the two sides of that giant pause are the same sentence. I heard it was the world's first and only horizontally opposed boxer engine.", then I'd hit the rewind button and heard it a few more times, Finally after the 4th time through I was sure I had heard it correctly, and just figured Scion was completely mad or the commercial was some sort of satire. Following the long pause, I heard the second part and realized what they were trying to say.

Terrible and misleading. There will be idiots out there for years now claiming that their fersbers has the world's first and only boxer engine.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
7/17/12 9:45 p.m.

Scion definitely out advertises Subaru by a wide margin.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/17/12 10:00 p.m.

I don't think the FR-S is full of it.

I think the Ad Agency is.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
7/17/12 10:06 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I played that thing back four times. It took me that long to realize that the two sides of that giant pause are the same sentence. I heard it was the world's first and only horizontally opposed boxer engine.", then I'd hit the rewind button and heard it a few more times, Finally after the 4th time through I was sure I had heard it correctly, and just figured Scion was completely mad or the commercial was some sort of satire. Following the long pause, I heard the second part and realized what they were trying to say. Terrible and misleading. There will be idiots out there for years now claiming that their fersbers has the world's first and only boxer engine.

Well i was thinking that the fuzz-z sounds better, Just as the subaru is the BRO-z

B430
B430 Reader
7/18/12 12:17 a.m.

It just seems unbelievable that an advertisement might be misleading. I guess there's a first time for everything.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/18/12 12:22 a.m.

Wow, I can sense the sacasm from all the way over here.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
7/18/12 12:34 a.m.

Hey, Lexus invented steerable headlights a few year back.

Chevrolet invented the cannister oil filter for the Ecotec engine.

If we're not careful they will invent epicyclic transmissions next!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
7/18/12 1:08 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Hey, Lexus invented steerable headlights a few year back. Chevrolet invented the cannister oil filter for the Ecotec engine. If we're not careful they will invent epicyclic transmissions next!

Lexus wasn't even a glint in Toyota's eye when Citroen put steerable headlights on the SM.......

and about Toyota USA, Scion, and Lexus marketing... don't get me started

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
7/18/12 1:20 a.m.

Citroen < Duesenberg

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/12 1:21 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: Hey, Lexus invented steerable headlights a few year back. Chevrolet invented the cannister oil filter for the Ecotec engine. If we're not careful they will invent epicyclic transmissions next!
Lexus wasn't even a glint in Toyota's eye when Citroen put steerable headlights on the SM.......

I believe that was sarcasm...

The Tucker Torpedo came way before the SM, I don't know if there were any steerable headlights before that.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/12 1:22 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Citroen < Duesenberg

So there were. I knew about the Tucker, wasn't sure about any before that.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
7/18/12 1:34 a.m.

The steerable headlights, singles and duals were dealer options or aftermarket on higher end cars from the 30's.

Our customers 1935 Duesenberg SJ Torpedo Phaeton has duals, they have a linkage that connects to the steering drag link.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
7/18/12 4:47 a.m.

Is this like when Chrysler invented the minivan?

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
7/18/12 6:59 a.m.

I'm kind of puzzled as to why the ad agency would even trumpet a boxer engine....the target audience for this ad either doesn't know what a boxer engine is, or they know that Scion isn't the only car company to use this.

A better ad would tell you that Ferrari and the FR-S both have boxer engines, but I imagine Ferrari wouldn't let that ad air more than once or twice.

As for the "Chrysler inventing minivans" thing, I've never understood why they didn't say they invented the FWD minivan. They could even have had commercials pointing out the differences between their minivans and VWs.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/18/12 7:34 a.m.

I think its just so wrong when someone tries to take credit for something they didnt do...
pinchvalve
7/18/12 7:49 a.m.

VW invented the Microbus, Chrysler invented the Minivan. There's a HUGE difference. Beside, Dymaxion beat them both:

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/18/12 7:52 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: VW invented the Microbus, Chrysler invented the Minivan. There's a HUGE difference. Beside, Dymaxion beat them both:

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/12 8:12 a.m.

They all do E36 M3 like that.

And every car is the world is the best (full/mid/compact) size (sports/compact/sedan/SUV/pickup) in its class with (oddly specific standard option configuration) as rated by (butt of GRM jokes).

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/18/12 8:28 a.m.

Fersbers. Phrase coined, and stolen. Love it.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/18/12 8:58 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: VW invented the Microbus, Chrysler invented the Minivan. There's a HUGE difference. Beside, Dymaxion beat them both:

I think the "mini" part is missing from the Dymaxion.. That thing is 20' long!

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/18/12 9:39 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Fersbers. Phrase coined, and stolen. Love it.

Already been calling them Frisbees for many months (started on another forum)

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
7/18/12 9:46 a.m.

Just saw he add. The visuals are nice but I think they could have done a better job with the copy. Maybe I've been watching to much Mad Men.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XgW3lQWIo1clpTErMt5RdBARW7RomYtHut7xy1uUAcJcgbG6lG7j0cJoYCKfLqxO