1 2 3
Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/29/22 4:18 p.m.

So not particularly fast means many things to many people; for me it's something in between say a Spec Miata and an F1 car.

My F500 is not hugely fast but it never feels slow.

Should I get another sports racer I'm thinking a C-Sports racer in the form of a Sports 2000 with some mild to moderate motor mods to get it up around 175hp would really be fun.

The easy button is probably a Formula Mazda; 1300lbs & 180hp. Nothing like an Indy car or F1 car but fast enough. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/29/22 4:24 p.m.

Well, it's on the front page of the GRM website right now:

And a F355 challenge car:

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
8/29/22 9:50 p.m.

I drove this once at CMP and it was a laugh riot with probably 120hp on tap... never had to lift it was like driving a slot car compared to my 116hp Civic.  Light and "slow" can be a whole lot of fun. I would love to drive it with about 200hp on tap. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
8/30/22 10:25 a.m.

Nissan Micra Cup. They look like so much fun.

Reminds me of B-spec but smaller.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
8/30/22 12:16 p.m.

I really want an MGB vintage race car, and I want it tuned very mildly.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/30/22 4:37 p.m.
Cactus said:

I really want an MGB vintage race car, and I want it tuned very mildly.

That's really doable.  I seem to recall EP weight for an MGB is around 1900lbs and 90whp is possible for a mild MGB race motor...................it could be glorious fun.

Classic Motorsports did a street motor that I think  made around 75-80 at the wheels................one of those would likely go 10 seasons? (I have no clue as I'm not an MGB guy)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/30/22 4:54 p.m.

Hard to say... Any race car driven near the limits will probably feel fast to me.  I'm certain my stock MCS JCW is capable of scaring the crap out of me on a race track.  That said, I'd love to do some "spirited" laps in a few cars:

any pre-wing F1 car.  Maybe if I get to the point where I get comfortable with those, I'll work up to ground-effects cars that need a minimum speed to "work".

Vintage Trans Am from the 60's-early 70's.

I'd love to vintage race an old Triumph or Volvo 1800.  I've heard of those getting raced with bone-stock engines often.  Won't win, but the car will be reliable. 

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
8/30/22 6:04 p.m.

I'm thinkin' a GN JAP would be right up my alley...

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
8/30/22 6:48 p.m.

I am slightly offended to see that nobody has mentioned the super-obvious Porsche 935:

Porsche 935 Turbo K3 Kremer Racing (6794053122).jpg.

The stories.  Come on, these were the drug smugglers' racing vehicles of choice.  They are electric sex in person--pretty cool on the track, too.  If you are anywhere near Santa Cruz, CA in your life, go visit one at Canepa.

Needless to say, this would require some skills I lack . . .

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
8/30/22 7:47 p.m.

There is a Cadillac CTS that runs in Champcar. I think it's a V6 manual car and has got big fat tires under homemade flares. That looks like it would be a different kind of fun to hustle around a road course.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/30/22 9:38 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I've driven a 70s 930 and they are a bit brutish; the controls are kinda heavy and they are sort of point and squirt.

You'd likely turn faster lap times in a stock 911 GT3-RS but it wouldn't be near as exciting.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
8/31/22 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Exactly.  The crazies had these things turned up well over 1000 horsepower at their peak, reportedly 12-15 in some cases.  My limited experience with high-power turbo stuff tells me that this would be nearly impossible to drive without tons of very specific practice.  The rear slicks of course made 315s look like pizza cutters . . .

nuthunmuch
nuthunmuch New Reader
8/31/22 12:50 p.m.

The Renault Sport Spyder is an interesting car I'd like to try.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/31/22 12:59 p.m.

These cars could be fast ...  but on a figure 8, they don't go exceptionally fast. It seems like it would be a rush.

solfly
solfly Dork
8/31/22 1:02 p.m.

Realtime Integra

BRE 510

Mine

also been really intrigued by the Sundae Cup series, reminds me of the early 2000's STS/STSII days

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/31/22 1:40 p.m.

That Zink Formula V that Carl Heidemann and his son have been working on in the builds section sure looks like a hoot to drive.   Even that is probably too fast for my skill set though.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/31/22 4:07 p.m.
11GTCS said:

That Zink Formula V that Carl Heidemann and his son have been working on in the builds section sure looks like a hoot to drive.   Even that is probably too fast for my skill set though.

I'll relay this story: we were doing some testing at Spring Mtn Motorsports with the D-sports racer (Trans-Am lap time level car), and friend was there with his vintage Formula Vee. He invited me to do a few laps in it; having once had my own FV I said sure.

Coming up to the brake zone for turn 3 in the Vee I was probably going 40 mph slower than the DSR but still got on the brakes 50-75ft sooner; I almost didn't make the corner. I went sailing through the middle of the corner in a big 4 wheel drift, missing the apex by solid 2-3ft.  At that very moment that vintage FV was a fast as any race car could ever be. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/31/22 5:33 p.m.

A 90's era dirt Street Stock, back when a guy could build a car for $10K all in. Chevelle, Monte Carlo etc. with a cage kit, 355 SBC with flat tops, allowed cam, Performer intake, headers etc. Reasonable suspension mods. Made for some competitive racing.

Cubic dollars started flowing in with bought chassis and engines. Rules changed to aluminum body panels to full body aluminum. Front runners were now in $25K range, the rest back markers. 

Shoulda jumped in street stock back in the day but I found a DSR and went road racing, no regrets on that choice. 

Still have a fond spot in my heart for those old street stocks.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/31/22 7:41 p.m.

I just want to get out and drive the car I have. Might get out a second time before seasons end. 

#dadlife

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/31/22 10:04 p.m.
fasted58 said:

Shoulda jumped in street stock back in the day but I found a DSR and went road racing, no regrets on that choice.

I loved driving my DSR but grew to hate owning it. I could deal with the cost and I could deal with the maintenance but the two combined were a bridge to far for me.

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/1/22 12:48 a.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

I want to drive Spec Racer Ford at Hallett. But I don't want to do this!

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/1/22 4:44 a.m.

Formula Challenge - wings and slicks with a stockish Suzuki 1100 motor. Never really took off as a racing class but available for hire at a couple of NZ race tracks.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
78My69k8fLVJ5999BW2TNVxkBKPzi8Ipm6aEOg4TUJbN4T8cRtuEbpcp4BR37fCn