1 2
Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/3/15 12:06 p.m.
Mike wrote: I'm going to pile on and say Volt. Put the shifter in L, select Sport, and drive around for a bit. Particularly, try burying the accelerator from a stop. If you have sporting intentions, know that traction and stability defeat didn't arrive until 2012.

Yup, this pretty much sums it up, makes the Prius feel like a tortoise...

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
8/3/15 12:22 p.m.

coming from a grand prix I don't think either the volt or the prius will comfortably do two rear facing seats with a driver that is very tall at all.

Prius V has 30 inches, a Grand Prix (g6) has 31, a Prius 28 and a volt 27. Both of my rear facing car seats measure about 29-30 inches from the seat bottom to the back (from where the part that goes against the rear seat to the part above the kids head essentially the space needed)

It goes down to like 28-29 once they are rear facing but can sit much more upright but we had issues even at 19 months with that being so straight up and down the kiddos head was forced forward

As much as I love the volt idea if he has two rear facing car seats I don't think it will work.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
8/3/15 12:27 p.m.

How tall are you guys? Rear facing seat fits fine behind me in my SL2. I only have one, so I keep it on the passenger side, but the front seat position is the same. I can't go ALL the way back, but I'm only 6'0" so I don't need to. The Volt is longer with a 5" longer wheelbase. I would think it has more space.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/3/15 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Honestly I think the Volt, Prius, Cmax, Mazda3, and Impreza to all be the same size(impreza is the biggest in that bunch) Might want to double and triple check things.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
8/3/15 1:55 p.m.

Time to get another Mazda5?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/15 2:26 p.m.

I'm surprised no one has said Saab 9-3 hatch yet.

30+ highway MPG, Turbo, Manual, hatchback, etc.

or 9-5 if you want a bit bigger:

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/15 5:31 p.m.

Outback is now rated over 30 highway. Not too fast.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
8/3/15 6:05 p.m.

That 9-5 is Sexy. Prodarwin that's so crazy. I am 6ft also not like a giant or anything but our Matrix had issues with putting a rear facing behind me, and was definitely no go in my jetta mk4

Desy
Desy New Reader
8/4/15 1:45 a.m.

Greddy makes a supercharger kit I believe for the Prius/CT200H.

I actually prefer the CT200H style wise. Lowered with a tasteful set of wheels, and a tasteful lip kit, plus insane gas mileage. Win win for Daily Driving.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
8/4/15 9:01 a.m.

We've had a CT200h for the past 6 months or so and have gotten a pretty consistent 42 mpg city or highway. You'll want to make sure the rear has enough room for the car seats (we don't have any so couldn't tell you), but it is a bit cramped. We fold the seats down and our 70 lb Lab is pretty comfortable back there (albeit a little lacking in headroom with the higher floor b/c batteries) and people are amazed when we pull up to Lowes/HD and I fit bulky furniture boxes in the back It has been a good car for us, and putting it in "Sport" does spice it up a bit with the CVT.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
8/4/15 10:23 a.m.

I like my CT200h. I don't find it to be too slow. It is slow when at highway speed and trying to accelerate, so most 2-lane passing would require a lot of space. I rarely do that. Everyday merging and acceleration from lights, etc. is fine. The first little bit is pretty quick actually. It has enough power to make the tires chirp. I can take on-ramps with enough speed that merging is no issue at all. I can carry more speed than most SUVs or cute-utes so find myself riding their bumpers down the ramps.

The hatch area is pretty small though and I also can't say how well car seats would fit. My whole family is pretty short so we have plenty of room. Even my dog is short so he fits in that hatch just right.

Last weekend I drove to Niagara Falls with 4 people, a/c on 115kph and scored a 4.3l/100km, that's 53mpg(US). Lifetime the car is getting 5.5l/100km (41mpg) on mostly very short in town trips in traffic. In 25k kms there have been zero issues or repairs.

I would also say to have a look at the Volt. It only seats 4, but my coworker is averaging 3.3l/100km lifetime plus electricity cost. It cost him about $12k less than my car after subsidies. He has no complaints about the power.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
8/4/15 10:36 a.m.

The only high mpg car that drives like it's faster than it really is (torque seat of the pants feel) is likely a turbo diesel.

Too bad you scratched TDI off the list, as it seems to be basically what you're asking for.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/4/15 9:13 p.m.

I wish CT200h's were priced reasonably. There is no way i pay 150-200% the price of a used Volt for an older car that's only half as cool (at MOST!) in the powertrain department. I would buy an F-Sport for 15k. I LOVE the f-sport interior.

I'm saying Volt on this one. If you smack the gas quickly enough it will briefly push you back in your seat.

Although, i think the C-Max has PLENTY of torque and mpg advantage over a Mazda 5. Have you driven a C-Max? Other than the Volt it's the torquiest feeling small hybrid i can think of (and i've driven both).

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/15 9:37 p.m.

How about a BMW i3? They're available with a range extender, it looks like a roomier back seat, it's rear drive. According to the salesman who rode along on my test drive, it's the fastest 0-30 in the BMW lineup. The range extender model is slower, but may still be suitable.

Range extender models do have a laughably small gas tank.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
8/4/15 10:31 p.m.
Mike wrote: How about a BMW i3? They're available with a range extender, it looks like a roomier back seat, it's rear drive. According to the salesman who rode along on my test drive, it's the fastest 0-30 in the BMW lineup. The range extender model is slower, but may still be suitable. Range extender models do have a laughably small gas tank.

If you can stomach the looks I guess it is okay, but you'd have to get over the styling. The i3 has to be the UGLIEST new car made. The Pontiac Aztec looks like a gorgeous and sexy supermodel compared to it (and while not a hideous vehicle, the Aztec is funky and not 'pretty'); i3 is like a Honda Element and Nissan Cube had offspring...and it turned out way worse than expected.

Oh, and if Mazda had the option I would say the Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.5L motor...that motor is pretty decent in my brother's 2016 Mazda 6, should be more than decent in the Mazda 3. Shame you have to get leather and all the other technical crap to get the 2.5L motor though...

Mazda 6 you get the motor with cloth seats standard, 4 door only - but it boogies just as quick as my FR-S and the trunk is HUGE (can fit 3 of my 6'2" self in there...if I were 3 persons...LOL)

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/4/15 11:29 p.m.

I had a Mazda 3 that I replaced with a Volt a couple of months ago. As mentioned, in Sport and Low, it accelerates nicely and the extra regen is like good engine braking.

The hatch area is big, possibly bigger than my old 3. The opening is huge.

Rear facing seats fit nicely, better than in my old 3, at least from a front passenger leg room perspective. The rear door openings are a little tight.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
8/4/15 11:53 p.m.

one or two rear facing seats BAMF, two rear facing pretty much guarantees one has to be behind driver as well, I don't think wrestling a kid into a central one is possible with one in the side seat (plus LATCH anchors are only supposed to be used for a single seat and most cars dont have 6)

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/6/15 10:50 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: one or two rear facing seats BAMF, two rear facing pretty much guarantees one has to be behind driver as well, I don't think wrestling a kid into a central one is possible with one in the side seat (plus LATCH anchors are only supposed to be used for a single seat and most cars dont have 6)

I've only got one child, so just one seat. The Volt only has 2 rear seats, but it does have the LATCH anchors at both.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/7/15 6:26 a.m.

my Chevy Sonic Hatch gets me low 40's if I'm careful

probably mid 30's if I drive like I would have as a kid

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/7/15 4:11 p.m.

I think the easiest solution here is another Mazda 5. You know what they are capable of so you have the upper hand in a way. I'm sure one with a slushbox wouldn't be that bad.

Would a Focus wagon be too small?: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Wagon/Ford/Focus/Vancouver+WA-98660?endYear=2016&makeCode1=FORD&maxPrice=15000&mmt=%5BFORD%5BFOCUS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=FOCUS&searchRadius=25&showcaseListingId=398435733&showcaseOwnerId=573024&startYear=1981&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON&Log=0

Here is a unicorn stick shift one : http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98660&endYear=2016&vehicleStyleCodes=WAGON&modelCode1=FOCUS&showcaseOwnerId=573024&startYear=1981&makeCode1=FORD&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=15000&showcaseListingId=398435733&mmt=%5BFORD%5BFOCUS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=402581442&Log=0

If you have to go with an suv, have you considered a Rav4 or a Highlander Hybrid? Also, what about an Outback or a Forester? All of them seem to be proven people movers.

Highlander Hybrid:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98660&endYear=2016&vehicleStyleCodes=HYBEL&modelCode1=HIGHLANDER&showcaseOwnerId=4745993&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TOYOTA&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=17000&showcaseListingId=405292494&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5BHIGHLANDER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=407066029&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98660&endYear=2016&vehicleStyleCodes=HYBEL&modelCode1=HIGHLANDER&showcaseOwnerId=4745993&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TOYOTA&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=17000&showcaseListingId=405292494&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5BHIGHLANDER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=406205085&Log=0

I'd highly recommend a CX-5 as well.

Also, I know you don't want anything to do with a TDI but what about a regular gasser Jetta Wagon?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4cExWKoMCaOzafzhW53XZBa3x1lKLhSSjnTlTYf3rNCa3CEj0SXVXukQdnbU0iQm