1 2 3
Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
9/30/23 9:43 p.m.

So I was sitting here contemplating/daydreaming of future project cars as any (in)sane person does, and I found myself always going back to one platform; the Miata. I have two of them, a NA and NB, and everytime I think of something I want to do with a car, I come back to the Miata everytime. Now, I do like other cars as well of course, being a car enthusiast, but I would have to say my favorite car/platform/model would have to be the Miata based on my own experiences and thoughts.

That led me to think, is there a certain car/platform/model that you guys find yourself preferring the most? I know we all love anything with wheels, but I'd think that we have at least one that we like more over the others. Just thought it would be fun to see what others think.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/23 10:11 p.m.

K cars and their derivatives. This includes 1st gen Caravans, Omnis, and if you squint hard enough,  Neons. Its irrational. There isn't a single German car I'd like to own over a GLHS, aside from the money I could get by selling said German car. Probably to fund the purchase of the GLHS.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
9/30/23 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I would have to say I like the Mk1 GTI the best, which is remarkably similar for being the opposite of what you just said.

Regardless, small hatchbacks that handle well and are quick enough to be fun, dor the win.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/30/23 11:18 p.m.

Minitrucks.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/23 11:19 p.m.

I started reading GRM and the GRM forum. That led directly to me buying my first Miata, joining the SCCA, buying a helmet, and going to my first autocross.

It's Miatas for me. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/23 11:20 p.m.

I guess that would be E30 BMWs for me. I've been driving them since they were new. Owned many over the years: 318is, 325is, iX, and M3 models. Currently have two E30 M3s: street and race. 

I feel really at home with the platform. Perfect size and ergonomics for me. And I enjoy the driving dynamics. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/1/23 12:10 a.m.

Double wishbone Hondas.  88-00, they all just work.  Great handling, engines bolt in from 70hp to over 200, so much aftermarket, so many body style choices.  

chandler
chandler MegaDork
10/1/23 7:23 a.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I would have to say I like the Mk1 GTI the best, which is remarkably similar for being the opposite of what you just said.

same

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
10/1/23 8:09 a.m.

Second the E30, also MX5, but having a back seat is nice. Will have another mx5 one day.

I loved my neons, but parts availability has ended that. 

Generally: naturally aspirated i6 manual Bmw is a go to for me for a good blend of affordable, fun, reasonably comfortable, mechanically stout. Not without its problems, but the problems are generally, well documented and diy'able.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/23 9:09 a.m.

I like mid-engined cars. Pretty much all of them.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
10/1/23 9:19 a.m.

I'm on my 10th miata, so I guess the answer is obvious

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/23 9:20 a.m.

I'd say rx7s and rx8s.  However, I don't currently have any rotary powered ones.

I have owned 11 rotary powered cars.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/23 9:58 a.m.

GMT400 trucks. 800s are fine too. 

As far as cars go, I've never doubled up on owning anything besides Audi 5 cylinders (C3/C4 chassis 20vt) so I guess that's my answer lol 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/1/23 10:22 a.m.

I don't think so? I had a z31 in high school, a Z33 after college, NA track rat, two NCs, 3 E30s, a first gen and now 2nd gen BRZ, a 135, '13 Mustang GT.

I'm not really brand loyal, if a manufacturer builds something cool that I want and can afford, I buy it.

Maybe if we look back over the last 90 years or so... the 1932 Ford may be the most modified car.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
10/1/23 10:44 a.m.

99-07 Superdutys.

• King of the heap when they came out - by a wide margin.
  • Timeless looks
  • Straight axle front end with none of the Dodge BS
  • Still modern enough to do anything you need while being simple enough where anyone can work on them.
  • Od enough to have no or simple emissions controls.
Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/1/23 11:00 a.m.

My dad bought a new SAAB 900 in 83 and they have had their claws in my ever since.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
10/1/23 11:38 a.m.

Old Saabs/Volvos ( see screen name). And another vote for dwb Hondas--they're what generated the auto enthusiast in me. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/1/23 12:05 p.m.

GMT 400s for me.

I started working as a mechanic in 1991 and there were a whole lot of squarebody trucks out there with emissions laden 305s. They leaked. They clattered. They got poor fuel economy. They just generally sucked to live with and to work on.

Then GM came out with EFI in 1987 and the new body style in 1988. That was it for me. Lift the hood and there were like four vacuum hoses in the entire engine bay. Super easy to work on. It's when GM finally started to get their poop in a group. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/1/23 12:13 p.m.

Mk2 Golfs and Miatas, although the car I've kept the longest is my R53 MINI Cooper (17 years). I started out back when you could still get small, manual, RWD cars. First car was a 510, so I tend to daydream about RWD conversions, utilizing Miata running gear. 70s rally cars turn my crank.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/23 12:16 p.m.
Sonic said:

Double wishbone Hondas.  88-00, they all just work.  Great handling, engines bolt in from 70hp to over 200, so much aftermarket, so many body style choices.  

Same.

They' also still cheap enough for challenge purposes and the Honda kids are still pretty cool to hang out with.

It's called the golden age for a reason.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
10/1/23 12:19 p.m.

LT1 4th Gen Fbodies, Corvettes and GMT400s.

Lots of other stuff I like, but Ive never not had atleast one of them in the stable. Got a little older life is a little more stable and weve got 2 of the 3 and wife regularly brings up that she wants another corvette, so maybe itll be 3 of 3.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/1/23 1:04 p.m.

As I am an old British car fan, the Miata also has some attraction for me. but for some reason the modern sports cars I gravitated toward were both GM products - the V6 Fiero (1988 only, the year they finally got the suspension right - I owned one for 19 years) and the Solstice GXP, which, barring some stupid economies on GMs part that left the car with minor handling deficiencies that are fortunately easily rectified for not much money and they have an engine that can be made to produce 400-500 bhp quite easily, if that is your thing (I stopped at a modest 375 bhp on mine)

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/23 7:09 p.m.

Toyota Corolla AE86 for me. I bought my first in 1996 or 1997, owned three of them for a while (twincam coupe daily/rallycross/TSD/gravel explorer, twincam hatchback track/autocross/canyons, and twincam stage rally car project) and was into them through 2020. 

There's just something so fun about driving them, with 2100-2400 pounds, very responsive balanced chassis, RWD, and a screaming 7500rpm engine that loves to be kept on the boil. Good aftermarket and huge tuning potential. Nearly as small and light as most two-seaters, but with the utility of a metal roof, 2+2 seating, and a big hatch to swallow cargo. Easy to wrap your head around and drive briskly, but with enough headroom to grow with your abilities and keep experienced drivers entertained and challenged. There's a reason they've become collectible! wink

That said, I now love my Toyobaru because it has some of the same charms with a lot more refinement and safety.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/1/23 9:21 p.m.

Datsun A-series powered cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lvPFT7Gr8aTm3ARf97nap1wWdOBvrJguH2aukotVAyGYfusI5JgcSnC2zB4u344J