1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/23/22 8:00 a.m.
feature_image

“What if we go bigger?”

Sure, why not? Lots of amazing ideas start out that way–including this one.

Jay Bullington is the owner of this particularly aggressive Audi S4, which normally competes in the SCCA’s Street Modified autocross class.

Having earned a berth in UMI’s King of the Mountain autocross competition, which puts more than $25,000 of prize money on the line in …

Read the rest of the story

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 8:26 a.m.

I would think making the last couple elements of the front wing out of Lexan would be worthwhile...

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/23/22 8:45 a.m.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/23/22 8:45 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/22 9:13 a.m.

I was wondering, since there's no way you can see cones past that thing, is the intent to yeet them into the stratosphere before the shaggers even notice you hit one?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
8/23/22 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

"hey wasn't there a slalom here?"

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 10:04 a.m.

That's awesome, and I hope it does well.

I've long thought that for autox, there is no such thing as too much wing!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/23/22 10:12 a.m.

It's a training aid designed to force you to keep your eyes up. You should already know where the cone is by the time the car gets there, and this car makes sure you either learn that skill or take out every cone on the course.

busmech
busmech GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/23/22 10:40 a.m.

Lets see a bigger radiator fan taking air from under the car. "but I need a 100hp engine to cool my car". Also needs the lighted rods on the front corners like a big rig has

GameboyRMH
8/23/22 10:42 a.m.
busmech said:

Lets see a bigger radiator fan taking air from under the car. "but I need a 100hp engine to cool my car". Also needs the lighted rods on the front corners like a big rig has

I've been thinking, when you put this much power into driving wings through the atmosphere, and that power has to go through the ground, how much forward traction could you gain by putting the same amount of power into running a sucker fan instead?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 10:48 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Which is more efficient, an airplane or a helicopter?

But it is an excellent question. 

GameboyRMH
8/23/22 10:51 a.m.

^Good point. Putting the same amount of power into the sucker fan wouldn't result in as much downforce. It would also be interesting to produce the same amount of downforce with a sucker fan (however much power that takes) and compare forward traction, acceleration and top speed.

Mugenlude
Mugenlude
8/23/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I can confirm from driving the car, there is no issue seeing over the front wing or driving through slaloms.... the things that people seem to doubt most (we had doubts too)  =)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/22 12:42 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Which is more efficient, an airplane or a helicopter?

But it is an excellent question. 

An airplane is more efficient but wings require airspeed to create lift.  Your delta P on a wing is limited by the wings velocity.  

Helicopters turn HP into noise and as a consequence generate lift.   A sucker car can make theoretically up to ~14psi of delta P on the floorpan at 0 speed assuming enough HP is thrown at it.  

If you have limited HP or weight there are potentially cross over points where the HP required to drive a sucker mechanism or the weight penalty of said sucker mechanism would be detrimental, but if everything was unlimited big active wings combined with a sucker floor would be the ultimate. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/22 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Mugenlude :

Have you ran any back to back wings on/wings off testing?  I understand that you probably can't do it before the big event but it would be interesting after.  

When we were testing out FSAE car the wings where worth 2-4% on a cornering intensive course, however there was substantial driving technique change required to extract that.  Shortest distance gave way to highest possible cornering velocity on all but the tightest corners.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/23/22 1:04 p.m.

Jupiter Gravity!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/22 1:29 p.m.
Mugenlude said:

In reply to Duke :

I can confirm from driving the car, there is no issue seeing over the front wing or driving through slaloms.... the things that people seem to doubt most (we had doubts too)  =)

Cool!

Mugenlude
Mugenlude New Reader
8/23/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

We tested with the new front aero and normal SM rear wing setup (2-element Ciro) - it resulted in me spinning the car for the first time ever turning in the first brake zone.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 2:14 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
busmech said:

I've been thinking, when you put this much power into driving wings through the atmosphere, and that power has to go through the ground, how much forward traction could you gain by putting the same amount of power into running a sucker fan instead?

The cooling is all on the rear with a huge fan. It's blown over the rear spoiler!

engineered
engineered New Reader
8/23/22 2:29 p.m.

Impressive setup.  Was CFD analysis done to design this? 

Front wing looks extremely steep, does it not stall?  And looks like it might feed tons of dirty air to the rear wing.  If the car if front limited then this might be OK.

Certainly tons of drag with this setup, so I assume they have gobs of power. (can't see the full article yet)

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/23/22 4:26 p.m.

This is the ideal racecar body. You may not like it, but this is what peak autocross looks like.

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
8/23/22 4:33 p.m.
BenB said:

This.

hilary_anderson_racing
hilary_anderson_racing
8/23/22 7:39 p.m.
Javelin said:
GameboyRMH said:
busmech said:

The cooling is all on the rear with a huge fan. It's blown over the rear spoiler!

The rear cooling is just the heat exchanger for the air to water cooler for the turbos.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/22 8:00 p.m.

I see I'm not the only person that has questions about heat control. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/23/22 9:14 p.m.

R    U    effen     kidding  ME  what are y'all on CRACK????  enough already 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T6PBhDLvbRfWxSVDOLZlOHTc2zyVGyxf7V6moeu26WfKtOg4yUGXQWgaqip7vBLy