1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/22 10:11 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I see I'm not the only person that has questions about heat control. 

Javelin
8/23/22 10:13 p.m.
759NRNG said:

R    U    effen     kidding  ME  what are y'all on CRACK????  enough already 

It's a purpose built autocross only car competing at the no-rules UMI King of the Mountain this weekend, where it has a legitimate shot at winning. It's an A-Mod with a body conceptually, and nobody laughs at them.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/23/22 10:40 p.m.
Javelin said:
It's an A-Mod with a body conceptually, and nobody laughs at them.

I mean, I'm laughing, but I think that's more of a fear response.

Someone on Facebook tried to be king of the snarkmsters and posted something like "All this just to chase cones?"

And my response to that is "YES. OF COURSE. WHY ELSE WOULD YOU DO IT. ALL OF THIS STUFF WE DO IS MADE UP ANYWAY SO WHY NOT DO THE MOST AMAZING AND EXTREME VERSION OF EVERYTHING." God some people wouldn't know a party if they had a lampshade on their heads. Maybe try appreciating the willingness of smart and creative people to do cool stuff like this and you might actually experience joy for once in your life.

nealt
nealt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/24/22 12:24 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I'd do something this crazy for the fun of it. But in this case, there's not just a bowling trophy or an embroidered jacket on the line...there's twenty-five-effen-k to be won!

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/24/22 7:30 a.m.

I can't wait to see some video of it on track. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/24/22 10:22 a.m.

Still has better visibility lines than an S550 Mustang...

stonebreaker
stonebreaker New Reader
8/24/22 11:31 a.m.

That's so cool!! Plus, you can earn extra money in the winter snowplowing!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/22 11:31 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Javelin said:
It's an A-Mod with a body conceptually, and nobody laughs at them.

I mean, I'm laughing, but I think that's more of a fear response.

Someone on Facebook tried to be king of the snarkmsters and posted something like "All this just to chase cones?"

And my response to that is "YES. OF COURSE. WHY ELSE WOULD YOU DO IT. ALL OF THIS STUFF WE DO IS MADE UP ANYWAY SO WHY NOT DO THE MOST AMAZING AND EXTREME VERSION OF EVERYTHING." God some people wouldn't know a party if they had a lampshade on their heads. Maybe try appreciating the willingness of smart and creative people to do cool stuff like this and you might actually experience joy for once in your life.

Can you engrave this with a head shot (and maybe a dragon or a wolf and moon) on the challenge trophies this year?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/22 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I think this is probably the forum's first copypasta. It's brilliant. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/22 1:39 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I think this is probably the forum's first copypasta. It's brilliant. 

Yes, I've met that guy, and he's actually a really good writer. 

ojannen
ojannen GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/22 2:20 p.m.

It is sitting in 9th after the first heat in the fastest class.

The top 10 has 2 teslas, 4 evos, 2 corvettes, a viper, and this S4.  The top 3 are way ahead with 4-10 separated by about 4 tenths.  There are lots of awd cars there.  I wonder if it is course based or weather based or the good drivers in good awd cars having a good morning.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
8/27/22 11:34 a.m.

I wonder what happened that the car is not even in the trophies? I'm guessing there are set up issues because throwing giant wings on a car tends to change spring rates and such.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/27/22 2:24 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I wonder what happened that the car is not even in the trophies? I'm guessing there are set up issues because throwing giant wings on a car tends to change spring rates and such.

This afternoon's runs have been better for Jason in particular, but early on they were having real trouble with porpoising coming out of slower corners. To the point they were having to back out of the throttle to control the osciallations. I know they added a lot of spring to deal with the wings, and it may not be agreeing with UMIs bumps.

Javelin
8/27/22 9:32 p.m.
loosecannon said:

They made the challenge for the 25k tonight and solved the porpoising with softer springs. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/22 11:29 p.m.

they made it through the first round of 6, right?  But missed out in the move from 24 to 8?  I know times crept down as the night wore on... but I'm not sure they had the pace for it?

in a completely unrelated note... anyone remember where the ChEaparral's C4 happens to be?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/22 8:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
busmech said:

Lets see a bigger radiator fan taking air from under the car. "but I need a 100hp engine to cool my car". Also needs the lighted rods on the front corners like a big rig has

I've been thinking, when you put this much power into driving wings through the atmosphere, and that power has to go through the ground, how much forward traction could you gain by putting the same amount of power into running a sucker fan instead?

About 10% of the downforce from a Top Fuel dragster is from the headers.

They used to point the headers at the rear tires to blow them clean, in the days when they spun the tires down the track and had no aero to speak of.  Someone tried pointing them up and instantly had a lot more traction.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/22 8:16 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Corvette museum, IIRC.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/22 11:47 a.m.

I've been thinking about it since posting last night... and I reckon the 'surface undulations' that were upsetting the JXB car, probably means that a suction system is probably of limited advantageous use at UMI

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YL1pfatGuvoy4totlnfdlVi73I0HVaZAq7eQBrwQ1Ubhm8uP4zK6SYMxsZ0JU6za