ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/25/09 5:37 p.m.

http://kusahiroexploration.blog107.fc2.com/

These guys go around japan photographing derelict cars like a "ran when parked" vibe...

(shameless stolen from Hemmings.com which stole it from japanese nostalic car)

Opus
Opus Dork
7/25/09 6:11 p.m.

Old Datsun truck

Subie 360 van

Subie 360 car

This is depressing, I will stop there

fourpawz
fourpawz New Reader
7/25/09 7:10 p.m.

I have a 98 mitts 3000gt thats had severe rt ft damage and both air bags were deployed , Is there a Re-set switch that enables the car to be re-started ???

dennisg
dennisg
7/25/09 8:08 p.m.

Used cars in Japan are really cheap when they get 4 years old. It is a cultural thing, they loose face if the car is old. Also a very expensive reconstruction of the car is done at the 4 year time. Free cars ? certainly but you have to deal with the shipping charges, I mailed half a dozen motors and 4 motorcycles here.

dennis

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/25/09 10:08 p.m.
dennisg wrote: Used cars in Japan are really cheap when they get 4 years old. It is a cultural thing, they loose face if the car is old. Also a very expensive reconstruction of the car is done at the 4 year time. Free cars ? certainly but you have to deal with the shipping charges, I mailed half a dozen motors and 4 motorcycles here. dennis

I always heard that it was a hike in registration costs for older cars that did that.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
7/25/09 10:35 p.m.

The massive increase in registration cost kick in at 10 years. The closer you get to the ten year mark the faster cars depreciate.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
7/25/09 11:03 p.m.

I think it's a combination of the two. From my experience buying a car there in the military, the car's value was directly related to the amount of time left on its JCI inspection. (IIRC, JCI meant Japanese Compulsory Inspection, but that's probably just an enlishification)

It seemed to me that the hassle and expense of renewal drove used prices down like a stone. "Special" cars owned by enthusiasts seemed to fare pretty well, probably because of the obsessive maintenance that the Japanese guys seemed to display.

A lot of the Marines who had just been stationed "got a deal" on really nice late model cars whose JCI had expired, only to have to spend as much or more on repairs in order to pass inspection. My first time there, I went in on a complete POS with a few buddies that had 16 months left on it's inspection. It would have failed any inspection miserably; no exhaust, blown shocks, rusted, and broken windows that made a mosquito pool after a Monsoon. It ran strong, however, so we just beat the hell out of it. When we left after 6 months, we sold it for only a little less than we bought it for to another batch of jarheads who only needed it for 6 months.

Good times. ...live from the UTCC.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
7/26/09 8:52 a.m.

OO OO I have one!

Maybe I'll take a current picture, its surrounded by weeds.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/09 8:57 a.m.
Type Q wrote: The massive increase in registration cost kick in at 10 years. The closer you get to the ten year mark the faster cars depreciate.

so how much will an R32 GTR cost me in 7-8 years when i go over looking to buy and import one?

ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
7/26/09 9:49 a.m.

I took these last week in Calgary. Rarely seen old Japanese cars.

a few more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/tags/heninger/

2002acr
2002acr New Reader
7/26/09 10:30 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
dennisg wrote: Used cars in Japan are really cheap when they get 4 years old. It is a cultural thing, they loose face if the car is old. Also a very expensive reconstruction of the car is done at the 4 year time. Free cars ? certainly but you have to deal with the shipping charges, I mailed half a dozen motors and 4 motorcycles here. dennis
I always heard that it was a hike in registration costs for older cars that did that.

Epensive reconstruction might have to do with an engine with low miles and stop and go driving that might not meet emissions standards. I am not sure of that. Whatever it is allows for the JDM engines to be shipped here at relatively reasonable prices.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dgJVg80bhKgP9gH44c3snd2c3M9suU9wwyPhOuZZCjZkL09EUZHu7PubDh4qQPZg