1 2 3
iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
2/23/12 9:18 a.m.

New or late model Maxima, since she likes it so much.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/23/12 9:22 a.m.

that has crossed my mind. wouldn't mind 30% better fuel efficiency though.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
2/23/12 9:41 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: right now the biggest mark against the Juke is how much everyone else doesn't like how they look. we both like it.

Good news: you can berkeley the haterz. Bad news: resale on an ugly car can berkeley you right back.

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/12 9:58 a.m.

DO it. ;)

I have been in a Juke at work. The interior is really nice for it's price segment. I was actually impressed. And who says a funky car is bad for an interior designer? My wife, a graphic designer, also likes the Juke. And the Veloster. And the FR-S. And.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/12 12:23 p.m.

the veloster is a better looking car than the Juke.. and the way Hyundai is topping the reliability charts recently, probably a better value and more reliable

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/23/12 12:29 p.m.

Wait 'til the Turbo Veloster comes out so you can have some actual Velo to go with your Ster.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/23/12 3:33 p.m.

that veloster has some potential. ten years ago i bought her a brand new Saturn SC-2. it got totaled relatively early in our ownership, but she liked the idea of a 3dr coupe at the time.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
2/23/12 4:35 p.m.

For what it's worth, I didn't want to like the Juke . . . until I saw it in person.

The thing is so weird and unconventional it totally turned me around. I like to see a little design innovation every now and then, so sue me. (disclaimer: I'm a graphic designer too). I think the overall proportions and smallish-for-a-modern-cuv size helped too.

I'm not surprised a lot of people don't like it, but I do find it interesting that as much as you hear people complain that all new cars look the same, use the same styling conventions, etc. - you'll hear just as much pissing and moaning as soon as something debuts that defy those same criteria.

Whatever, I realize it's a really strange styling exercise either way.

Back OT - I vote CX-5. It'll be everything you guys want, plus it'll probably appeal to 99% of her clients. Because she's in a design industry focused on people's living spaces, I'd personally be wary of rolling the dice on the Juke. Some people just seem to have knee-jerk reactions to it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/12 5:29 p.m.
Matt B wrote: I'm not surprised a lot of people don't like it, but I do find it interesting that as much as you hear people complain that all new cars look the same, use the same styling conventions, etc. - you'll hear just as much pissing and moaning as soon as something debuts that defy those same criteria. Whatever, I realize it's a really strange styling exercise either way.

There is Saab Strange and there is WTF?

Matt B
Matt B Dork
2/24/12 8:18 a.m.

hehe - fair enough. I would only counter that Saab's don't look all that strange to me these days, old or new.

Anyway, arguing something entirely subjective on the internet = wrestling with an octopus, or something like that.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
2/24/12 8:38 a.m.

Honestly, why not an Altima, Maxima, Accord, or Camry?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/12 8:56 a.m.

I think the Juke actually looks cool.

I just didn't recommend it because there's a lot of rumblings about quality issues with it.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
6/1/12 11:39 p.m.

UPDATE: None of the nissan dealers around here stock FWD Jukes. I'm not paying over 1000 dollars for a feature I dont want (all-wheel drive), and getting worse fuel efficiency to boot. Additionally, the cargo space behind the rear seat is kinda sad. Still haven't driven one.

Subaru is way too boring in person. I almost fell asleep just cruising through the lot.

I drove a skyactiv 3 wagon today. It's really slow. I dunno man, I know that fuel economy has to come from somewhere, but daaaamn. In light of this, I didn't even look at the CX-5, which is the same engine with more car. Overall I liked the 3i otherwise. As funny as it sounds, I liked some of the features it didn't have. For example that deal that some cars have where you turn the key and they just crank till they start all by themselves. I don't like that, and the mazda doesn't do it. I also don't like auto climate. They break, they're expensive and complicated, and I'm unconvinced they're that much better. The mazda doesn't offer it. RIght now I'm negotiating with a few dealers, if they can find one in the combo I like, I'll probably pull the trigger.

B430
B430 New Reader
6/2/12 12:10 p.m.

You should take a look at the Korean cars, your wife might change her mind. They have come a long way in a short time.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/12 1:20 p.m.

If a designer of any sort pulled into my driveway with a juke I'd question their overall taste.

I'd go with the Focus 5 door. Very stylish, domestic and full of nice technology. That or the Mazda.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
6/2/12 5:26 p.m.
Matt B wrote: For what it's worth, I didn't want to like the Juke . . . until I saw it in person. The thing is so weird and unconventional it totally turned me around. I like to see a little design innovation every now and then, so sue me. (disclaimer: I'm a graphic designer too). I think the overall proportions and smallish-for-a-modern-cuv size helped too. I'm not surprised a lot of people don't like it, but I do find it interesting that as much as you hear people complain that all new cars look the same, use the same styling conventions, etc. - you'll hear just as much pissing and moaning as soon as something debuts that defy those same criteria. Whatever, I realize it's a really strange styling exercise either way.

I agree. I am in the market for a new DD with some room and I am considering a Cube, Juke, Soul and Veloster.......in other words all the cars that everyone else think are ugly. I don't want another generic blob. The biggest problem with any of these is finding them with a manual and not to be completely maxed out with every ridiculous and worthless option the dealers can load on them.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
6/2/12 5:55 p.m.

I'd second the CX-5

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
6/2/12 9:13 p.m.
you can only get the CX-5 with AWD with the auto. Why do automakers keep doing this?

Because they know what people do when they can pick their own 'launch rpm', and they have to pay for warranty claims..

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/2/12 9:46 p.m.

If I was hiring an interior designer, and she showed up in a vehicle as cosmetically hideous as a Juke, I would find a new interior designer.

I second the suggestion above about the Korean cars. My parents have a Sonata (4cyl, non-turbo) and it has been great for the last year since new, no problems. I drove it and it's surprisingly fun to drive for a midsize 4-banger. Suspension is good, not much body lean at all in corners, quiet, nice interior, and they're getting about 35mpg highway (and they do alot of driving). Definitely check it out, or even the new smaller Hyundai (accent, is it?)

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
6/2/12 9:58 p.m.

How about a Matrix? Looks cool, Toyota reliability, lots of cargo room, good MPG's, etc..

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/2/12 10:26 p.m.

I drove a Focus today, in that very colour. Nice little car. Yep, the Juke is hideously ugly – with bulbous frog's eyes. But it's an absolute blast to drive. Another vote, however, for the CX-5. One of the best new vehicles I drove this year. Steering ratio almost identical to the Miata, tight handling, practical.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/3/12 7:36 a.m.

I thought the Juke wasn't a car, but a small SUV. Is it really supposed to be a car?

I'm ok with the OP and his wife liking it. I don't like it, but they can if it appeals to them.

I would personally not buy a Nissan - they seem to be cars that are always suspect with quality/design issues.. I don't like the little I know about the new Impreza other than the gas mileage is way better than my WRX. I like the looks of the Focus.

I haven't driven any of those, so I really have nothing of value to add.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/12 8:54 a.m.
irish44j wrote: If I was hiring an interior designer, and she showed up in a vehicle as cosmetically hideous as a Juke, I would find a new interior designer. I second the suggestion above about the Korean cars. My parents have a Sonata (4cyl, non-turbo) and it has been great for the last year since new, no problems. I drove it and it's surprisingly fun to drive for a midsize 4-banger. Suspension is good, not much body lean at all in corners, quiet, nice interior, and they're getting about 35mpg highway (and they do alot of driving). Definitely check it out, or even the new smaller Hyundai (accent, is it?)

hyundai and kia are on a design tear too. They have found their own look and it is good.. their cars are generally damn good looking with lots of nice details (aside from the Velostar)

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
6/3/12 11:08 a.m.

i would consider a focus, except theyre a little too common. Also, my little sister has one. nothing against the car or my little sister.

the matrix is not efficient enough. i used to like the older vibe gt's with that 2zz engine & 6-sp. as they are today theyre just good at evrything but great at nothing. theres no one defining quality to them. and i think thats my gripe with most of the korean cars too. in their case, also the stigma of being a car you bought because you had to. i know thats unfair and not even true these days but its there.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
6/3/12 11:25 a.m.

I've been really impressed with how sleek the new kia optima looks.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UxpBrg1Aksf1gdnrwCiqnmUHky2BffObK5UIP83b9eLyKDQVzi5O8uNOGm18crqY