Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/25/23 4:17 p.m.
feature_image

Looking for proof that it really is easier than ever to get on track these days? Look no further than the SCCA’s Track Night in America program.

What is Track Night in America? We’ll let the SCCA exaplain the concept:

People are busy, with life commitments getting in the way of enjoying quality track time. Enter TNiA, where a few hours in …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/25/23 4:24 p.m.

Daytona!

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
1/25/23 4:37 p.m.

One of my main goals for this year is to go beyond autocross and get to a track day. My Miata should be able to handle it as long as the diff doesn't explode. The only bummer with TNiA is that it happens on weeknights, so I'd have to miss half a day of work at a minimum. But they run at Charlotte, so this might be my chance!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/23 4:43 p.m.

Wonderful news!

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
1/25/23 6:22 p.m.

The license plate on that Miata is a deep cut reference. 

And it's fantastic. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
1/25/23 8:58 p.m.

i hope to be at all of the blackhawk events again this year, hit me up if you're going to be there.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/26/23 6:16 a.m.

Awesome!!  My schedule is so insane, but hopefully I can make some of these events.  If you're going to run AMP or Road Atlanta, let me know.

David S. Wallens
1/26/23 9:14 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Good or bad, it's a weekday thing.

When they ran down at PBiR, I had a comfortable routine: leave work early, drive down, run the car, dinner afterward, drive home. PBiR is/was 3 hours away, and the entire outing took up 12 hours of my day. Not bad for a track day. 

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
1/26/23 10:04 a.m.

Must. Get. E46. Running!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/26/23 10:07 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I'm planning on the first AMP event in March. Hope to see you there.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
1/26/23 11:10 a.m.

So how bad of an idea would it be to take a '15 Fiesta automatic for a novice event?  Obviously fresh brakes but I am more worried about the transmission overheating.  

I've been dying to get my wife into something faster on a track.  I originally wanted her to try a real kart out (even a 4 stroke) instead of just a rental but I'm afraid that would be a little more than she would want to try out.  I think a car with an instructor would be a more reasonable suggestion.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
1/26/23 11:47 a.m.
jmabarone said:

I think a car with an instructor would be a more reasonable suggestion.  

Just to be clear, there's no in-car instructing, just lead-follow and external coaching.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
1/26/23 12:33 p.m.
dps214 said:
jmabarone said:

I think a car with an instructor would be a more reasonable suggestion.  

Just to be clear, there's no in-car instructing, just lead-follow and external coaching.

Ahh, good point.  Still better than just hoping in a kart.  

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/26/23 1:09 p.m.

It's kind of amazing that I live in a geographic anomaly  where I'm within 500 miles of 9 different tracks but no closer than 230 miles to any of them either.  And most in the mid 400's, not exactly "track night" convenient.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/26/23 2:16 p.m.

Ever since my first time driving on track, I've been eager to get back on.

Putting the dates for Daytona on my calendar now.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
1/26/23 2:54 p.m.
jmabarone said:

So how bad of an idea would it be to take a '15 Fiesta automatic for a novice event?  Obviously fresh brakes but I am more worried about the transmission overheating.  

I've been dying to get my wife into something faster on a track.  I originally wanted her to try a real kart out (even a 4 stroke) instead of just a rental but I'm afraid that would be a little more than she would want to try out.  I think a car with an instructor would be a more reasonable suggestion.  

may I suggest you start with a track touring session?  TNiA offers a free track touring session where anybody can go out in a lead/follow and drive the track for a session at highway speeds.  Any car and any experience (assuming they have a drivers license and are at least 18) is welcome 

AND ITS FREE... i.e. come on out and play it costs you nothing but a bit of your time and if she likes it, pay for an event and come back.  

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
1/26/23 3:00 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

may I suggest you start with a track touring session?  TNiA offers a free track touring session where anybody can go out in a lead/follow and drive the track for a session at highway speeds.  Any car and any experience (assuming they have a drivers license and are at least 18) is welcome 

AND ITS FREE... i.e. come on out and play it costs you nothing but a bit of your time and if she likes it, pay for an event and come back.  

Ah, that's what I'm talking about!  

David S. Wallens
1/26/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

Totally take advantage of the track touring laps. That how I got my friend behind the wheel.

She thought she was riding shotgun. As we approached the car, she learned that she was driving.

The only challenge: She had never driven that car before and didn't know where to find reverse. But the smiles after returning to the paddock were huge. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/27/23 9:07 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

It's kind of amazing that I live in a geographic anomaly  where I'm within 500 miles of 9 different tracks but no closer than 230 miles to any of them either.  And most in the mid 400's, not exactly "track night" convenient.

Closest for me is 4-5hrs away.  No Mid Ohio or Putnam Park (IN).  The first year of TNiA they did Putnam and myself/some AX friends left work early and caravanned the 2.25hrs to Putnam and had a blast.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
1/27/23 11:12 a.m.

I'll (hopefully) be in Fontana tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/27/23 1:51 p.m.

By the time they roll into gingerman, I'll probably be on skinnies and drag brakes....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4fitkOP1bDJXohuAPxanu1wsBCxVSof6Expl8bjvsedm4l9jVp574hzU34wKeTY6