Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/2/19 7:05 a.m.

So I was browsing for parts to get a little more power out of my 1993 Miata and found a K&N intake kit on CarID.com. It was about $100 cheaper than all the other kits I was looking into. So I was reading more about it on their website and CarID says its a race only part made for competition use only. Is this for real? It seems like just a normal air intake. 

Link: https://www.carid.com/1993-mazda-miata-air-intakes/kn-57i-series-induction-kit-377226005.html#specifications

Is this legal for use in North Carolina?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/19 7:13 a.m.

If I'm reading that correctly, it does not fit the US model?

Honestly, I might pass on that one and opt for a drop in K&N filter instead.  $36 from Flyin Miata and any questions about "road legal" go out the window (as no one's going to open your air box to check).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/2/19 7:19 a.m.

The indicator means that whoever is making it never went through the process (which is not hard) to demonstrate that it has little or no effect on the emissions.

And while that seems minor, my question is- if they don't want to do that, what else did they overlook?  

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
5/2/19 7:27 a.m.

The whole thing is confusing. It states it's legal in most states, but then says competition only? I'm confused. But according to the googles, your car is exempt from emissions testing in NC. 

Edit: I'm not sure i'd mess with this anyways, the intake is now under the car? hit a small puddle and you're in the danger zone for hydro-lock IMO. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/2/19 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

Well, will I see still the slight performance gain and the noise? That's what I'm going for.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 8:26 a.m.

You'll get noise and probably a decrease in performance due to the higher intake temps with no decrease in intake restriction. Plus you will fail an emissions test in California.

That "intake" under the car is basically a bit of dryer hose that blows air near the intake with the intent of lowering temps. No chance of hydrolocking because there's nothing sucking the air in. 

This wasn't even state of the art when the Miata came out, the Jackson Racing CAI was a better choice then. If you actually want a performance increase, the Randall intake (which IS legal in all 50 states) will do that. 5 hp dyno proven gain.  It costs more money, but it actually does something useful.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
5/2/19 8:27 a.m.

I absolutely would not put this on my car.

IF everything else on the car is perfect, THEN you might consider some sort of CAI (cowl induction is the smart system) and you "might" see 1-2 hp freed up.  You won't feel the difference but you'll hear a little bit.

An exhaust system would be a better investment.  Stickier tires.  Better brake pads.  Fresh motor mounts.  Refresh the shifter.  Replace ALL the fluids.  There are literally hundreds of things you can do that will make your car better before jacking with the air intake.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/2/19 8:30 a.m.
alfadriver said:

The indicator means that whoever is making it never went through the process (which is not hard) to demonstrate that it has little or no effect on the emissions.

And while that seems minor, my question is- if they don't want to do that, what else did they overlook?  

This looks more like a collection of parts meant to be adapted to a car than a model-specific intake that has undergone real testing. I generally would recommend pipes with smooth bends over corrugated flex hose; the flex hose doesn't flow as well.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
5/2/19 9:08 a.m.

not as cheap... but an engine build can (almost always) makes more power

Keith Tanner
5/2/19 9:25 a.m.

That's like saying a repaint can be (almost always) red. Unless you actually make modifications to the engine OR your stock engine is in bad shape, there's no reason why a rebuild would make more power.

The bang for the buck in Miatas is suspension. You can make a much bigger difference to the car spending $1000 on suspension than you can spending $1000 on trying to make power. The corollary to that is that cheaping out on the suspension will also have a much bigger effect on the car than cheaping out on the power - if you get cheap and nasty suspension, you'll get punished for it every time you drive the car. If you get a cheap and nasty intake, you'll just be out $120.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
5/2/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

This applies to all cars almost universally.  The main goal of a lot of the aftermarket is to separate you from your dollars.  K&N hates me though.  They used to call me and complain about it.  They are great at marketing though, gotta give them their due credit.

Keith Tanner
5/2/19 10:28 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

The main goal of a lot of the aftermarket is to separate you from your dollars.  

You could say it's the main goal of most businesses. Anything else is not sustainable.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
5/2/19 11:04 a.m.

You are right.  The key is finding businesses that are honest and above board.  I should’ve said the only goal at some businesses is to separate you from your money.

It’s a fact to sustain a business, but it doesn’t have to be the only goal.  I know where you work, and you guys already know this hence the great reputation.

Trust me, when it comes to a good chunk of the aftermarket, it’s the only goal.  I won’t KName any companies outright, but you KNow what I’m getting at.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 11:43 a.m.
thedanimal said:

The whole thing is confusing. It states it's legal in most states, but then says competition only? I'm confused. But according to the googles, your car is exempt from emissions testing in NC. 

Just because the state doesn't care doesn't mean it's legal.

Try crossing the US border with a gallon of marijuana and see how much "but my state doesn't care" gets you... 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
5/3/19 4:01 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

not as cheap... but an engine build can (almost always) makes more power

Keith Tanner said:

That's like saying a repaint can be (almost always) red. Unless you actually make modifications to the engine OR your stock engine is in bad shape, there's no reason why a rebuild would make more power.

The bang for the buck in Miatas is suspension. You can make a much bigger difference to the car spending $1000 on suspension than you can spending $1000 on trying to make power. The corollary to that is that cheaping out on the suspension will also have a much bigger effect on the car than cheaping out on the power - if you get cheap and nasty suspension, you'll get punished for it every time you drive the car. If you get a cheap and nasty intake, you'll just be out $120.

not a rebuild my friend... but a properly built engine... as the OP was asking for more power... not better suspension... kiss

Like this.... 

Keith Tanner
5/3/19 4:33 p.m.

I am familiar with the effects of building an engine with upgraded and modified internals. I just wouldn't assume that any "build" is more powerful than stock.

The OP was looking for cheap performance. In the Miata world, that's suspension and not an engine build. Take the money for an upgraded engine and spend it on a turbo kit, you'll get much more bang for the buck. But meanwhile, spending half that money on the suspension can transform the car. Sometimes it's about trying to figure out what someone wants, not what they're asking.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/10/20 9:09 a.m.

As far as having an aftermarket intake in N.C., they shouldn't fail you for it. I've had an aftermarket intake on my MSM in Wake county since 2014, and it's always passed without comment, other than "That looks cool!" They'll ding you for removing the cat or if they can't read the OBD, but that's it. The biggest problem I've had with inspections is finding someone who can drive a stick to pull the car in the bay.

Listen to the experts like Keith about an intake on a normally aspirated Miata and spend you money elsewhere, unless you just want to make more noise. 

Edit: Sorry for commenting on an old post. It popped up at the top of the page as if it was new. Strange.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q0T1hyU2EC4Rnr5p1L1jExDWgGHQEavbWMGXCY58TebNAwqycnze6Hnwr7fS1jLu