MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/18/11 8:27 p.m.

This past December, I installed some Bilstein Touring Class struts on the rear of our 97 Golf. At the time, it was an emergency repair, and I didn't think much about future suspension plans.

Now I need to do the fronts, but I'm not sure where to go at this point. The car is a daily, but I would like to do some autoX events this summer if time and money allow.

So I need new front struts, and I also think it's time for fresh springs. I'm looking at the H&R OE Sport springs. Not looking to go super low, just good manners for a shared daily driver.

For the damping, I don't know how the Bilstein TC's compare with the Koni STR.T's in terms of valving, but based on their prices, I'm assuming they're similar. Since I'll probably go with some fresh OE Sport springs, what should I do for the struts?

1: Go Bilstein TC's all around

2: Run Koni STR.T's on the front, keep the TC's on the back

3: Grab a full set of Koni's (since they're on sale).

?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/18/11 9:37 p.m.

Get a set of bilstien hd dampers.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/18/11 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K: I think those are over-budget for the OP.

My understanding is that the STR.T is like a Koni Yellow on full-soft. Not really something I'd want in my car. I'd stick with the Bilsteins.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/18/11 10:25 p.m.

Yeah, budget is small. So Bilstein might be the best bet. Cheaper, since I already have them on the rear, and even though it may not make a big difference, having matching struts sounds nicer.

I think I just want to believe the Koni's are something they're not.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/18/11 10:42 p.m.

Splitting hairs I'm sure, but is there any difference in choosing a Corrado TC over a Golf TC? They're a mere $4 more per wheel, and supposedly firmer than the Golf version. Is there a drawback (or advantage) to having a slightly firmer damper in the front?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/19/11 12:04 a.m.

I have STR.T's (paired with Tein S-Tech springs) on my daily driver '00 Civic DX sedan. This is a phenomenal daily driver setup, but it has little to no performance worth. A bit more lively than stock, but far from an auto-x setup (then again, plenty of bone stock cars are autocrossed).

I have another Civic with Koni Yellows and Neuspeed Springs (as well as a former Civic with Yellows and Ground Controls) and I can say that even on full-soft, they are a much more taut setup than the STR.T's.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/19/11 1:17 a.m.

You can buy used bilstien HDs from the junkyard for less than $100. Honestly, unless you are going as far as custom spring rates and revalving, the only choices for a VW are bilstiens, or whatever cheap junk you happen to have to run while you save money to get bilstiens.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
4/19/11 7:19 a.m.

I like the Koni STR.Ts on my Miata - currently on stock springs, waiting for enough time, good weather, and daylight to swap to Mazdaspeed MX5 springs (it's basically still winter here in Maine). I agree - they are essentially a Koni Sport on full soft. I can verify that because my last Miata had Koni Sports, which I ran at full soft on the street unless I forgot to turn them down after an autocross.

But if you're on a budget, and you're OK with how the rear of your car handles, I'd say stick with the Bilsteins in front so that everything matches.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/19/11 8:09 a.m.

While I'm really tempted to get the HD's now, I have to keep reminding myself that this is really just a daily driver shared with the GF. So TC's it is!

Now, aside from my purchasing conundrum, is it generally a bad/good idea to have different valving in the front or back? Are there situations where one chassis does better with firmer front valving and softer rear valving?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/11 8:29 a.m.

A lot of shock/strut info is very application-specific, so I'd more heavily weigh info directly pertaining to your car.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
4/19/11 9:34 a.m.

I have TC's on my Mk IV. Like you, I went with the budget choice... they get the job done and are definitely better than the OE Boge struts, but really wish I'd dug deeper for FSD's instead...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dmuvg3pYHlHAgg2VTITWqsRJ5Zt7w9FqudMUDCTR9ONCMW53ZdD6DWun5E230n0c