Page

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/19 12:06 a.m.

Two

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/11/19 8:38 a.m.

Anyone else disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a convertible option?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 10:39 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
irish44j said:

Really suprised it took LR this long to cash in on the rich-people trendiness of the Defender name. 

Of course, now the people who for years have been able to say "I have a Defender 90" and everyone was like "damn!" will now say it and people will say "so, so do 500 other people in the DC suburbs..." until they explain it's an old one. 

Series II owners have had that problem for a few years now.

Defender has to wear a lot of hats. In the US, it's rich people trendiness. In the UK, it's a work vehicle. That's a tough fit.

I just find it hilarious how those roles reverse in different places. By me a Defender is a nice work truck and a Wrangler is an unobtainable statusmobile.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 10:45 a.m.
mad_machine said:

After watching that it's shocking just how far in the other direction they went from the WW2-era interior of the old Defender. That's A LOT of stuff to break.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/19 10:50 a.m.

It looks like the transmission controls are also electronic and don't have physical stops for what you select. Jeep had so much luck with that.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/11/19 10:51 a.m.

The fact that LR needed to include a rear camera which takes over the entire rearview mirror, then put in the press release announcement, tells me everything I need to know about the engineering that went into this thing.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/11/19 10:51 a.m.
mtn said:

Anyone else disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a convertible option?

Obviously Victoria Beckham wasn't involved in this project. (yes I know the history of the Defender.)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 11:08 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
mad_machine said:

After watching that it's shocking just how far in the other direction they went from the WW2-era interior of the old Defender. That's A LOT of stuff to break.

The Series I, II and IIa trucks had WW2 era interiors. The Defender was plush by comparison. No bare metal :)

Defender (2015)

NAS Defender (1995)

Series II Land Rover (not Defender).

Also, this has happened: there's a Lego version.
https://hooniverse.com/2020-lego-rover-defender-is-here-and-its-awesome

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/11/19 11:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
GameboyRMH said:
mad_machine said:

The Series I, II and IIa trucks had WW2 era interiors. The Defender was plush by comparison. No bare metal :)

Defender (2015)

NAS Defender (1995)

Series II Land Rover (not Defender).

Also, this has happened: there's a Lego version.
https://hooniverse.com/2020-lego-rover-defender-is-here-and-its-awesome

yep my Dad had two of the latter.  RHD and nowhere near as in nice condition.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/19 11:21 a.m.

85 ECU'sfrown

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/11/19 2:37 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

85 ECU'sfrown

That has to be incorrect, doesn't it (I watched it so I know he said it)? More like 85 chips.........which that even sounds outrageous considering modern computing power. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
84TvWU3ulGWuGVtWwbNehVY1OnX2D1C0YsOdx66fzIYwOplJZQWVD8mpPXQ5HITZ