McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
3/26/13 9:32 a.m.

I'm unsure if this belongs in GRM or Off-Topic; since it's related to Auto-X I figure I'd post it here.

I run the Events for my local car club which predominately involve seat-time specific Auto-X's ( minimum 15 runs per driver over the course of the day ). This has been great until this year, where due to staffing issues at the facility we use, we no longer are able to use the facility.

The club wants to continue events but we now need a new venue. We have one in mind that is already used by the local drifters so I need to come up with a proposal for the business that owns the land. Obviously I need to convince them why it would be beneficial for them to allow us to rent their facility.

Apart from the $$$ and the fact that we have all the necessary insurance, what else could I use as incentives?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/26/13 9:39 a.m.

...How about the fact that auto-x clubs are generally several orders of magnitude more professional and respectful than "drifters."

Seriously, if this business rents their lot out to a bunch of flat-brimmed doriftos in clapped-out S13s, you should have zero issues getting them to rent it to you.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/13 9:41 a.m.

"We're just like the drifters but we're quieter, safer, and leave less litter."

Edit: D'oh, beaten.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/26/13 9:46 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: "We're just like the drifters but we're quieter, safer, and leave less litter." Edit: D'oh, beaten.

QFT.

A bunch of dorifto dingbats used "our" parking lot the day before an auto-x. We actually had to do a FOD walk just to pick up all the zip ties, cigarette butts, chunks of rubber, screws, and pieces of plastic body kits.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/26/13 9:47 a.m.

The issues you'll run into are scheduling, fear of over use/abuse.

Get with the drifters, so you offer the same amount of money on the event fee. Conflicting dollar amounts will cause turmoil. Working with them to avoid schedule conflicts so it's not the land lords headache. Present you insurance, a video or two, and if the old facility would give you a recommendation, that would be good.

That fact they let cars on their facility already is a very good start.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/26/13 10:01 a.m.

You'll do a lot less damage to the surface than the drifters

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/26/13 10:48 a.m.

one thing to remember is, DON'T show up for an interview with the land owner in shorts, flip-flops, and a T shirt .... try to make a good first impression a'la a job interview ....

don't have your paper work stuffed in a grocery bag ...

a nice attache case, and nice clothes goes a long way towards saying "we're a responsible group of people" ....

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
3/26/13 11:38 a.m.

offer to do clean up, maybe a two times a year work day to really spruce up the area. No racing that day, just everyone coming out to give it a good cleaning.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/26/13 12:01 p.m.

Assuming it's a parking lot, we actually had someone in the club with a line painter. We'd re-paint the lines on the lot at the end of the season.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/26/13 1:14 p.m.
sachilles wrote: Assuming it's a parking lot, we actually had someone in the club with a line painter. We'd re-paint the lines on the lot at the end of the season.

That's a really cool idea, actually...

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
3/26/13 1:41 p.m.

I would talk about taking racing off the street, driver training and especially teen driver training.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/26/13 2:51 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

Painting the lines every year at our big lot is the main reason we are allowed to use it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/26/13 3:26 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
sachilles wrote: Assuming it's a parking lot, we actually had someone in the club with a line painter. We'd re-paint the lines on the lot at the end of the season.

Line paint isn't real expensive anyway if you cant find a driver that does it. You could always hire, even though the drifters do much more damage.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/26/13 3:26 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:

Line paint isn't real expensive anyway if you cant find a driver that does it. You could always hire, even though the drifters do much more damage.

The SCCA around here uses arena and track parking lots, as I'm sure is most common.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tK6oNjloK9DLqKVn6ktKTK0tU3SZspXfXvZI8kswNvoXLAlGDzWzpOcbyH9EDdJ5