jrflying
jrflying New Reader
12/31/12 6:56 p.m.

What do I need to know? It has 133k on the odometer?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/31/12 7:02 p.m.

Mercedes never made an "M500," so I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean the ML500, which is a luxury crossover that, by all accounts, is built like total crap while also being horrifically expensive to fix. These were famous for shoddy workmanship when new, particularly HUGE panel gaps. A quick Google seems to indicate that they harbor many other expensive problems as well.

EDIT: I think 2006 is the first year of the second generation, which doesn't inspire me with any confidence...newer M-B stuff is generally pretty crappy even without first year gremlins.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
12/31/12 8:47 p.m.

Geeeez what happened to MB? Crappy is one thing and expensive is another but putting the two together is never good. At one time they were built like bank vaults.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
12/31/12 8:49 p.m.

from what I've seen, the ML in general is completely shoddy.
I've worked on a mid 2000s ML500, and with around 150k, it was leaking everywhere, every fluid. it drove like crap and most of the doodads inside no longer functioned. All the warning lights were on as well.
This is owned by someone who also has an IMMACULATE S600 coupe, so I don't think neglect is to blame.
The ML320 is in the same boat, with the added demerit of not having the v8, so it's slower and worse to drive, to boot.
I'd stay away. If you're looking for a luxe german crossover thing I'd get a touareg personally. Or a q7 or whatever that audi thing is. Or something not german lol.

fanfoy
fanfoy New Reader
12/31/12 9:06 p.m.

Don't get a Q7 either, they are crap. My friend and neighbor has one, and its been in the shop for half its life for simple (water leaks inside, tailgate won't shut properly, misc electrical gremlins) and not so simple things (locking brakes and some sort of timing chain recall they can't seem to be able to finish properly).

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/31/12 9:45 p.m.

The weird thing about this segment is that all the Euro options seem to be crap. BMW X5, Audi Q7, M-B ML, VW Touareg...all expensive, complicated crap from everything I've heard. Weirdly, and you won't hear me say this often, the Touareg seems to be the least crappy of the bunch, with the X5 a close second, as I occasionally hear of decent ones. I've never heard a single good thing about the Q7 or ML though.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
12/31/12 9:56 p.m.

I've heard the touareg was the best of the segment too, it's not saying much though lol
in that sort of a segment, maybe an fx35? maybe a murano? The nissans come with their own problems but they aren't as bad...
probably better served by getting whatever a crv, fully loaded. or a yota. or you could get a year or two old korean crossover loaded for the same money probably because they don't hold value, even though the quality is waaaaaaaaaay up from the past.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/1/13 12:34 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Geeeez what happened to MB? Crappy is one thing and expensive is another but putting the two together is never good. At one time they were built like bank vaults.

The accountants took over in the late 80s.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
1/1/13 10:33 a.m.

Get an Infiniti FX series instead.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/1/13 11:05 a.m.

No experience with the MB, but my parents have the BMW and after 3 years it has needed almost nothing. So far it's the most trouble free BMW they've had. My wife has a CRV and after 9 years the only repair has been an AC compressor. And it drives as well as the BMW. You don't get all the toys, but is by far the better SUV, including things like fit and finish. And depreciation isn't anything like the Germans.

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/1/13 11:13 a.m.

We used a ML320 for a tow vehicle for our raceboat team and had no issues. The tranny is a weak point as it is a bit undersized for the ML500. Fit and finish aren't the best but it is a surefooted thing.

I would avoid the ML500 as well. Actually I would all of the German Full Size SUV segment. I love my X3 but it is a stick and is closer to the cute ute category.

Unless you can afford on of the diesels

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1qafNtDE3dCyi53iVzmiNEHjBZ9ydRegK0tr7JgiQuKrkJlpyuDSkfGy9MpNXwId