06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/15/23 2:29 p.m.

Been semi-seriously looking for a replacement for my 30+ year old work beater.  Stumbled on a 2015 Mazda 3 Hatchback mit Manuel transmission in a local (to me) search.  Only ever driven one of these once, a rental back in 2018.  Concidentally it was a hatchback too, just automatic instead of manual.  It wasn't a highway bomber, had some bouncing over freeway expansion joints, but i did like the way it handled, it doesn't sit ten feet high like an SUV, and seems like a better option than the "vaporware" EVO X that another local claimed to have on the lot, but was nowhere in their inventory.   What say the hive?

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
2/15/23 4:20 p.m.

My GF has a 2017 manual hatch as her DD, bought new, now at ~70k miles. Hers is the 2.0L, but there's also the 2.5L in the higher trims; the 2.0L is more fun to drive hard, but the 2.5L is easier to use if you don't want to shift much. It's a solid car, nice interior (especially given the price), good cargo space, and decent handling out of the box. Hers has needed nothing except basic maintenance and consumables. My only real complaint is that the seats don't fit me especially well, but that's obviously going to be different for everyone. With a little drop and good dampers it could be really entertaining.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/15/23 4:30 p.m.

We have a 2018 with the 2.5 and 6 speed automatic. 60k miles so far and 0 issues. Nice steering, fun to drive, nice interior. Definitely recommend. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/15/23 6:01 p.m.

Yep, definitely recommend. My dad has a '15 with the 2.5 with the auto. Has needed nothing except oil changes. Seriously. Rock solid.

I really like the way they drive. Great chassis. Love it in the twisty stuff. The engine is strong enough. Steering is good. I haven't tried the MT, but I actually like the auto pretty well in Sport mode. It's good out the box and I imagine it would be really special with some great aftermarket dampers.

MPGs are solid too.

My only complaint is that the seats are hard on my sciatic nerve for some reason. If I owned one, I would have to put a pad of some sort in the bottom cushion. My dad doesn't seem to complain so it could depend body to body, as mentioned above.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/15/23 6:13 p.m.

I had one with a 2.5 last October as a rental.

As compared to my CX-3 daily driver, it was noticeably quicker (duh, the 500 extra CC's more than makes up for the ~150 extra pounds) but the infotainment system wasn't nearly as convenient and the steep rake of the windshield brought the top of it too close to my head (I'm 5'9" BTW).

Handling was typical Mazda which is to say excellent and came in handy as I was in Puerto Rico where you get smoked quickly if you're not on it. 

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
2/15/23 9:03 p.m.

My lady has a 2018 with 60k mi, it's the 2.5 automatic. She's owned it since new with basically no issues other than the passenger seat upholstery came unhooked from the seat bottom pretty early on. Fit and finish is otherwise quite good for the price, and the blue paint is nice when it's clean. Decently fun to drive for a fwd automatic, I really like the broad power of the 2.5 even if it's not a high revving engine. I think she averages about 29 mpg around town and 33 on the highway.
The seats are comfy for a few hours at a stint, though it takes me a little while adjusting the driver seat to get my position just right. Road noise is a little higher than my sister's 1st gen Fusion, which I think is a Mazda thing. With just a more aggressive alignment I think it could be a pretty enjoyable car on the right road.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/16/23 6:00 p.m.

Yeah, your comment about road noise reminded me that it can feel loud on certain types of pavement. A lot of people complain about this with this era Mazda.

It's odd, because it's probably not actually as noisy as my 2006 Ford E250 for example, but something about the way everything else seems quiet some how makes it seem like the road noise is loud. I guess it's possible the road noise is just louder, but I have the sense that it's actually relative. I also wonder how different tires would impact it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WAQNphSRwVos9PFxwrdQywvhqdG16uvudOtkEqiDwtUGwuyITA2az0Czv22bxFeI