CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Reader
10/18/10 8:43 a.m.

I am looking at a 93 mercedes 300 te wagon. Its listed for pretty cheap. 155k miles. Need something for the wife to haul kids the kids to school in. She may drive 50 miles a week. Was looking for a passat wagon but this popped up for cheap.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/18/10 9:41 a.m.

Well, at a cheap price and that mileage you can expect to do some maintenance work. That will probably (and by probably I mean definitely) expensive. But after you do all that needs to be done, you will have one of the best vehicles ever built. Ever. This was back when MB was considered the most reliable car out there; Mercedes Benz said this was the last car they were going to overengineer, the last car they would build to a quality standard and not a price-point.

Dad had a 300E, same year; his had the 3.2. This one might have the 3.0, I know they were a little funny about getting the different body styles the same engine. Dad still regrets selling it almost 10 years later. I wish I could remember all the problem areas, but its been too long since we looked at one.

The one thing I seem to remember about them is that whether you buy it at the price or put that much into it, you are going to be spending about 5-8k for a good one. I actually have one lined up to buy if the people who have it ever want to get rid of it. So I think I'm going to have to wait another 15 years at least.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/18/10 9:56 a.m.

It sounds a lot like mine. I've owned it about a year, and it's been great. Make sure everything works before you buy it. Keep up with maintenance, it's much cheaper than the repairs.

Reports indicate that the cylinder gaskets are prone to failure, but most(?) have been repaired by now and once repaired should last a very long time. I was also warned to stay away from 4matic models, but can't recall exactly why other than they're generally more complex and less reliable. YMMV.

I've been told by die-hard Mercedes fans that this was the last era of Benz that was designed to be the very best in the world regardless of cost.

Mine is for sale to the right buyer. I love it, but I've convinced myself I want a Cherokee instead. Still, I'd like to see it go to a good home. If I had space for 4 vehicles, I'd keep it.

Check out this video as an endorsement to their durability.

EvanR
EvanR New Reader
10/18/10 10:05 a.m.

At 50 miles per week, fuel economy is not an issue. Good thing - my pal had the 4MATIC version of this and regularly got 14mpg, on premium fuel.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/18/10 10:13 a.m.

Oh, one tidbit about the build quality of these. I was told this by a friend who studied at Mercedes Benz.

They (Mercedes Benz) would take these, open the door, and grab onto the door with a crane. They would then pick the car up by the door, put it back down, and then shut the door. It closed the same as if it were on the show-room floor. I'm not aware of too many cars that are that well put together.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/18/10 10:23 a.m.
EvanR wrote: At 50 miles per week, fuel economy is not an issue. Good thing - my pal had the 4MATIC version of this and regularly got 14mpg, on premium fuel.

I get about 18 mpg in town, better (but not much) on the highway. I've run it (accidentally of course) on regular unleaded for a tankful and the car didn't seem to mind a bit.

It's not a powerhouse, but should handle Colorado mountains nicely. I'd recommend it over a Passat wagon of similar value without hesitation.

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Reader
10/18/10 4:38 p.m.

Cool.

I have no prblem with a 98/99 Passat as I work on VWs for a living.

The Mercedes just seemed kinda cool for some reason. I would really like a E28 535i but then I would be afraid that it would become my car and not hers.

I am mostly concerned with the drive train and how the trans hold up on the Benz.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds New Reader
10/18/10 4:45 p.m.

I had an 87 300e sedan. Engine will last a loooong time w/ regular valve adjustments. I replaced an alternator, ignition module and two window regulators. IIRC the timing tensioner is a good idea to service on really high-mile examples. The wagon has a hydraulic rear suspension that is pricey to fix but someone one here noted recently that a conversion to standard coils is doable for much less.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
10/18/10 5:41 p.m.

I have a 92 300D. I love it, it's the best boooooring car I've ever owned. I get 40 mpg on the highwaty, 35 average .
Oh, and I run it on grease so I only fill up my tank about as often as I change the oil. LOVE IT!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GsQ1vkwpqQ2bngVvJrPgvTbZWMOHwdAA3KHO4iQwYJJKK4aVujjToPsQyBvEjWHj