rdmx
rdmx New Reader
5/4/11 1:38 a.m.

Seen a 2001 Alero coupe with a 2.4l 5 speed for sale cheap.
Looking to use it as summer beater car instead of my Cherokee (until next winter). How reliable are the engine, trans, and body? How do they handle?

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
5/4/11 9:33 a.m.

My brother had one....had!

RUN AWAY!!!!!!

Various elctrical maladies - the dealer ended up basically rebuilding the entire engine wiring harness piece-by-piece over 20 or so service calls.

I'm a GM guy and I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle New Reader
5/4/11 10:00 a.m.

I actually forgot that one of my friends had one because it was in the shop so much.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
5/4/11 10:07 a.m.

Ohh an Olds Alero? When some one asks you 'what kind of car do you have' you can reply 'a white one'! They have a faux duel exhaust on some of those. You can see all the way through the fake tail pipe and see light coming through.

pres589
pres589 Dork
5/4/11 10:22 a.m.

I really can't think of any redeeming feature of the Alero. If I didn't have a car I would take one as a gift but I can't see spending my own money on it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/11 11:52 a.m.

should be fine for basic transportation. The 5-spd is a somewhat rare find. Looks better than a Grand-Am.

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
5/4/11 12:17 p.m.

The alero is to the government as the taurus is to the city hall. Most of the alero I've seen are government cars, now they are being replaced with hyundai.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/11 12:47 p.m.

let me be the voice of dissent then.

i think the alero coupe is a decent-looking car, and that's the ecotec 2.4 isn't it? if it's still alive after 10 years, perhaps it's one of the plus-three-sigma examples. i'd rock it if it was cheap.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/11 1:24 p.m.

I like Aleros as well. They are decent vanilla flavored appliances.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
5/4/11 1:30 p.m.

I could never get past the goofy-looking oversized taillights.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/11 2:55 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

imo the taillights are the worst part of the exterior, but i still don't hate them.

pres589
pres589 Dork
5/4/11 3:54 p.m.

I always thought the tire size picked by GM on that car was odd, like the thing looks out of proportion. Also awkward styling from the rear 3/4ths view, like the C-pillar was designed by a committee. Interior coated in materials that no other GM product at that point in time would be allowed to use; 80's G-body mouse fur, for instance.

It seemed odd to me that the Olds badge would be on the then current Intrigue, the Aurora, and then that thing all at the same time. Would have been better as a Chevy or something cheaper.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
5/4/11 11:13 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Looks better than a Grand-Am.

Pretty much the only redeeming factor for an Alero.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
5/5/11 6:56 a.m.

The only Alero I ever liked was one I saw at a car show. Looked completely stock, other than oversize wheels and tires. In truth, the Alero body had been dropped onto an S-10 frame, converting it to RWD, and powered by a 454.

No, the Alero driven by someone I dated years ago didn't make the list...

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
5/5/11 9:29 a.m.

In reply to White_and_Nerdy:

i was just about to post that. coolest car at the show i saw it at years ago. at first he didnt have the hood up but something looked a tad off and the rear pumpkin confirmed my thoughts.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
5/5/11 12:44 p.m.

I'd get it just for the 2.4 Twin Cam and the 5 spd. Would rather have the 2.3 HO though...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5k3LuoAwtb9enwkwdsmn3Fs7QBNkJhacGYQUFinPi90cBsU0tUULpZcZpvzHs4Ah