1 2 3 4
Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
5/17/10 1:15 p.m.

You guys are the worst kind of influence. I've always loved C4's and now I'm in a position where I can afford to buy a nice, late one and have fun with it.

Are the Z51's really that much more harsh than the others? I remember finding a page last summer with a comparison of the various year/package's spring rates but i can't seem to find it now.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/10 1:43 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote: You guys are the worst kind of influence. I've always loved C4's and now I'm in a position where I can afford to buy a nice, late one and have fun with it. Are the Z51's really that much more harsh than the others? I remember finding a page last summer with a comparison of the various year/package's spring rates but i can't seem to find it now.

I would look for a Z51 simply for the faster steering -- though even the base steering in my C4 was responsive. Z51s also had bigger brakes, but a C5 brake upgrade is a better option than the J55 package on Z51s -- rotors and pads are much cheaper for the C5, and the brakes are much thicker, so they are a better heat sink.

The Z51 package was recalibrated several times over the life of the C4, so it isn't easy to generalize. The 1984 Z51s are the most notorious for their ride quality.

Rob

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
5/17/10 2:16 p.m.

GOT IT

http://www.idavette.net/hib/c4/sustunch.pdf

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/10 4:00 p.m.

forget the guy who makes the c5 brake adapter brackets but i can find his name if anyone wants them. he makes nice stuff and very affordable. i have his brackets and am going to try to stuff c6 z51 brakes on the front of the 91. the rotors are large by massive.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
5/17/10 4:12 p.m.
ZOO wrote: There are also kits that allow you to remove the leaf springs, and replace them with a coilover set-up on each shock. Uber-trick.

Is this just for a better selection of springs/rates? Easier ride-height adjustment? Forgive me, but I'm a noob when it comes to leaf springs. I can understand that adding/removing leafs and height adapters could be a pain though.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/10 4:14 p.m.
Matt B wrote:
ZOO wrote: There are also kits that allow you to remove the leaf springs, and replace them with a coilover set-up on each shock. Uber-trick.
Is this just for a better selection of springs/rates? Easier ride-height adjustment? Forgive me, but I'm a noob when it comes to leaf springs. I can understand that adding/removing leafs and height adapters could be a pain though.

It makes the suspension truly independent (the leaf spring is transverse, so it is connected on either side -- not sure how much this impacts the suspension). It also allows you to properly corner-weight the car.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/10 4:25 p.m.

I thought the leaf springs had adjusters on each corner that allow corner weighing.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/10 4:43 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I thought the leaf springs had adjusters on each corner that allow corner weighing.

I think that's on C5s, but I could be wrong.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/17/10 4:48 p.m.

there's one in our club that is just an absolute bad a$$

Matt B
Matt B Reader
5/17/10 4:58 p.m.

Ah, I didn't realize the leaf springs were transverse. I think I'm going to have to try and dig up some pics so I can understand what's going on.

Walter Sobchakj said So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...
a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/17/10 6:02 p.m.

buggy springs. A lot of folks throw off on em but they do work. C5s had em too and I think C6 too!

njansenv
njansenv Reader
5/17/10 6:21 p.m.

I cringe when I hear "buggy springs".
The implementation is SO far removed from what people normally consider leaf springs as to be completely and utterly unrelated.

Springs are springs: the transverse setup on the vettes doesn't suffer interleaf friction like the leafs of yore, and is, in fact simply an independent suspension that uses a different deflecting medium than other independent suspension vehicles. It's light and packages well.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
5/17/10 6:54 p.m.

C4s are a deal and there has been a lot of development work on them. They do have issues with bearing failures - but any 3000 pound car that can pull Gs, go 140 mpgh and brake hard will...

I think C5s are a better deal for a track toy (or most anything else).

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/10 7:31 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote: You guys are the worst kind of influence. I've always loved C4's and now I'm in a position where I can afford to buy a nice, late one and have fun with it. Are the Z51's really that much more harsh than the others? I remember finding a page last summer with a comparison of the various year/package's spring rates but i can't seem to find it now.

I drove past a pretty nice one today, not far from where you are. The guy wanted $7800. It had some huge Torq Thrust style wheels on it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
5/17/10 7:36 p.m.

I haven't driven a Corvette with standard suspension, but the Z51 I had was THE stiffest suspension I've seen in a production car. However, compared to a Miata with a reasonably good Street Prepared autocross suspension, it's not quite as harsh. (That may be as much on account of its weight and wheelbase, though.)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/10 9:32 p.m.
Woody wrote: So, you've moved to America, gone to Vegas and bought a Corvette? Now all you've got to do is get yourself a handgun and start hating the French, though not necessarily in that order. You'll fit right in here.

Yep. Not to mention that Ann & me eloped to Vegas a few years ago to get married.

A couple of crappy phone pics:

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
5/17/10 9:53 p.m.

That is srsly nice. . . The color is awesome. . .

Congrats!!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds New Reader
5/18/10 12:04 p.m.

Congratulations on the get Boxhead - very nice.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/18/10 6:22 p.m.

Looks good, Tim! Congrats!

nervousdog
nervousdog New Reader
5/24/10 2:16 p.m.

Update 5/24

We bought the '84 Corvette. It is in great condition, needs nothing but could use a new set of tires. Got it from the original owner and received the original window sticker, shop manuals, Chiltons, maint records, etc. All for less than 1.35 Challenge cars.

Pics as soon as we get it home. It is currently residing with my inlaws, about 400 miles away.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
5/24/10 3:55 p.m.

Congrats! I think you're going to enjoy it. I almost miss the wife's '78 L-82 that we sold a while back. It just sat in the garage, since a Corvette lacks the room to transport two kids. She tells me I'm crazy, but I think we might own another 'vette some day.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds New Reader
5/24/10 5:00 p.m.

Congratulations!

Vigo
Vigo Reader
5/24/10 5:06 p.m.

Congrats on the purchase..

You found pretty much the ONLY kind of C4 deal i could see myself springing for, so consider me slightly jealous.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
6/6/10 2:48 p.m.
nervousdog wrote: Update 5/24 We bought the '84 Corvette. It is in great condition, needs nothing but could use a new set of tires. Got it from the original owner and received the original window sticker, shop manuals, Chiltons, maint records, etc. All for less than 1.35 Challenge cars. Pics as soon as we get it home. It is currently residing with my inlaws, about 400 miles away.

nice score

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/7/10 6:43 p.m.

No look what you made me go and look for!

I have a C3 but making it handle as well as one of these is causing me fits.

84=ninth grade!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UdBnucdO9u1WvGxkga4GdZ8k7KDLeIfXfKQZsi7jfdyYBK7WT3lWvNgx64muHcRQ