1 2 3
CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
3/28/21 12:26 p.m.

What the?!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/28/21 12:46 p.m.

Mr. Brown disrespected OnStar.  What did you expect would happen?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/21 1:34 p.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) Forum Supporter said:

7 days, 350 miles, 1 tow, maybe needs a new transmission...

Updates on Monday.

What was it doing?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/28/21 1:40 p.m.

Could be something small and simple so I'm not trying to insight panic but Lemon Laws very by state so I gave a quick look to Michigan.

Seem the quick answer is 4 repair attempts in 2 years or 30 days out of service...

https://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-359-81903_20942-252777--,00.html

Question: What is considered a reasonable number of repair attempts?

Answer: It is presumed that a reasonable number of repair attempts have been taken if one of the following occurs:

(a)  The same defect or condition continues to exist even though the vehicle has been subjected to repair a total of four or more times within two years of the date of the first attempt to repair the defect or condition; or 

(b)  The vehicle is out of service because of repairs for a total of 30 or more days or parts of days during the term of the manufacturer’s express warranty, or within one year from the date of delivery to the original consumer, whichever comes first. This option does not require the same problem to be the cause of the days out of service.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/28/21 1:48 p.m.

30 days out of service during the warranty period which could be 3 years seems like a low bar.  Especially when it states that the 30 days do not have to be the same issue.  If there are parts supply problems you could wait 10 days for a part.  Do that 3 times...

Sure, I too wouldn't be happy but it's nice to know you could get away from the vehicle.  

But, that's the luxury of buying new.  At this point go pick up your loaner (which is hopefully as nice a trim truck as you bought and not a Chevy Spark) and let them do what they do and get it repaired.    

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/21 2:15 p.m.
John Welsh said:

30 days out of service during the warranty period which could be 3 years seems like a low bar.  Especially when it states that the 30 days do not have to be the same issue.  If there are parts supply problems you could wait 10 days for a part.  Do that 3 times...

Sure, I too wouldn't be happy but it's nice to know you could get away from the vehicle.  

But, that's the luxury of buying new.  At this point go pick up your loaner (which is hopefully as nice a trim truck as you bought and not a Chevy Spark) and let them do what they do and get it repaired.    

its 30 days in the first year unless the warranty period is shorter, what you posted even says that

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/28/21 6:49 p.m.

Updates on Monday.

I'm sure you already did, but check the owners manual.  Bought my '14 Sierra new, 80 miles home, next morning I hooked up my trailer (small 6x12 cargo) and drove 200 miles to Houston.  That night, while chilling at the hotel, I read the owners manual.  It said "no towing for the first 500 miles".  Ooops.  Luckily, never had an issue with the truck, but it might be worth covering your bases before you head to the dealer.

-Rob

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/28/21 10:28 p.m.

The Silverado with the 2.7T motor seems like an interesting combo. Quick search on Autotrader found some under $30k pre-owned.

According to my new besties at the Chebbydae dealer it is the ECU. One is on order. In place of the $40k investment I get to drive an Enterprise supplied 2020 Malibu with 45k on it and the strong lingering odor if skunk weed. Imma have my peepo come over and blaze up with the good good just to balance it out. 

Thw only concern is the semiconductor shortage and wether there really is an ECU in the system. You see the 2.7t utilizes a cylinder deactivation system and the ECUs on all GM trucks are having a supply AND quality issue.

30 days is a probability. If it gets Lemon Lawed, which I do not want, GM will put me into a similar trick and pay for any extras like the GAP and Extended Warranty per the representative for my specific situation. I stated I would be okay if the replacement truck was supplied with a 6.2L. He said "I am certain you would be!" 

To be clear, I did work in the GM service industry for a minute and am good friends with my service advisor and still has the mfg reps number on speedy. He called me. It will get taken care of. If it gets LL'd, oh well. I've seen it happen to nicer cars. 

In the 344 miles that I have logged the truck feels nimble, quiet and plenty strong. From a stop it has the same feel as an early LS truck, like 1999-2003. It scoots along and pulls with a VERY flat torque curve. It's definitely an engine that needs to be in a 2500lb car. Brakes are monstrous, fuel economy was at 20.2 and had not filled it up from the first fill yet. I expect it to go up. 

rob_lewis said:

Updates on Monday.

I'm sure you already did, but check the owners manual.  Bought my '14 Sierra new, 80 miles home, next morning I hooked up my trailer (small 6x12 cargo) and drove 200 miles to Houston.  That night, while chilling at the hotel, I read the owners manual.  It said "no towing for the first 500 miles".  Ooops.  Luckily, never had an issue with the truck, but it might be worth covering your bases before you head to the dealer.

-Rob

I haven't towed with it, or hauled anything more than my butt, a lunch box and my wife for a trip around the block. 

That's what kinda make me grumble. I had treated it like a break in period car. That sumbits gonna get the full John Farce treatment when it gets back. I got a warranty and I ain't afraid to use it!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/21 9:29 p.m.

According to my new besties at the Chebbydae dealer it is the ECU. One is on order. In place of the $40k investment I get to drive an Enterprise supplied 2020 Malibu with 45k on it and the strong lingering odor if skunk weed. Imma have my peepo come over and blaze up with the good good just to balance it out. 

Thw only concern is the semiconductor shortage and wether there really is an ECU in the system. You see the 2.7t utilizes a cylinder deactivation system and the ECUs on all GM trucks are having a supply AND quality issue.

30 days is a probability. If it gets Lemon Lawed, which I do not want, GM will put me into a similar trick and pay for any extras like the GAP and Extended Warranty per the representative for my specific situation. I stated I would be okay if the replacement truck was supplied with a 6.2L. He said "I am certain you would be!" 

To be clear, I did work in the GM service industry for a minute and am good friends with my service advisor and still has the mfg reps number on speedy. He called me. It will get taken care of. If it gets LL'd, oh well. I've seen it happen to nicer cars. 

In the 344 miles that I have logged the truck feels nimble, quiet and plenty strong. From a stop it has the same feel as an early LS truck, like 1999-2003. It scoots along and pulls with a VERY flat torque curve. It's definitely an engine that needs to be in a 2500lb car. Brakes are monstrous, fuel economy was at 20.2 and had not filled it up from the first fill yet. I expect it to go up. 

I'm glad you have a positive attitude about it instead of "all chevys are crap forever."

I think you just got a fluke.  It sucks and it seems like you're doing all the right things.  Keep us posted.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
3/30/21 8:28 a.m.

I haven't towed with it, or hauled anything more than my butt, a lunch box and my wife for a trip around the block. 

That's what kinda make me grumble. I had treated it like a break in period car. That sumbits gonna get the full John Farce treatment when it gets back. I got a warranty and I ain't afraid to use it!

My apologies, I realize now that the "1 tow" meant back to the dealer.  I thought you were saying you only towed with it once in the first 350 miles.

I agree with Curtis.  Sounds uncommon and it sounds like they're going to try to make it right.  Glad you haven't sworn off Chevy's for now.

-Rob

It's baaaaaack. 

I credit Christa Morgan at Heritage Chevrolet for being the full on (and in the nicest way possible) bitch that she is. Part next day aired out of Atlanta installed, programmed, tested and keys in my hands by 12:30 today. 

Runs just like it did the day I test drove it. 

We will see how it turns out, but until then I'll keep on truckin' devil

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/30/21 12:27 p.m.

In the inimitable words of Cledus Snow "Well, STAND on it son!"

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/21 4:12 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Sexy truck, John.  Are you going to invite me in and show me the bed?

I think it's important to know first it you intend to be wearing GRM underwear.

Not for long, giggity.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/21 4:16 p.m.

A 4-cyl with cylinder deactivation? Truth?

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
3/30/21 5:42 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, it deactivates 4 cylinders. Then GM replaces the ECU apparently. 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/21 5:58 p.m.

It's definitely an engine that needs to be in a 2500lb car. 

Considerably more than 2500 lbs, but it is in the new CT4-V, IIRC.

Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, it deactivates 4 cylinders. Then GM replaces the ECU apparently. 

He's right you know

psteav (Forum Supporter) said:

It's definitely an engine that needs to be in a 2500lb car. 

Considerably more than 2500 lbs, but it is in the new CT4-V, IIRC.

I can't wait for that CT4-V tune to become available devil

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
3/30/21 7:41 p.m.

Very nice truck. I'm glad it was a simple fix. Having driven some insanely torquey 4 cylinders, I always thought that one set up for a truck could be a nice all around package. 

It is surreal. The truck is huge, cavernous really. It is so light on its feet. I would love to get it down 2/3 inches front to back and put a set of the factory 22 or 24" wheels for summer duty. It's not an option for a few reasons mainly because of losing its work truck nature and cost incurred. It's a really nimble truck for 4700lb

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5JzwXAxuhPHjJHaderOszvO81OL2h4bAyQ4lRlb2HbpQawOLMed7DhDvF6YEOVpg