1 2 3 4
Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 1:29 p.m.

Keep in mind, however, while the CV swap is much better than the straight axle or TIB, it won't turn your truck into a racecar.  It just isn't that good.     

It is miles ahead of 1960s technology, however.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 1:31 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

There really is no reason to use a template.

If you can measure, you can do this swap.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/25/20 1:38 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to 03Panther :

There really is no reason to use a template.

If you can measure, you can do this swap.

I’ve only driven the panthers. Have not done surgeries on / with one yet. I do know the cross member has a good rep. I do know it’s very easy. I do know writups have mentioned the template helps. I haven’t personally experienced either with or without. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/25/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

What is the 1967 frame you mentioned swapping out the straight axle?

i know the widths and crossmember locations on the fords vary from series to series. But what I’ve read say it’s definitely the way to go, and easy for any f1(2,3, etc. ) and up. 47 down is kinda narrow to look ok under fenders. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/25/20 1:47 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Does it make sense to want to dump the motor (and I assume trans at that point) and the rear axle and the body?  You've got a frame and front suspension at that point, right?  

I've wondered how decent the front suspension is.  It seems like these might be good for front knuckle donors for various projects.

I’ve heard good things about the 03 up, but have not worked on one myself. Mine would have to need parts first!

Haven't heard of anyone that used just the knuckles yet. The whole bolt on Aluminum crossmember seems to be the easy button!

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 1:50 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

F100.

Here is the green '61 Unibody's chassis with the CV IFS.  This photo is from 2009; no templates back then.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 1:52 p.m.

The track width is a bit difficult under the Slicks.  You will likely need custom offset front wheels if you are going for a traditional look.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/25/20 2:40 p.m.

I don't have any direct links, but I know there have been a number of discussions on the Ford Truck Enthuisast board about Crown Vic swaps - you could go to the main page and then use the search function, some assembly discussions with details and photos should turn up.  https://www.ford-trucks.com

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/25/20 4:19 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to 03Panther :

F100.

Here is the green '61 Unibody's chassis with the CV IFS.  This photo is from 2009; no templates back then.

The first Vic conversion a f100 was a 65 Junk (aka mike lusks) did back in 99. ‘Course no al. bolt on at the time, but Junk tended to be ahead of trends!

the twin I beam came out in 65. Did ford continue straight axles in some trucks? I know the vans were till 68 or so. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 4:45 p.m.

I miss typed on the original front suspension.  That '67 was a TIB.

The Crown Vic swap commonly refers to the '03 and up setup.  And I was specifically referring to early swaps in a Unibody.  I'm sure earlier Panther suspension was welded under Ford trucks well into the '80s.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/20 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Pretty sure I know that truck and its owner. Never knew it had CV guts. Damned if I can remember his name, though. Small world.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 5:04 p.m.

His name is Jim. He buys storage units and sells on eBay.   Goes by FoMoCoPower on the forums.  

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 5:05 p.m.

I also think it may be a '60, and not a '61.   I keep mixing up the exact year.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/20 5:06 p.m.

Yup. That's his handle.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 5:20 p.m.

Just the front suspension is CV.  Was running a 347 last I remember.   I know he picked up a couple Coyote engines, but I think he ended up selling one and was going to put the other into his '71 Ford Gator tribute.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/25/20 7:12 p.m.
Cooter said:

I miss typed on the original front suspension.  That '67 was a TIB.

The Crown Vic swap commonly refers to the '03 and up setup.  And I was specifically referring to early swaps in a Unibody.  I'm sure earlier Panther suspension was welded under Ford trucks well into the '80s.

The first Vic conversion a f100 was a 65 Junk (aka mike lusks) did back in 99. ‘Course no al. bolt on at the time, but Junk tended to be ahead of trends!

I typed too fast. Hey, been up two days trying to start a challenge build! Meant to type first swap I saw done... did not mean to sound pretentious!

I was pretty sure all the 67's were TIB; but you seemed sure as well. Thanks.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/25/20 7:39 p.m.

I had been wondering if anyone had used CV front end parts to convert a GM G-body over to get a Ford bolt pattern with larger discs (and maybe there's some junkyard upgrades with this path as well?), rack and pinion steering, and generally better geometry.  The Ford bolt pattern is nice to make it a match for an 8.8 rear axle swap.  My thinking is that the track width is off enough between the two chassis that this might get pretty involved if more than just the knuckles were used.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/25/20 9:07 p.m.

I've had three, a first year of Panther production 79 LTD that I drove for 14 years, a 93, and a 95 p71. I drove them for a total of almost 20 years.

My wife was driving the 93 when she was hit head on, and walked away uninjured.

All three cars got at least 20 miles per gallon, the best tank was 27 out of the 93, and 25 was pretty routine from the 95, despite the 3.55 rear end.

The 20 miles per gallon from the 79 was despite having a c4 transmission and a carburetor.

I'd buy another one tomorrow if I could justify it. Since we have two drivers and five vehicles, and we're about to buy a house, I think I'd be in trouble.

If I was going to buy one on the west coast of Florida, I'd go to Tampa machinery auction. That's where I bought my 95 detective's car. 

https://tmauction.co/

Edit: now I really want one again. Eaton blower and a T56, please.

I shouldn't have opened this thread.

And Tampa machinery auction is open to the public, or at least it was back when I lived over there. Since they sell a lot of municipal and utility company vehicles, I understand that they're required to be open to the public.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/25/20 11:04 p.m.
Cooter said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

My original thought was bringing an F150 to the challenge but the twin I-beam, while rugged the North Cascades, is crap for handling. 

The IRS is an idle thought, while the rest is more an actual plan.

I suspected that is where this thread was going.

There is no point in swapping the whole chassis under an F series.   Just swap the front suspension from an '03 and up onto your existing chassis.    That is where the CV swap originally started.  The width of the front cross member is close enough to the width of the F series frame for a comparatively easy swap to get rid of the straight axle from earlier Ford trucks.    Then people started to swap out the Twin I Beam in later trucks, as the front frame widths are really close.

I did think about just the front crossmember, but I figured the rear suspension would benefit from having the CV unit as well.  This wouldn't be used as a truck at all, other than maybe carrying whatever I needed for a track day in the bed, so I wouldn't miss the bed.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 11:41 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Naw, it would be cheaper and easier to just swap the front, and then convert the rear to the Cobra IRS at that point.  Otherwise, I really don't see much gain in going to the Vic rear suspension, as you would have to upgrade it all anyway.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/25/20 11:51 p.m.

Fair enough.  If it is a Challenge vehicle it might be simpler and cheaper to do it that way as well.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 11:51 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

The CV isn't all that much better to put up with all the issues to make it work under a G body.  Especially since there are so many upgrades available for the G-body to begin with.   It's just too wide, for one.  And the CV has its own geometry issues.  I really see its main benefit as being a decent and fairly easy swap to get IFS under a truck.    I have plans to use it under both my Travelette and Ramcharger, as both are 4wd presently.  But even under these ladder frame vehicles, there will be some issues, mainly frame width and/or shape.

Heck, someone was really trying to force the CV front end under a Volare (or Aspen), and it wasn't worth the issues to replace that (arguably) horrible front end.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/25/20 11:53 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The multi link rear is actually pretty decent, and I can confirm the ease of shortening the wheel base. The 8.8 is a tough axle too, with lots of gearing options and factory available LSD. Absolute blast to hoon around in one with heavy sway bars and 4.10 gearing. Swap in a black plastic grill and steel wheels for extra stealth. 
I don't care for the 4.6, but it's not bad with a manual swap. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 11:53 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Fair enough.  If it is a Challenge vehicle it might be simpler and cheaper to do it that way as well.

Exactly.   And then after the Challenge, you can upgrade above beyond.  It's a tried and true path that many have followed.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/25/20 11:59 p.m.

If it were me, I would hit a Pick N Pull to score a complete CV front end, then grab an Exploder 8.8 with either 4.10s or 3.73s and a limited slip and toss that under the back (actually over the springs, though).  Match wheel offsets to fit the truck.  Tweak swaybars and rear leaves to taste,  And run it.   

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gafPFouJwE5XaKlwPPyGXIpeJq4kQt8O7WQ6b1RNQCPuoDctDotKfKH4wBAxSHKA