1 2 3
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/6/15 12:05 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I'm not so sure about that... I vaguely recall a recent auction for a F40 getting mighty close to 7 figures. Now that may have been a particularly clean and low mileage example, but in reality, Ferrari didn't make many F40's.

If money were no object, I'd buy a McLaren F1.

The Ferrari I actually want (and has a slim chance of being attainable) is a 550 Maranello.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 12:07 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Also the F50 is way prettier. You guys are all wrong.
Sorry, this thread hasn't turned out like you expected. But you are, in fact, completely wrong on this one. F40 > F50

No expectations on the cars themselves. Their looks are obviously entirely subjective. To that end, I am right about the looks and you are wrong.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/6/15 12:40 p.m.

The F40 was built with Purpose - it's a Group B homologation vehicle, with all of the quirks and insufficiencies that entails. It's "real".

The F50 is just another piece of automotive jewelry. It performs but its main purpose in life is to be the automotive equivalent of gold chains.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/6/15 12:57 p.m.

They made 1,311 of them. That's not exclusive, that's demand.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/6/15 1:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The F40 was built with Purpose - it's a Group B homologation vehicle, with all of the quirks and insufficiencies that entails. It's "real". The F50 is just another piece of automotive jewelry. It performs but its main purpose in life is to be the automotive equivalent of gold chains.

I have heard that variation a few times over, but the truth is that I can't see where that is based in fact. The only fact is that the F40 is faster. Sure. a V6 auto Camry is faster than a XKE, but it doesn't mean that it's better.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/6/15 1:06 p.m.

IMO the F40 was a downgrade from the 288 GTO in styling, it also had that Group B Turbo that was meant for AWD cars which made the F40 one of the most dangerous cars to drive and useless in the wet. The F50 wasn't my style but has one of the best sounding V12s you will ever here in a tunnel. If you happen to be on a track with any of said cars you would be beaten by a 360CS. http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/fiorano.html

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/6/15 1:49 p.m.

They are both kinda homely, I'm afraid. Penis extensions for the upper crust.

Not that I'd turn one down, you see. At 54, I'm not sure what I'd do with penis extension, but I could explore possibilities, I guess.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
5/6/15 3:12 p.m.
svxsti wrote: If you happen to be on a track with any of said cars you would be beaten by a 360CS. http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/fiorano.html

Tire tech has come a long way since 1987 -- I wonder how much less spread there would be in those lap times if all the cars were on modern rubber.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/6/15 3:14 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Also the F50 is way prettier. You guys are all wrong.

This statement is so ridiculous that I can't even take it seriously.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/6/15 3:28 p.m.

I think the F50 looks like a cross-eyed praying mantis. I still remember the C&D article on the F40---- they called it a nervous breakdown on wheels--- and they loved it because of that. The F40 ins't a graceful design, but it is purposeful, and looks like it means business.

I got stuck in traffic once next to an F50 (in Monterey-- where else!) The car wasn't happy dealing with traffic, but all the popping, hissing, and cracking coming from the exhaust sure made me giggle. Still one of the ugliest modern Ferraris though--- besides the new California, which I find REALLY ugly.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
5/6/15 4:42 p.m.

Theyre just different, like asking what's better n/a vs boost. I like both quite a lot. The f50 would be an epic car, so would the f40. I would build something for that money, thats why im here. If i hit the lottery, neither would be in my garage before a macca f1.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/6/15 5:33 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
svxsti wrote: If you happen to be on a track with any of said cars you would be beaten by a 360CS. http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/fiorano.html
Tire tech has come a long way since 1987 -- I wonder how much less spread there would be in those lap times if all the cars were on modern rubber.

Very good point and would be interesting to see what the Corsa System would do on the old cars, but for the millions you'd pay over a 360CS I think the point would be moot lol.

Will
Will SuperDork
5/6/15 10:23 p.m.

Somewhere between the F40 and F50, Ferrari became more interested in making fast cars than beautiful ones.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/6/15 10:31 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Theyre just different, like asking what's better n/a vs boost. I like both quite a lot. The f50 would be an epic car, so would the f40. I would build something for that money, thats why im here. If i hit the lottery, neither would be in my garage before a macca f1.

If I hit the lottery the first thing I'm looking for is an F40, That was, and always will be THE car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/6/15 10:35 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: If one of each was sitting in front of me and I could drive only one of them it would be the F40. P.S. if money was no object and I could have any car in the world it would be a 288 GTO.

Agree. Would do terrible things for a 288.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/7/15 12:41 a.m.

When I was a youngster, I thought that the F50 looked better than the F40. Now, I think the F40 looks much better. Something about the F50 headlight position with the vents shape look waaaaay off.

In reply to Ian F: The 550 Maranello seems to be the forgotten modern Ferrari. Jeremy Clarkson made a great comparison about how the C6 Z06 is almost as good as the 550 Maranello on Top Gear.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
5/7/15 12:41 a.m.

The 288 is gorgeous, but more understated than the brutish F40. The F40 gets the angular 80's look just right.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
5/7/15 2:42 a.m.

Seeing the two side by side last year was pretty amazing. The F40 just has so much presence. Its style makes it always the elephant in the room.

Though, the F50 GT1 is a lot more menacing than the targa. I'm not as much of a fan of the line that becomes the regular F50's wing.

Edit: I didn't realize that I witnessed one of 3 GT1s made. That's a rare bird.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/7/15 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Mitchell: Don't you mean a rare horse?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/15 8:45 a.m.

If we are talking F40 vs F50 GT1 the decision gets much harder but I would still have to go with the F40. Being a teenager when it and the 959 came has a lot to do with that decision though.

kb58
kb58 Dork
5/7/15 9:24 a.m.

I'll just leave this here. This should be next to the word "raw" in the dictionary. I have this saved off just to play occassionally for the magnificent sound - which you must play loud! F40 LM

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/7/15 9:30 a.m.
kb58 wrote: I'll just leave this here. This should be next to the definition of the word "raw" in the dictionary. What a wonderful engine sound. F40 LM

OK yeah that sounds amazing.

Apparently there is a guy who brings his F40LM to our local C&C but I haven't yet seen it.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/7/15 9:35 a.m.

But this doesn't exactly sound terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxsEqRvB4Fc

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/7/15 9:37 a.m.

I prefer the sound of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQO6bj5y4Js

Anyway. And fuel cars are even better, but youtube doesn't come close to doing them justice.

Anyway, as far as sound goes, F40 and F50 = different but tie.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/15 9:42 a.m.
kb58 wrote: I'll just leave this here. This should be next to the word "raw" in the dictionary. I have this saved off just to play occassionally for the magnificent sound - which you must play loud! F40 LM

I get the sense that no mortal driver could ever get 100% out of that car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EfnbFMY3c0J47liivFWEWIQ5t5SgC8mNTQDYlNCgWEw8avgXccKFP4ouhSAMcEDt