racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/30/24 1:15 p.m.

Talking to my mom the other day, and found out the Freestyle she bought about two years ago had a rear tire that was smaller than the others.  My uncle noticed quite a bit of cord showing as they were coming out from his doctors appointment.  A bit disconcerting, considering she drives that thing all over the state.

She has a new tire on there now, but I know a lot of AWD systems don't like having two different sized tires on the same axle.  I know the Volvo XC90 told you in the manual to replace both tire on an axle.

Anything I should look or listen for next time I go visit?

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/30/24 2:33 p.m.

I agree with Volvo's position .  I've always worked under the assumption that the corresponding left/right tires should be the same size on an AWD vechicle.  Even to the extent that replacing one bad tire with a new one that might be taller because of wear... so replace both on that axle.

Gordon 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/30/24 8:48 p.m.

The newer ones are far less concerned about it.

And by newer, I mean a Haldex built after 2002.  The older ones used a clutch, but the newer ones are much smarter.

Yes, ideally the tires are the same size all around.  I would argue, if the remaining three are 50% worn, the Haldex has less stress with only one new one, because two new ones will double the ratio difference.  Rear diff is open  so no clutch to wear there.

I also think new tires on the front will make the computer happier, because it's looking for fronts going faster than rears to apply the awd.  Bigger tires will be rotating slower.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
8/30/24 9:08 p.m.

My recollection is that the Freestyle has the Volvo haldex system. The freestyles platform is a Volvo too.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/30/24 9:43 p.m.

I have a weird thing for Freestyles. Really weird how much I kinda like them. And I have no idea why. 

So they are a Volvo haldex system a la the XC90 eh. That makes me like them that much more. How has this one treated her?

Sorry for the thread creep! Feel free to ignore.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/30/24 9:49 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

The Ford power take off is not as robust as the Volvo angle drive.  Driveshaft back, they are pretty much identical.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/31/24 7:47 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Yeah, for some reason the Freestyle, and especially the Flex, really intrigue me.

She had one she bought new before this one that went over 300k.  It had some sort of problem about four years ago, so she parked it because her local mechanic was backed up with all the supply chain issues going on at the time.

Then she found this current one with about 120k on it for a really good price.  She's put about 30k on this one in two years, and it's been very reliable so far.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/31/24 12:36 p.m.

Good to know. I think they have a CVT that has scared me off.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
8/31/24 8:48 p.m.

The Taurus X update of the Freestyle had a regular auto.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/3/24 8:07 a.m.

I had a Freestyle, and really liked it pre-minivan. The stadium seating is neat, and they drive like a wagon. The CVT died on us, and it was sad that they didn't have any replacement parts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7pXrtoAKshfHMukku68p8N9JMA7rNuz8bjHG0M8VCywBQ8839TngvxBb66MXsqJg