1 2 3 4
Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
4/27/14 4:53 p.m.

What all would I have to change to do that? Would I need any new fittings or lines?

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
4/28/14 9:43 p.m.

OK, I've got the cash and enough minor issues to get the price down a bit...

about that 93 Cobra master cylinder conversion: I need a walkthrough (just in case)

I wanna me a T-Bird TC.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
4/28/14 10:52 p.m.

basically you pull the whole teves unit, replace it with a cobra master cylinder and booster, from a 93 cobra mustang. the lines will need new ends, but theres enough material there to cut/bend/reflair. you can't use the current prop valve in the frame, as TC's are factory set up with 3 zones in the ABS, front left, front right, and rear. youll need to merge the front two into one feed line.

-J0N

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/4/14 12:10 p.m.

I can get it for $700, due to the brake issue and some cosmetics, mostly interior being taken apart to remove stereo. All the pieces are still there, just in the rear footwell. No dents, just been skuffed for a recoat of paint.

Will
Will SuperDork
5/4/14 5:13 p.m.

I would buy the hell out of a $700 TC.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
5/4/14 5:24 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: basically you pull the whole teves unit, replace it with a cobra master cylinder and booster, from a 93 cobra mustang. the lines will need new ends, but theres enough material there to cut/bend/reflair. you can't use the current prop valve in the frame, as TC's are factory set up with 3 zones in the ABS, front left, front right, and rear. youll need to merge the front two into one feed line. -J0N

Sounds like what I did with my blue LSC. I didn't realize Turbo Coupes had the Teves system.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/87-lincoln-mark-vii-lsc/54650/page6/

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/4/14 5:27 p.m.

yep. same deal. and yes, i'd totally grab the bitch for $700...

-J0N

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
5/4/14 6:11 p.m.

I concur, pull the trigger!

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
5/4/14 6:11 p.m.

Then take lots of pictures and start a build thread!

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/4/14 6:38 p.m.

^ That is the plan ;)

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/9/14 11:12 a.m.

Car is mine. One Q: on newer cars, you can read the "trouble" lights via plugging into the computer. Is this the same with the 88 TC? If so, would I be able to pinpoint the brake light reason via this method?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
5/9/14 11:54 a.m.

The fluid is low, or your emergency brake sensor is thinking the brake is on. Make sure the float in the master isn't stuck.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/10/14 1:57 p.m.

^ Thanks, things to check.

I took the car for a spin last night. Got the boost up to 10-12 PSI, seems to work just fine. Brakes most def need looked at. And there's a vibration above 40 MPH. I think that the fact directional Toyos are mismatched in directions (a right and left seem crossed)

The tires being on the wrong side, as well as the vibration and brake issues are going to make me do what I should do anyway... Monday I am putting it up on stands, removing the wheels on all four corners, and do a thorough old school nut-n-bolt check. Just like I used to do a few times a day on every race weekend. This should flush out anything that needs attention, and (if I remember to take pics) be a great jump off point for my Builds and Project Cars thread.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/14 2:13 p.m.

Awesome! Looking forward to the build thread.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/13/14 9:12 a.m.

Had a bit of a snafu yesterday... seems that a locking lugnut broke way down at the base. Took me a couple hours to drill out the stud, which now I have to replace after work tomorrow... then I can get onto the first mission: make brakes work.

One more little issue I noticed: where is the fuse box on these things???

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
5/13/14 9:25 a.m.

Drill studs out?!?!?! Hammer and punch them out!

Fuse box is under the dash to the left of the steering column.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
5/13/14 10:40 a.m.

or just buy a rotor with new ones, unless the rest of it is already nice.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/14/14 8:52 a.m.

HAD to drill it out, as you cannot hammer or press a stud out with a lugnut on it. PITA, as the wheel would not come off, stupid brittle chrome locking lug.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/15/14 12:16 a.m.

Ok... I NEED to know ASAP...

Would absolutely no brake fluid to the rear brakes be an ABS related issue? And would the Mustang Cobra swap fix this? Or is there something else horribly wrong?

Reason is I am working two shifts a day, and the Geeyota's valvetrain is floating around in little bits throughout the valvecover. So, the TC has been pressed into service effective immediately.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/14 12:28 a.m.

No fluid to the rear brakes at all could be an ABS issue. All the fluid runs through the pump and the proportioning block. The rear output might be plugged or have a leak.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/15/14 1:10 a.m.

So, should I try to pinpoint the issue or do the Cobra swap?

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
5/15/14 1:25 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: What's the max boost you can run those Birds to? I think the 2.3 4 cylinder can handle some pretty high boost pressures right?

Friend had one with ~330whp with a rebuilt T3 turbo from a 80s 300ZX and intercooler. I don't recall his boost but there are some epic 2.3l builds out there.

This was when i was in senior year of high school so that's about 13 years ago.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/15/14 9:27 a.m.

So, instead of ordering the swap over parts today, after work I will disconnect the lines from the proportioning block to see if anything comes out there, then going into it to see if anything is flowing there...

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/16/14 10:26 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: basically you pull the whole teves unit, replace it with a cobra master cylinder and booster, from a 93 cobra mustang. the lines will need new ends, but theres enough material there to cut/bend/reflair. you can't use the current prop valve in the frame, as TC's are factory set up with 3 zones in the ABS, front left, front right, and rear. youll need to merge the front two into one feed line. -J0N

Prop valve in the frame? I thought it was mounted directly to the master cylinder?

And is the Cobra R and SVT the same unit? If not, which one do I need?

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
5/16/14 10:37 a.m.

Anyone have advice r.e. online parts sources? I am looking for cheap prices and fast delivery. Aren't we all?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rgz6479jhHLuMbsrE1SLjqnrN8yFtORgcVdiEv8U4ipuo6yDAZzMqHh4jCTpyuvS