Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
1/20/13 9:44 p.m.

Going to comp school for NASA next month. Apparently they require a HANS device to prevent one's head from snapping off.

These things are EXPENSIVE. Yes, my head/neck is worth it, but want to make the right choice.

Which HANS? Are there alternatives? I am 6'4", wear an Arai open face helmet that is apparently predrilled for HANS, and have an Ultrashield containment seat on order if any of those facts make a difference.

Thank you.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
1/20/13 10:08 p.m.

Here is the section from the CCR.

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, carrying an SFI 38.1 certification label, is mandatory for all drivers. References and information can be found in “Appendix D,” section #29.0 of the CCR. Additionally, HANS brand devices with FIA 8858-2002 or FIA 8858-2010 certification labels are acceptable in lieu of SFI 38.1 labels.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
1/20/13 10:38 p.m.

I've been using a HANS brand Sport 1 for about 4 years. Actually, I've worn it a lot and haven't had to use it yet, fortunately.

It's easy to live with, and even with arm restraints on in my sports racer, it's possible to fasten the tethers to the anchors after belting in.

I'm an actual size person, so I was fitted with a 30 degree HANS which gives a bit more chest room. It worked out well, as the sports racer is significantly more reclined than the seat in the M3 I was in at the time.

So - I like the HANS brand stuff - they still have the model 1 in 20+30 for $645.

One other thing - I don't think I've ever seen anyone in wheel-to-wheel racing w/ SCCA or NASA w/ an open face helmet. The impact+fire protection just isn't equal to a full face. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Strong case for full face helmets, visor down.

Another reason I'm full face only w/ the best nomex balaclava I can buy.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/20/13 10:54 p.m.

Check out the NecksGen too

Mental
Mental PowerDork
1/20/13 11:09 p.m.

Used a shared team DeFender with the Wartburg a few years ago. Loved it. After my last deployment spent some of that cash on a HANS from Saferacer (they are usually on sale). The sizing chart on there was pretty spot on and I had to honestly evaluate my seat position to get the correct one.

I'll be honest, I love it. I feel more comfortable with it on, becuase the sholder straps aren't digging in. I don't have the side to side movement, which actually forces me to use my mirrors and contrary to what you might think, gives me better situational awareness. Once I got over the claustorphobic feel of being unable to twist my head, I actuall feel safer and that has made me quicker, as I have one less thing to worry about.

They are quite pricey, but occasionaly they go up for sale in the fall on eBay when someone is folding up their racing effort. The savings aren't much, but they are there. I shamelessly plug Saferacer. It was a huge investment, but worth it to me.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
1/20/13 11:25 p.m.
motomoron wrote: I've been using a HANS brand Sport 1 for about 4 years. Actually, I've worn it a lot and haven't had to use it yet, fortunately. It's easy to live with, and even with arm restraints on in my sports racer, it's possible to fasten the tethers to the anchors after belting in. I'm an actual size person, so I was fitted with a 30 degree HANS which gives a bit more chest room. It worked out well, as the sports racer is significantly more reclined than the seat in the M3 I was in at the time. So - I like the HANS brand stuff - they still have the model 1 in 20+30 for $645. One other thing - I don't think I've ever seen anyone in wheel-to-wheel racing w/ SCCA or NASA w/ an open face helmet. The impact+fire protection just isn't equal to a full face. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Strong case for full face helmets, visor down.

Venison chili that night

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/20/13 11:30 p.m.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/21/13 7:19 a.m.

I want to pump your helmet up:

You should get a full face! I use a HANS Sport II and it has served me well. The Necksgen would be fine, too, I'm sure. The investment is huge but the potential payoff is huge, too.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
1/21/13 1:16 p.m.

Two more arguments for a full face helmet, both NASA both in a timed event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shg92VqoSYY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6YHGon8emQ

I know one driver very well, but have not met the other yet. They both survived but if they had not had on full face helmets they would have been less likely to have.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/13 1:36 p.m.
Mental wrote: I'll be honest, I love it. I feel more comfortable with it on, becuase the sholder straps aren't digging in. I don't have the side to side movement, which actually forces me to use my mirrors and contrary to what you might think, gives me better situational awareness. Once I got over the claustorphobic feel of being unable to twist my head, I actuall feel safer and that has made me quicker, as I have one less thing to worry about.

yep.

robertcope
robertcope New Reader
1/21/13 2:33 p.m.

I like the Simpson Rage Pro. It's what I wear.

robert

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/21/13 5:23 p.m.

out of curiosity....HANS don't have certifications that expire like harnesses, etc? Do they?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/13 5:30 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

They do now :( Had to get mine re-certified last year. It's good for I think 5 years, but don't quote me on that.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/21/13 6:45 p.m.

just another money grab .....

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/13 6:50 p.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: In reply to irish44j: They do now :( Had to get mine re-certified last year. It's good for I think 5 years, but don't quote me on that.

The re-certification is a lot less expensive than replacing belts or seats, though.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/21/13 6:59 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:

He wasn't the one you needed to worry about, his brother was the real nutjob of the family.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TyeLBoXKznZf0uZsRfWD1buhZyqvM3qEJmAJXKeLt9yZedNMDYHs0kJn05xZyRiY