Caraddict
Caraddict New Reader
4/21/13 11:17 a.m.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1993 Isuzu trooper 5 speed with about 190,000 miles for about 400 dollars. How difficult is it to keep it running. Should I bite. or run away.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/21/13 2:13 p.m.

Which motor?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/21/13 2:30 p.m.

Jensenman? Paging jensenman to the blue courtesy phone.

impulsive
impulsive Reader
4/21/13 2:51 p.m.

a 93 Troop would have the 3.2

lots of info here: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine New Reader
4/21/13 4:26 p.m.

Sell it for scrap. Some people swear by them, I just swear at them.

Caraddict
Caraddict New Reader
4/21/13 4:36 p.m.

Might not be worth the trouble then. Read that parts could get expensive.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
4/21/13 4:38 p.m.

Buy it! I just finished a 1,000-mile-long rock crawling trip in my trooper with 20 other troopers. It's been perfect.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
4/21/13 5:21 p.m.

The last two troopers I worked on had some parts that were very hard to find and a few of the parts were out of this world expensive. Both of the troopers have since been sold for scrap as no one else seemed to want them.

Over all not a bad riding truck but not a lot of parts supports.Good luck.

Paul B

Tom Suddard
4/21/13 6:17 p.m.

Parts are easy to find and reasonably priced from "JLemond" on planetisuzoo. He's a great guy that can get anything and everything for you.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/21/13 9:31 p.m.

I think those are great vehicles and i would go for it.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
4/21/13 10:31 p.m.

My experience was from a DD point, the owners need to be at work today, good info in case I have another customer that comes in with one.

Tom Suddard wrote: Parts are easy to find and reasonably priced from "JLemond" on planetisuzoo. He's a great guy that can get anything and everything for you.
Tom Suddard
4/21/13 10:38 p.m.

Yeah, that's the only thing. All of his parts beat or match Autozone prices and come new in the factory isuzu wrapping.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/22/13 7:21 a.m.

'92 was the first year for the 'big' Trooper and has the Isuzu designed 3.2 V6, it has a lot more bells and whistles than the earlier ones like Tommy's. There's two different V6's, the SOHC and the DOHC. Both are good motors but the DOHC has more grunt, that engine came only in the LS versions. Either way for $400 grab it and growl.

Mechanical stuff is readily available, trim parts (badges etc) might be tough to find.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l9fybMtGoxxSKYzSGwrdqM6IstOhYXr1aUl62ZtBmlkZDOErcsFcmT4l7tqbyq1c