1 2
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/27/21 7:04 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

OK, so how are the 4.6 engines?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/brookfield-2006-mustang-gt/7370897340.html

The red on red combo is.. a bold choice.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/27/21 7:26 a.m.

LOL, we'll have to come up with a good name for it.

What was Dolly's name in the Best little whorehouse in Texas??

The plan right now is to go check it out after Radwood on Saturday. Bringing the XR down for the show. Makes me wonder if even at a 80's / 90's show, if it will be the only one there?

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
8/28/21 5:19 p.m.

So checked the car out today. Seems to be everything he stated and didn’t seem to be trying hide anything.

The paint has some issues but it has some miles on it so I’m not surprised by that and he did warm me about it. The drivers door card needs some TLC. Drive fine but I think my V8 swapped Merkur is peppier but the Mustang drives some much more civilized.

Can anyone run the vin on this?

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
8/28/21 5:20 p.m.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/28/21 5:28 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to GPz11 (Forum Supporter) :

A dealer is trying to sell a car like that???  Wow.  $100 on cleaning it, and it would at least hide whatever that is.

If they took another couple of thousands off so that you can replace all of the interior, maybe.  But I'm astounded that a dealer would try to sell anything in that condition.

They should have their arse kicked.  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/29/21 8:37 a.m.

Ah, the door trim panel.

A notorious problem on the S197. I too have lived through repairing those, and it's not as simple as you think. I did a video on how to fix those. It's early in my YT career so it's rough around the edges and with the editing but here ya go: S197 Door Panel Fix

My only addendum would be to use a thin coating of Gorilla Glue on the very edge to keep it from lifting. Because GG expands when it dries it isn't suitable for adhering the vinyl to the door. The edges always fail first and my first repair has let go around the edge again...after about 3 years. Still better than my first attempt way before that video that didn't make it a year.

Or, if you're not sold on the whorehouse red insert, get a pair of door cards from a base model that don't have the upholstery pieces in them and get on with life.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/29/21 9:10 a.m.

Those are good cars. I miss mine. I may pick up another when the used car market gets a bit more normal. 

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
8/29/21 1:01 p.m.

Yeah, we're probably going to do a thing next weekend.

laugh

I'm thinking light tint on the windows, apple carplay head unit and get the paint touched up.

Supposed to also come with spare wheels and some other bits too.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/30/21 7:21 a.m.

I love my V6. It's a keeper. Modern enough to be...modern but without all the Sync and other garbage of the newer models (Get off my lawn!).  I don't need a daily to smoke the tires at every light. It's just a good car that is wonderful to look at.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/21 5:30 a.m.
ddavidv said:

I love my V6. It's a keeper. Modern enough to be...modern but without all the Sync and other garbage of the newer models (Get off my lawn!).  I don't need a daily to smoke the tires at every light. It's just a good car that is wonderful to look at.

It would be fair to say that we love ours, too.  I didn't expect to like it so much, or to have so much fun with it on track.  But it's been a great toy so far . . .

I'd like to get the grille with the driving lights because the front end of the V6s looks a little dull.  And I'd like to find a sublte lip for the front bumper.  Nothing splitter-ish -- we still need to naviage tthe cottage road.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/31/21 6:48 a.m.

Mine is a Pony Package, so I already have a grille with lights. Unfortunately, you'll pay dearly for a PP setup. American Muscle sells a faux GT grille conversion that fits the V6 front bumper opening (yes, they are different). It requires relocating the horn slightly and some light trimming on the core support from what I understand.

The front lip spoiler I think is a CDC, also sold by AM. Easy peasy to install with push pins after you drill a half dozen or so holes where nobody will ever see them. I think it's just the right amount of 'lip'. The other 90% are all too racer wannabe IMO.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/31/21 6:58 a.m.

I also had a dual exhaust setup installed, mostly for cosmetic reasons. It also helped that I didn't have to pay for it as my car was used as the star of AM's installation videos. yes  Though they cut the V6 bumper nicely to fit the other pipe the cover had been repainted and was peeling. And I happened to work at a body shop at the time, so... GT rear cover FTW.  I can never remember what brand it is (I think it's Flowmaster) and while it sounds good, there is a fair amount of 'boom' in the interior with the windows up. I picked up a pair of GT mufflers to try. I'm of the opinion any performance gains are more perceived than real. I also couldn't detect much of a change from using the canned 93 octane tune I got with the tuner.

The license plate used to be on my track BMW. Yes, it's a bit arrogant on this thing because I've only tracked it once out of curiosity. It did really well, up to the point it cracked the plastic thermostat housing. frown

Having a company car and the troublesome Lightning, I only put about 1300 miles on it last year. Having applied for an 'inside' work from home job that would take away the fleet Fusion we'll see if I get to drive it more in the future.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/1/21 4:05 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

That is a good looking front spoiler -- I'll take a look.  We already have some sort of Ford performance exhaust with twin outlets . . 

seadoorider
seadoorider New Reader
9/2/21 11:38 a.m.

I really like my wife’s 3.7 car. So much so that we rebuilt it following a deer strike. There are so many parts available for Mustangs that you can really turn the car into whatever you want it to be.

seadoorider
seadoorider New Reader
9/2/21 11:38 a.m.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
9/2/21 7:28 p.m.

OK, we’re going to check this one out this weekend.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Mustang-d2?sourceContext=shareListingEmail#listing=311365300

If we do get it, the rims will be the first things to be replaced.

Going to pass on the one with 130k miles. 

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
9/12/21 10:13 a.m.
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/12/21 10:28 a.m.

Auto? My initial response is a big NOPE, but it'll handle the abuse. I don't know much about them. My guess is you'll be fighting to control the shifts.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/12/21 10:30 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

OK, we’re going to check this one out this weekend.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ford-Mustang-d2?sourceContext=shareListingEmail#listing=311365300

If we do get it, the rims will be the first things to be replaced.

Going to pass on the one with 130k miles. 

I almost spit out my coffee when I saw the wheel offset surprise

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/13/21 6:09 a.m.

The automatics have garnered some reliability complaints.

If you get a tuner you can change up the shift points and make them a lot better.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KLz5fwY7UFMq3TSn9voFIZG7qsZTxmUsmO2DvjKrc9mq4YsmQuyyzT7YlauTR29B