1 2 3
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
4/20/12 10:40 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: So i saw a TurboX on the way home from work last night, strangely. I about peed myself it looks so scary in real life. Pictures don't really do it justice. It's a much more svelte looking car in real life. The pictures make it look really "thick and blocky." It's not. "Sinister" is probably the best word for it.

Is the 4th gen Haldex really that much improved? I had read that the Haldex in the older cars was... crap.

Also I'd wait just maybe one more year so you can snag one for half of what it's currently worth.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/20/12 10:42 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: So i saw a TurboX on the way home from work last night, strangely. I about peed myself it looks so scary in real life. Pictures don't really do it justice. It's a much more svelte looking car in real life. The pictures make it look really "thick and blocky." It's not. "Sinister" is probably the best word for it.
Is the 4th gen Haldex really that much improved? I had read that the Haldex in the older cars was... crap. Also I'd wait just maybe one more year so you can snag one for half of what it's currently worth.

I don't really know much about the Haldex, other than that the magazines that reviewed the Turbo X loved it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/12 1:44 p.m.

Re the MS6 - every review seems to include a complaint about the understeer. Does anybody know if that understeer can be "modded out" to get it to handle in a neutral fashion?

And of course it turns out there was a TurboX for sale not far from here. "Was" being the relevant word here .

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/4/12 1:48 p.m.

Clarkson seemed to be able to get the MS6 to oversteer/drift pretty well when he reviewed it.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
5/4/12 2:00 p.m.

RE: speed6

I installed spc adjustable ball joints on the front (so I can dial in some negative camber). and a stiffer rear sway bar (absolute bitch to install) and it certainly helped.

I could get the car to do some sweet fun and very controllable tail out antics under certain circumstances, however it took a while to learn the timing of it, and it could be hard to do consistently. I get the feeling that I was occasionally fighting the computer controlled center differential. I think the car could be a lot of fun if I could reprogram that sucker.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
5/4/12 2:05 p.m.

Actually I have been thinking about selling it, I have not been driving it all that much since I got my miata...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/4/12 2:24 p.m.
kreb wrote: I'm seeing AWD 225 HP Audi TTs for cheap lately. It kills me that everyone says that they're the ultimate high-maintenance mistress.

They aren't that bad... I built two quite extensively back in the day. I like 'em, besides they are the awd version of a miata.

How come nobody has mentioned an Audi S4? Not only do you get luxury, you get 340hp snarling V8, 6 speed manual, and awd. You can get an Avante if you are so inclined, and last time I checked, low mileage 2004-2005 models were below $20k easily.

Ya, the mpg sucks, but you got to pay to play. You could also go OLDER and find a mint, low mile, turbos replaced V6 twin turbo S4... or even older and step into a URS4 or URS6?

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
5/4/12 2:58 p.m.

No Caddy CTS4 love?

BoxheadTim
5/4/12 3:02 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Probably because I mentioned that I'm not too keen on the smaller Audis? I might consider an URS4 or a URS6, but it's a matter of finding a good one.

We'll see how this plays out, the car budget very much hinges on us buying a house this year or saving for another year or two. If we're buying a house I'll probably try to make do with another crapcan for a year or so, if we decide to either buy a cheaper house or wait, I'll probably get a better car for the winter commute.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/4/12 3:29 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Probably because I mentioned that I'm not too keen on the smaller Audis?

I didn't see that, it was kind of buried in the thread. Audi problems are vastly overrated (same with VW) once you get to around 2002 and newer. Just my opinion, but I know of two 100K+ mile S4's that haven't really had a hiccup.

If you are willing to do the work yourself, most stuff isn't too bad. Of course, anything involving big maintenance/overhaul in the engine bay will suck, not going to lie.

BoxheadTim
5/4/12 5:08 p.m.

I do like some of the larger ones, I might consider an S6 or the original S4. At the end of the day I probably have to do most of the work myself anyway...

And yes, I know how some of the big engine service jobs can suck. I used to own an A8 .

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eMJPrbR4CBQR7mfccXrkagf4JZKNAcr8tX9m4NUW7pkopK83Trxmj0J2SYoFJoG6