jrflying
jrflying New Reader
11/30/17 1:37 p.m.

Does anyone have any experience with these or know of known issues? I'm seeing really low prices for nice examples. I worry about parts availability with Suzuki not selling cars in the US now. 

Thanks Hive

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/30/17 2:20 p.m.

What year? 

Either an elongated Chevy Tracker or the newer version is a chassis mate to the Saturn Vue/Equinox/Cadillac SRX. This newer  version has odd triangular headlights. 

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
11/30/17 2:22 p.m.

Which generation? First or second? the first gen with the 2.7 were good little trucks. Change the oil often and expect to change the main chain tensioner at some point.  I know next to nothing on the second gen other than they were just a Saturn Vue/Chevy Equinox. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/17 2:36 p.m.

They did have a lot of issues with timing chains. 

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
11/30/17 4:46 p.m.

Looking at 2nd gen.  2006 to be exact

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
11/30/17 5:10 p.m.

2006 is still first gen. They're a true body on frame SUV with a toyota style rear diff, IRS front diff and a real transfer case between the two. The 2.7L is a good little motor, but it's a bit stressed in the longer XL-7. Timing chain tensioners are a common failure point. Figure 80k between changing them. 

Engine holds 6.5 qts of oil, and the filter location sucks. It'll drip for weeks after a change even if you use 2 cans of brake cleaner. Interior is a bit narrow compared to a lot of the SUV's of the era. Wide people will rub in the front. Low 20's mpg on the highway below 70mpg. Goes down fast the faster you run. 

Overall, I like them but be prepared to pay $$ for repair parts as they are Suzuki only in most cases. Things like brakes and belts and filters all cross to the Tracker/Grand Vitara. I'd love another Grand Vitara as a winter beater/offroader (normal wheelbase, not the XL7).

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/30/17 5:17 p.m.

If you are attracted to the Gen1 XL-7 for the 3rd row, be warned, it is pretty hypothetical given it's small dimensions.  

For a 3rd row SUV that is usable while still being an odd, quirky and cheap alternative consider the Gen3 '01-'06 Mitsubishi Montero Full Sizer.  Slow, with an underpowered V6 but super capable off-road while still being smooth on the hyw.  

Opti
Opti HalfDork
11/30/17 8:12 p.m.

I maintained a couple a few years ago and parts were a nightmare outside of the most common stuff like brake pads and wear items you can get for every car.

They are not easy to work on.

I would never recommend a suzuki, but the grm crowd is generally a little more creative and may be better equipped to maintain a vehicle from a marque like this

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m4eBt0KQXiw1sBd9XDgUz43qGdD920wMOWDGzKXNwW5rZqIjTfx2fivlJcs4YblY