orphancars
orphancars Reader
11/6/10 4:05 p.m.

So here's the deal..........

I'm working on my TVR and trying to route the exhaust....I'm putting in a Chevy LT1 motor. The initial plan is to run side exhaust because with the LT1, T56, and the custom chassis/cage, there isn't enough room to snake exhaust and mufflers around the drivetrain.

Too much thinking (and perhaps a little too much Red Bull and Mountain Dew Throwback!) gets me to thinking......a turbo would possibly simplify the plumbing for the exhaust. I could use a set of blockhuggers, combine the two sides to a single turbo, then go from turbo outlet to a small muffler (if needed) in the engine compartment, then a short run of pipe dumping just to the rear of the right front tire (got the idea from the Mercedes/McLaren supercar, I think they have a similar arrangement).

Does this sound completely nutty.....or so nutty that it just might work?

Any apparent holes/ZOMG don't-do-its in this thinking??

What would the general physical size be of a turbo (and an intercooler if needed) that would support this application? I'm not looking for huge HP, something that would be somewhat streetable and support ~400 to 450 HP. Engine would turn no more than 6500 RPM.

The only major issue would be where to put an intercooler (would one be needed for my HP goals?) -- I don't have a ton of space up front for a radiator, so an IC plus radiator might be pushing it.......but it might be easier than the custom headers/mufflers that would be needed if I go NA.

Pics coming soon.....

thx,

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/10 5:07 p.m.

The only problem I can see is heat in the engine bay. Having basically the entire exhaust system in the engine bay is going to dump a lot of heat in there. Heat shielding and air flow are going to be of major importance.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
11/6/10 6:35 p.m.

A turbo blanket and some heat wrap goes a long way.

MikeD
MikeD New Reader
11/6/10 6:49 p.m.

think about a rearmount turbo. you can get some space back under the hood, and keep intake temps down without an intercooler (the longer pipes drop intake temps)

think holsets when you think turbos, they are cheap, durable, and compatible

orphancars
orphancars Reader
11/6/10 7:25 p.m.

@Toyman & @DaveEstey - good points -- I've already been doing some research into wraps/blankets/shields. Lucky for me that the TVR has a pretty open front end -- the engine isn't really boxed in and I was thinking of making the non-functional vents in the hood more functional, even opening them up a bit.

@MikeD -- thanks but the design of the chassis and tub preclude any turbo being mounted in the rear.....and I don't have the real estate in the middle of the car for 1 or 2 exhaust tubes, muffler(s) and an intake tube.....which is why I'm considering my options for putting all the junk up front

keep em coming!

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
11/6/10 7:54 p.m.

A turbo can't possibly simplify the exhaust. If you are really after it to simplify, get a tiny muffler and stuff it in the engine compartment and run the exhaust out the fender or whatever like you're talking about.

Turbos are cool, and it's a neat idea, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to make it simpler.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
11/6/10 7:56 p.m.
orphancars wrote: @Toyman & @DaveEstey - good points -- I've already been doing some research into wraps/blankets/shields. Lucky for me that the TVR has a pretty open front end -- the engine isn't really boxed in and I was thinking of making the non-functional vents in the hood more functional, even opening them up a bit. @MikeD -- thanks but the design of the chassis and tub preclude any turbo being mounted in the rear.....and I don't have the real estate in the middle of the car for 1 or 2 exhaust tubes, muffler(s) and an intake tube.....which is why I'm considering my options for putting all the junk up front keep em coming!

I recommend the Tunachuckers approach, Zoomies!

OK, so they're not EXACTLY functional, but they spruce up the look of anything, especially a TVR. Or something.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
11/7/10 7:25 a.m.

Well -- the caffeine might be wearing off.........maybe this isn't exactly the simplest (or simpler) than just running the exhaust out the sides of the car........

@Tuna -- probably not going the zoomies approach........does look cool tho'

Thanks for the short-list of help................y'all are a bunch of enablers.....and at times a voice of clear-headedness when necessary....

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/7/10 8:30 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: A turbo can't possibly simplify the exhaust. If you are really after it to simplify, get a tiny muffler and stuff it in the engine compartment and run the exhaust out the fender or whatever like you're talking about. Turbos are cool, and it's a neat idea, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to make it simpler.

plus eleventy.

EDIT - apparently the plus sign on this board makes a bullet. Grrr....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xdENbF7qJE7goE1dKuz9hsqEcu6A0LRtLejoIcLOyNRtIwElXSBRiFXjiHQc9yAk