1 2 3
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/13 12:48 a.m.

Been looking for something to replace the integra when I put it up for sale in a few weeks. I've found late 70's to late 80's Wranglers for challenge money that seem to be runners or needing little work. Wanting something for occasional trail riding, camping, beach cruising, not much into.rock.crawling or mudding. Besides rust, what should I be aware of? 4 vs 6 cyl? Etc, a winch, light bar, maybe a small lift, is about all I can imagine I would want with one.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
2/18/13 1:45 a.m.

You want a stick with overdrive for sure if you plan on exceeding 55mph, the autos were all 3 speeds and geared for off road. Th AMC 4 and 6 are both excellent.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/13 4:34 a.m.

Can't really go wrong. Buy the best example you can afford. Stay away from the early wranglers with the computer controlled six. What a pile of crap. Also the 87 year has a goofy transfer case. Look up the ba/10 and ba/15. Avoid. Peugeot trans.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/18/13 5:48 a.m.

87's are bad as noted, and you don't want one with the 4.2 liter six with the carb. Other than that, they are generally pretty decent. The four cylinder won't save you any gas money, though, so get the 4.0 six if you can.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/13 6:04 a.m.

Many of the peugeot transmissions have been swapped by now. I think finding a Carter carb is getting a little rarer as it seems most of those have been swapped out for better Weber or Motorcraft carbs. There have been alot of fuel injection conversions on those too. Of course it is still possible to get a Peugeot and Carter, I did.

As somebody above said find the best shape for your budget. I would rather have a carbed 4.2 and a weak transmission with a super clean frame and body than a 4.0 with ax15 that had a patched up frame and holes in the floor covered by license plates. YMMV

For what its worth, pretty much all my jeeps have been "undesirable" with 4 cylinders or carbs or weak transmissions or just being a YJ. But I loved them all!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/13 6:07 a.m.

I wheeled a 4cylinder yj next to v8 and 4.0 ones. I went everywhere they did. Gas mileage was awful, but its a good motor and you don't have to pay for the 4.0 tax.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/18/13 6:57 a.m.

I've owned many a Jeep. The 4-banger was great, rarely did I want for more HP. The "issues" with the 4.2 can be easily remedied by loosing the vacuum lines you don't need, upgrading to a Holley or Motorcraft carb and HEI ignition. Like Logdog said, get the best body and frame possible and enjoy.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/18/13 10:33 a.m.

I worked at a Jeep dealer for six years, have driven them more than once and I could not live with one as a DD. At highway speed it's like being in an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle. For a once in a while toy, sure. If you are not as big a wuss as me, the 4 bangers are underpowered, gimme a 4.0 six cylinder any day.

Also be aware that the cloth top is only there to keep rain from hitting you directly, it will not keep out all of it. It also makes it stinkin' ht in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/18/13 10:40 a.m.

I prefer Levi's myself

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
2/18/13 10:57 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I prefer Levi's myself

501 Shrink to Fits!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/18/13 11:12 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I worked at a Jeep dealer for six years, have driven them more than once and I could not live with one as a DD. At highway speed it's like being in an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle. For a once in a while toy, sure. If you are not as big a wuss as me, the 4 bangers are underpowered, gimme a 4.0 six cylinder any day. Also be aware that the cloth top is only there to keep rain from hitting you directly, it will not keep out all of it. It also makes it stinkin' ht in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.

My, you are a wuss
The top, if properly installed will keep you dry. My last CJ had a hard top and doors as well as a soft top and the two-piece soft doors. I only put the hard top on one winter, the soft top was fine. The last winter I only used the bikini top all winter
All else being equal, get the 6. But, it's much better to get the best body and frame you can.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/18/13 11:18 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: But, it's much better to get the best body and frame you can.

This, because like denim, soak them long enough they fall apart.

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/18/13 12:01 p.m.

Levi's are for the 'in the know' CJ owners: They had Levi Strauss seats... Funny how they switched the model name to Wrangler... never thought of that before... LOL

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/13 2:27 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the heads up guys. Definately looking for the occasional toy here.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
2/18/13 4:00 p.m.

Go with a fuel injected four or six. The four had better diff gearing. I am a big fan of the h.o. 4.0 though. Find an XJ Cherokee Wagoneer and grab the Dana 44 and bolt it right in (as long as you match gearing that is but 4.0 xj and yj should have the same gears). New Bestop tops are great and unless you are my great Aunt, don't worry about the ride, noise or getting the elements on your skin!

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
2/18/13 10:52 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I prefer Levi's myself

There was actually a Levi's edition Wrangler back in the late 70s.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
2/19/13 5:23 a.m.

Is it appropriate to insert that Wrangler (Jeep) started in MY 1987? CJ7 went away in '86. I don't know much about Wrangler jeans. I did however see a Levi's Edition CJ at a JY I used to frequent .

octavious
octavious Reader
2/19/13 7:01 a.m.

My opinion of the 4cyl Jeep and DrBoost's are a little different...I had an 80 CJ5 with the 4cyl Iron Duke motor. It would go wherever you pointed it, and climb everything in between, but it was slow. Not can't get out of its own way slow, but a 70-80's CJ with the 4cyl isn't going to have a lot of pep. I did find that both the 6cyl and the 4cyl will run forever. I had hopes of my 4cyl dying so I could swap in a 6cyl or 8cyl, but it just never happened. And I sold the CJ to a buddy of mine and that 4banger is still going strong. It is really hard to kill a Jeep motor. Just so you know, 70-80's CJs also came with a V8 option as well.

Look for rust, that is what sidelines most CJs. Rust wise make sure the frame is solid. And then check the body. Most typical body places are the fenders and the tub areas closest to the wheel wells. The good is that just about every body part inlcuding new tubs and frames are available for these things. The bad is that a new tub or frame may cost more than you want to put into an old Jeep.

Jeeps are notorious for getting bad gas mileage. A lift and big tires will only make that worse. They came from the factory with the aerodynamics of a brick, so you're better off just understanding that and living with it. However, if you are planning to ad a lift there are some things to consider. Mileage is one. Power is another, with alot of older Jeeps when you start adding lifts and big tires, you loose some power. Most remedy this by regearing the diffs, but again more money spent on an old Jeep.

I've had many Jeeps over the years, and for CJs and TJs (I never had a YJ), and after lifting several, and putting big tires on, I've personnally found 31" tires to be just about the right size for most Jeeps and most applications. The 31" tire looks good, and is still capable of handling about anything you throw at it. Since you said you weren't doing rocks or mud the 31" might be a good size for you too. As a bonus most Jeeps can run a 31" without a lift so you can save those pennies and put them into your winch.

I do miss my old CJ though Photobucket

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/19/13 7:21 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
Is it appropriate to insert that Wrangler (Jeep) started in MY 1987? CJ7 went away in '86. I don't know much about Wrangler jeans. I did however see a Levi's Edition CJ at a JY I used to frequent .

Look up on ebay how much those little Levi buttons on the seats are worth... you will probably kick yourself.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/19/13 7:33 a.m.

In Reply to Octavious: Yeah, the carb'd 4 bangers are slow. EFI really did wake them up. The only carb'd 4 banger Jeep I ever owned was a '46 CJ-2a. I expected that to be slow (and it did NOT disappoint haha).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
2/19/13 11:42 a.m.

I'd take a 4cyl EFI, say mid-90's Wrangler with a swapped in Dana 44 rear with 4.11, 2.5" lift and 31" mud terrain tires and go just about anywhere. Throw in a mini-spool and climb a tree!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/19/13 11:53 a.m.

I am wanting to say the amc xj in my barn has 4.56 gearing.....it used to be a 2.5 Iron Duke, but now has a 4.0L efi from a '93 xj.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
2/19/13 3:08 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I am wanting to say the amc xj in my barn has 4.56 gearing.....it used to be a 2.5 Iron Duke, but now has a 4.0L efi from a '93 xj.

4.11 factory maybe. If its true 4.56 then it's aftermarket and I believe needed new carriers for those

1300zuk
1300zuk New Reader
2/19/13 4:51 p.m.

Jeep knowledge is not strong on this board I see.

Figure out what you want to do with the jeep first then come ask.

Drive to Dairy Queen to get ice cream = any will do

What kind of off roading do you want to do and how far away is it and do you want to trailer it?

1300zuk
1300zuk New Reader
2/19/13 4:52 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I'd take a 4cyl EFI, say mid-90's Wrangler with a swapped in Dana 44 rear with 4.11, 2.5" lift and 31" mud terrain tires and go just about anywhere. Throw in a mini-spool and climb a tree!

No

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QGUtqrKwTnR4Eu2wHUs31c0s1BtUydDH3B3uI37KiInhQeZDNka2YhYDR8XApwfR