1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/26/23 10:43 p.m.

Tomorrow morning—early, tomorrow morning, I might add—I'll be hopping on  a plane and heading for the Bay Area for the first North American Hyundai Driving experience. The day of track activities at Sonoma Raceway will put new owners of Hyundai N cars through the paces with their cars to familiarize them with their capabilities. The experience all leads up to continuous laps in drivers' chosen N cars. I'm excited to be there to see so many people get their first taste of what the new toy they bought can really do. 

If things go according to plan, there should only be two journos on site—myself and one other—and we blend fairly well. It should be a good opp for some honest conversations with owners as to why they're here and not driving a Honda or BMW or Toyota. 

I'll start taking pictures as soon as I see people in Hyundai themed gear trying to hand out tote bags.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/23 12:03 a.m.

I don't think the reps at Hyundai will like the second verse about not being sure when you'll be back again.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/27/23 12:30 a.m.

Here's to not being a cheesy event like the Nissan Altima Commercial of a few years ago.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/23 7:05 a.m.

Was this written by Real JG or by AI JG?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/27/23 7:32 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Real JG, late at night, no editor. Fixed. Also, JG, if they have those tiny sunscreens, bring me one?

wae
wae PowerDork
11/27/23 7:54 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

... It should be a good opp for some honest conversations with owners as to why they're here and not driving a Honda or BMW or Toyota. ...

In for this content!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/23 7:59 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Real JG, late at night, no editor. Fixed. 

Now I'm bummed that I didn't quote the original post in its entirety.

Lesson learned. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/27/23 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Early bird gets to see behind the curtain.

Edit: Also gets to see some weird canoe E36 M3.

JG Pasterjak
11/27/23 8:31 a.m.

Sorry I was writing this while I was on hold with the hotel company where we're staying while we're NOT under Hyundai's care and finding out that my account had been hacked and someone stole all my points and canceled my reservation. Luckily i was able to find an AirBnB in a lovely neighborhood called "Little Murderville." Sounds quaint.

Anyway, I had recently been wondering which of my passwords I needed to update and I guess I found out which one the hard way. But I'm super glad I thught to confirm my reservation the day before we left. If I had waited until we got to downtown San Fran to find out we had no place to stay that would have been awkward. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/27/23 8:38 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

If things go according to plan, there should only be two journos on site—myself and one other—and we blend fairly well. It should be a good opp for some honest conversations with owners as to why they're here and not driving a Honda or BMW or Toyota. 

Ask them which was most grounded to the ground.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/23 9:13 a.m.

I keep waiting for my sponsorship from them after all these years of positive promotion. JG see what you can do about that will you?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/27/23 9:13 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Little Murderville is actually nice–or at least nicer than West Murderville. 

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/23 11:20 a.m.

Let us know if they have the revised '24 Elantra N on-hand at this event.  And update us with pictures of it!  

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/27/23 11:23 a.m.

How did a non-journalist secure entry to this event? I bought one of these cars new and didn't know this was a thing.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/27/23 11:44 a.m.

Back when Hyundai brought out the Genesis V6/Turbo 4 Coupe car I received an invitation to test drive one at Joliet's Autobahn racetrack on a Saturday morning. 

Grabbed the son and we were pumped to arrive and then be directed to the go kart track.  

They had both engines with both transmissions choices and you topped out at 35mph with an instructor in the passenger seat.  I had fun but it was a lot of time spent to go slow.  

JG Pasterjak
11/27/23 12:15 p.m.
fornetti14 said:

Let us know if they have the revised '24 Elantra N on-hand at this event.  And update us with pictures of it!  

I'm reasonably certain that's what I'll be driving for the "experience" portion of the event. I'm excited to see it as well. I could definitely see one of those things getting me to crack my wallet at some point.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
11/27/23 12:21 p.m.

Reading JG's statement about staying in Murderville reaffirms my decision to write contracts for a living.

JG Pasterjak
11/27/23 12:22 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Back when Hyundai brought out the Genesis V6/Turbo 4 Coupe car I received an invitation to test drive one at Joliet's Autobahn racetrack on a Saturday morning. 

Grabbed the son and we were pumped to arrive and then be directed to the go kart track.  

They had both engines with both transmissions choices and you topped out at 35mph with an instructor in the passenger seat.  I had fun but it was a lot of time spent to go slow.  

Yeah I'm curious what the scope of the event actually is. I think this is owners, not prospects, and the pre-event promo teases some sort of HPDE type situation. 

At any rate, it'll be interesting to see how people actually had the event promoted to them and how they ended up here. I really don't know if this all started at a dealer level or corporate or what. 

I do know this is the first event of its type in the US, and is serving as a bit of a pilot for a wider rollout. I know Toyota is still giving out NASA memberships and track days with 86s, so maybe this is Hyundai's way of doing something similar and cutting out the middleman. 

JG Pasterjak
11/28/23 11:09 a.m.

How we liking the '24?

JG Pasterjak
11/28/23 11:19 a.m.

And here's Andrew Kim from Wreck Racing (S-10 era). He bought a bunch of N merch on Hyundai's website, then later randomly got an email inviting him to this event. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/23 11:40 a.m.

That so rules on like every level. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/23 11:40 a.m.

Also, JG, how was breakfast? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/23 12:23 p.m.

Any word on Hyundai's sponsorship for me? I know they've heard my name before.... 

The new 24 looks perfect. Can you maybe convince them we need the i20N here?  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
11/28/23 12:39 p.m.

JG is it truly an N event if they don't bring out this bad boy? 

Also sounds like an interesting experience. Does Honda do stuff like this? I know I got invited to do the Raptor thing in Moab after buying mine but getting out there isn't exactly easy compared to Sonoma. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/28/23 5:18 p.m.

Ioniq 5N or GTFO

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zGdOqluSNM12vRfLk3OzRbzf5SBscM1osPbB6X3Wi3IkrxvkX1Fa2wnpcAMXSPHs