1 2
moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/17/13 5:22 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:

Only on GRM can you see a boat driving on a racetrack with a deer mimicking an Asian Carp trying to jump into the boat.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
6/17/13 5:26 p.m.

It even made it to gawker/jalopnik http://jalopnik.com/watch-a-deer-pay-deer-ly-for-interfering-with-a-lemons-513767144

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
6/17/13 5:31 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: irish, i can't recall seeing your car on track while I was there. Pretty sure I would have noticed fat jesus on the hood and the satellite dish. I see where I snapped a pic of you being passed. Maybe you were pitting during most of the time I was shooting or I just managed to miss you while walking around every time. That is a great hood btw.

I won't take credit for the hood.....one of the other drivers did that one just for LeMons. I painted the "regular" hood (with sponsor stickers, etc) that we'll use for Chump. But yeah, it looked awesome for sure.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
6/17/13 7:27 p.m.

Great...I'm at home now and able to see the pictures you posted, irish. The dweeb holding the fake barbell is me... That's funny. We had a great time with the costumes.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/17/13 7:28 p.m.

That is an amazing screen capture. Yay technology.

It doesn't even look like the Alfa took much damage...

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
6/17/13 8:43 p.m.

The windshield of the Alfa was shattered, as the deer jumped, and the legs hit the windshield, which is what bounced it up and over the top of the boat. Their fix to get back in track involved cutting up their fuel cart and welding it in place of the windshield:

I was driving the boat at the time, and my brain did not fully comprehend what had happened for about 2 seconds after it was over, and then I realized that a deer had just flown over my boat, while on a racetrack. Yup, only at Lemons, which is why I love it.

We had more mechanical problems this weekend than about any other. The Boat was running great early on, but then mostly lost the clutch hydraulics, so we just stuck it in 4th, and could barely pump it up enough to disengage when going past the track entry worker when we had to stop for a clear spot to enter. We bought a new slave cylinder, and in taking it off, the hard line broke, and because GM in their infinite wisdom used a unique bizarre fitting we couldn't just plumb something together, so the fix involved a slave from an 87 S10 2.5, compression fittings, and an adapter plate. Then, just when we were about to get on track about 5 minutes late, the 8 cent piece of plastic that connected the clutch pedal to the master snapped. The fix involved welding a bit of 7/16" wrench to a deep 12mm socket, and zip ties. It was a bummer as we were leading class C and 19th overall at the end of Saturday.

The Civic had a brake soft line move and rub on a drive axle, leaving a new driver with no brakes at all at the end of the back straight, he did a great job not collecting anyone as he spun into the runoff. Once we sourced the new line, it was good to go as usual.

The TR7 had a different kind of transmission this race than before which was in a slightly different place, and because of that it rubbed through the rear brake line. Then on Sunday, it fried a nearly unbotanium ignition module for the 76 Buick Skyhawk engine it has, but it ran great for the last 20 minutes, posting lap times 6 seconds faster than the Civic and Boat did.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
6/18/13 7:02 a.m.

So next year at Summit tech will require a minimum of 10 deer whistles per car.

I think last year a deer ran across the track at two points and onto the main track where it was collected, rather dramatically by a Corvette.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/13 8:56 a.m.

Last year somebody hit one on the main track. The year before a Lemons car hit one in Friday practice.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/13 9:56 a.m.
Sonic wrote: I was driving the boat at the time, and my brain did not fully comprehend what had happened for about 2 seconds after it was over, and then I realized that a deer had just flown over my boat, while on a racetrack.

brilliant!

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
6/18/13 11:15 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Sonic wrote: I was driving the boat at the time, and my brain did not fully comprehend what had happened for about 2 seconds after it was over, and then I realized that a deer had just flown over my boat, while on a racetrack.
brilliant!

That is a great sentence. Your sense of humor still kills me, good sir.

It sure was a Dali-esque scenario.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/13 12:20 p.m.

I just read the results summary on C&D. Capital Offense 2013 - The winners

The fact that Speedcop and his team went through 3 engines in their '94 Celica in one weekend make me feel not so bad that we can't seem to keep one alive in ours. I'm impressed that the got the engine swapped twice as it is NOT a quick nor easy job to do.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/18/13 3:26 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Also, during my Sunday session (first driver) the whole time I got a hard CLUNK from the engine bay every time I braked hard or turned hard....between that and the RX7 in front of me constantly backfiring, it was pretty annoying. After my stint was over, we found that someone had left a freaking BEER BOTTLE in the battery tray by the firewall (I guess the night before, but nobody noticed it while we were doing morning checks on the engine somehow). Amazingly , it didn't break nor did it fall out. Not really sure who left it there though....it wasn't what the guys on the team were drinking, to my knowledge

If it makes you feel better, you werent the only one with something like that. We had a car vent a beercan at our station Sunday morning.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
6/18/13 5:22 p.m.
camaroz1985 wrote: So next year at Summit tech will require a minimum of 10 deer whistles per car. I think last year a deer ran across the track at two points and onto the main track where it was collected, rather dramatically by a Corvette.

I remember seeing that....it was a black vette, right?

wvumtnbkr
6/19/13 9:30 a.m.

Last year we thougth it was going to rain overnight. Soooo, we put all of the items that we didn't want to get wet in the trunk of the malibu.

Guess when we found all the stuff.....

Lets say that it wasn't helping our concentration with 100#s of crap flapping about in the trunk.

Rob R.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/13 9:37 a.m.

You haven't heard anything until you get to listen to coconut beat from side to side and front to back in a Civic hatch. It's even more interesting when it ocassionaly bounces off the back of the seat. I had the privilege of dealing to that for almost an hour at our last race. I thought for sure the car was seriously broken. Makes it a little hard to concentrate on driving.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
6/19/13 2:03 p.m.
Luke wrote: ^^Bloody hell . Initially, I thought the deer was attached to the roof as some sort of taxidermy theme

so did I...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 2:25 p.m.

Is there any video of the Morrow Racing Narwhal?

I'm curious as to just how loud the music was...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/19/13 3:23 p.m.

No video, but we could only barely hear it over the backgroud noise of the cars roaring by at the flag station.

Honestly, we could not identify what was being played and thought it was coming from the sorry for the party guys.

wvumtnbkr
6/19/13 3:33 p.m.

It was plenty loud when they were in the pits. We purposely pitted right beside them (we live about 30 minutes from them).

That berkeleying song is still in my head! AHHH! Narwhal, Narwhal, ........

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/19/13 3:45 p.m.

Heard through the LeMons grapevine that at the fall 2012 CMP race one team had their fire extinguisher come out of its mountings, this happened around the turn 3 area. Meaning for another 11 turns it rolled around the inside of the car firing random blasts of Purple K all over the driver.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TzBnBl4q663oFDnoyevIs35XmQkbRomFfEaxxWEVlGzx15rpXVL8q88H92kGhdUW