Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/24 11:31 p.m.

Let's admit it:  I have a huge problem.  I see or hear about a car, I research the heck out of it, and then I strategize on how to justify it's purchase while simultaneously combing through the various online platforms for good examples.

A buddy just picked up an early Chrysler 300.  I've always thought they were good looking cars, and in fact to me the 300 is by far the most handsome of the LX siblings.

Anyway, he made me realize just how inexpensive these cars are with a HEMI.  I could use a travel car that will seat my family of four, look decent if I want to drive it to the office, and might give me a smile when I press the go pedal.

Out of nowhere, the internet smiled upon me again and I spotted a nice 2006 300 with under 90k miles that is a clean one owner car.  It's a C with the HEMI and rwd (as I would want it) and the standard equipment that comes with that trim.  I ran the Carfax on it and it has NINE pages of history mostly of routine maintenances performed at every necessary interval from new to now.  I think I can buy the car for less than $6000.

Everything I can find seems to indicate that these are generally reliable rigs save for a potential transmission issue (it has a new trans), carbon buildup on the valves and brittle trim and switches.  

My question to the hive mind is this:  what do you know relating to these models that I should know?  While I'm ALWAYS looking to be encouraged to buy cars on a whim, I would absolutely appreciate knowing if there is some glaring flaw I don't know about.

As always, thank you for your input!  

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/1/24 12:43 a.m.

They were ok back in the day... But id buy an 09 or newer for reasons.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
8/1/24 6:19 a.m.

My friend had a 2008 300c with the 5.7 hemi shortly after college. It was very heavy, pretty fast in a straight line, and rode decently. Handling was average and steering way over boosted. Interior quality was typical for the time as was the ChryCo electrical gremlins made worse by trying to get German and American parts to play nice together. If I recall, there used to be a fairly dedicated fan base that made suspension bits.  Overall, I think they're average. BUT, I still think it's cool that you can buy a v8, rwd big sedan for less than 6k that isn't a crown Vic. I would own one. 

Loweguy5
8/1/24 9:36 a.m.

In reply to RaabTheSaab :

I was all over the idea of a Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis, but these are faster, roomier, and appear to be equally reliable.  The downside is plasticky "Chryslerishness".  Hey, I know it's 4000 lbs and I have zero aspirations of making it an all around performance car.  On the surface, however, it comes across as a car I won't be embarrassed to drive to the office and a good spare vehicle for my kids to drive.

Not included in the original post:  around 30k miles a Chrysler dealer in New York performed service work on the car and managed to drop a bolt into the engine.  The car got a brand new factory engine installed at that time.

A couple of years ago, the transmission randomly had an issue that prompted the owner to have a full rebuild done to the tune of a $7000 repair build.  So effectively I'm getting an engine with around 50k on it and a transmission with only a few thousand miles on it.  Add in the aggressive maintenance schedule they followed and I think I'll have a pretty solid car on my hands.  I've spoken with the seller at some length, but with work and kids I likely will not see it until next week.  Thanks to you both for the input!

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
8/1/24 11:04 a.m.

These cars were really popular when I worked as a valet during college. Although the dash has the cheap plastic look and feel, as I recall everything you actually had to touch on a regular basis was fairly nice, like the door pulls, steering wheel and seats. Later on, a friend bought a V8 awd 300 from a government auction, and that car served him well for a few years aside from a random coolant leak that I believe required radiator replacement. That car felt particularly strong during highway pulls, and I've always felt that the Hemi is tuned to be a lot more responsive from the factory than any LS car I've driven. If the door panel and dash material doesn't bother you, I think they're hard cars to beat for a comfy daily with good power.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/24 1:21 p.m.

Depending on where you are, they had severe rust issues, and there were some components in the rear suspension that when they would seize from corrosion would take out the rear subframe.

If you can still find them used, they probably don't have these issues where you live.  They were usually scrap after 5 or 6 years so they are all gone here.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
8/1/24 1:25 p.m.

Front suspension components wear out relatively quickly on these cars from what I've heard so that's a look out/something to keep an eye on. Besides that They seem like pretty solid cruisers. I still flirt with the idea of getting a hemi magnum as a family hauler

Bibs
Bibs New Reader
8/1/24 9:39 p.m.

I've had 2. My 2008 Magnum was a great hauler. Typical cheap feeling inside, but it's not that bad. I recall it being well laid out and durable. As others note: touch points were solid feeling. 

The cruise control "wand" is Mercedes design, and placed really close to the turn signal. It was annoying to reach for the turn signal, and grab the cruise wand.

The 2016 refresh improved everything, but that's not the car you're looking at.

good luck!

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
8/1/24 11:56 p.m.

Those cars have a very specific stereotype of how they are driven and the activities they are involved in that would keep me from owning one.  Depending on where you live it may bring unwanted attention, so that's something to think about too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/24 1:02 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

They were ok back in the day... But id buy an 09 or newer for reasons.

Apache heads?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/2/24 1:36 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Eagle but yes.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/2/24 7:06 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

Those cars have a very specific stereotype of how they are driven and the activities they are involved in that would keep me from owning one.  Depending on where you live it may bring unwanted attention, so that's something to think about too.

Perhaps the OP is looking to spice things up and frequent frisking by officer friendly is just the thing to do it.  laugh

Loweguy5
8/2/24 7:56 a.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

I can't speak to the rest of the country, but the specific stereotype who drives these in the Northeast is 87-year-old blue haired ladies.  I was unaware they get frequent attention from the Po-Po haha.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
8/2/24 8:09 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

Same in the midAtlantic

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
8/5/24 11:31 a.m.
Loweguy5 said:

In reply to Tk8398 :

I can't speak to the rest of the country, but the specific stereotype who drives these in the Northeast is 87-year-old blue haired ladies.  I was unaware they get frequent attention from the Po-Po haha.

Where I live they are more associated with cars and coffee burnouts, blocking the freeway or an intersection to do doughnuts, driving at least 90 mph and passing on the shoulder, and getting stolen to use for shoplifting and vehicle break-ins lol. 

Loweguy5
8/5/24 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

100% the look I'm going for.  Perfect!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
8/5/24 1:17 p.m.
Tk8398 said:

This is truth.   They definitely have that felonymobile look figured out now that Crown Vics and Grand Monkeys have aged out.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xqDua7sgC4Q3Q2xwiTpbz1ZMsbQuv5TVpc66zeuGasnJSO92gNZdRNo7WCiDUo5Y