1 2 3
e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
10/15/13 10:51 p.m.

So here's the story. Yes, this is just another what car thread (my apologies) but I've come to a bit a dead end in my car searches, and wants. My current dd is a '95 Saab 9000cs and has been a workhorse but is showing signs of age and probably is in need of replacement soon.

I got the Subie itch from my brother who had an '08 WRX. It was a fun car and a blast in the fun Wisconsin winters. My problem is that they are greatly overpriced in my area as far as I'm concered i.e. $7-10k for an 02 still. Any other cheaper awd alternatives out there? Im drawing a blank. Or ill just go search for another 9000 haha.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
10/15/13 10:57 p.m.

Look for a 9-2X? WRX wagon with a Saab interior.

Otherwise I'm drawing a blank on a true alternative for less $$$.

Look around for a Deal? I almost ended up with an '05 for $6500, but it just wasn't the right car for me.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/13 11:15 p.m.

How about a 2nd gen RX-7 turbo? Or a 944 turbo? Pretty much anything RWD and turbo.

Or you could look at EVO's or Celica Alltrac turbos or perhaps a DSM. All would create the same levels of pain and misery with occasional bouts of bliss when planets align and all works perfectly and your latest mod works without issue.

If you really want a WRX, how about a fly and drive? Buy one in another state, fly in and drive home over a weekend. :)

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
10/15/13 11:18 p.m.

As much as I would love an fd rx7 or 944 I dont think they would fare to well in winter up here. Really haven't tossed around the idea of a fly and drive. Not sure I would have the patience for a DSM...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/15/13 11:20 p.m.

Suzuki SX4.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/15/13 11:21 p.m.

Volvo?

S40, S70, S60, V50, V70 All available with AWD, Turbo 5 cylinder, and manual transmission. Some rare as hen's teeth, but they exist.

A hopped up Legacy? Forester XT?

Audi Quattro, VW 4motion?

• Lee
moxnix
moxnix Reader
10/15/13 11:28 p.m.

Fly someplace and buy a WRX and drive it back for cheaper than a local one?

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/16/13 2:07 a.m.

I think Volvos would be too expensive. My GFs V70R was like $16k.

Companies have not made cars like this very often for sale in the US and when they did they were rare or auto trans.

Cars from other companies that are similar (awd car that is turbo and manual. also most are quite old.):

DSM - Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser - obviously

Celicas - All-Trac models. Rare but good and lots of aftermarket and support and was profesionally rallied etc. Pretty much an early 90s WRX and i've only seen them in good shape, just they are rare to find. Celica Alltracs are awesome. First cars are major rust buckets and should be avoided if you live in an area that has salted roads. 2nd are regular 90s car rusty so not near as bad.

That alltrac is like a reliable DSM without previous owners who suck and are rarer with near as good aftermarket. Most i've seen were stock, in good shape, and if modded were tastefully modified. There is also no ricer or F&F stigma with that car.

9-2X - Saab WRX literally as it's just a rebadged WRX. 2nd year of the car is auto only with the turbo engine, you want the first my (05?)

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 - awd, sedan, japanese made 4G63T, also rare.

3000GT - don't buy one of these.

Ralliart Lancer - lesser evo that can be had for cheap.

Subaru SVX with 5MT swap - surprisingly i see these FS all the time somehow....

Turbo Legacy - can be cheaper than a WRX. Obviously also if it's a 90s turbo legacy but they are rare and I hear are weak if you want to build it, you would need a different trans for sure if you want it to be WRX quick.

323 GTX - extremely rare and overrated IMO because they are fragile, rust to E36 M3, and has a locking differential instead of a regular center lsd that all these other cars have. The generation of GTX after this car that wasn't sold here is better.

Most of these are from the 90s or earlier, so dirt cheap or around what you want to spend. A good alltrac i see for like $7k+ which is the car I would hunt for because you could pay that and pay for shipping and most similar to what you want and, really, the best car on this list.

I've shipped cars before it's not as expensive as you might think and was easy. Also bought on ebay twice and only had good experiences.

If you want a newer car like that you will be paying more than you want probably they seem to hold their value well unless they are complete junk. By that I mean AWD turbo cars. Almost all of them that are from the 2000s or later have a following and so are going to be >$10k. Especially Volvos that are awd, manual, and turbo. They have cultists that pay thousands more than they are worth.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby
10/16/13 7:06 a.m.

Your question reminds me of this old youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZzqBPz4sY

Dare to be different.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/16/13 7:14 a.m.

Hey, I work in Green Bay and live in the Appleton area. Welcome to the forum!

The 944 is all galvanized, so you shouldn't have to worry about rust. Some good snow tires would be fun.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/porsche-944-profile/

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
10/16/13 7:29 a.m.

S
V
X

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
10/16/13 8:05 a.m.

I get by with RWD cars and snow tires just fine in Michigan. My dad does the same in Traverse City. They get more snow than anywhere in WI, I suspect. At least in my experience, the limiting factor is always ground clearance and even then I can plow my own road if it's fresh and fluffy.

RWD+LSD+Snows is a seriously fun combination.

J308
J308 HalfDork
10/16/13 8:09 a.m.
e23inGB wrote: As much as I would love an fd rx7 or 944 I dont think they would fare to well in winter up here. Really haven't tossed around the idea of a fly and drive. Not sure I would have the patience for a DSM...

An FD is not a 2nd gen, and is also in no way less expensive than a WRX.

Just buy a worn WRX. I hear about people getting them all the time for $2k but damn if I can find one.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/16/13 8:12 a.m.
kanaric wrote: I think Volvos would be too expensive. My GFs V70R was like $16k..........later have a following and so are going to be >$10k. Especially Volvos that are awd, manual, and turbo. They have cultists that pay thousands more than they are worth.

Wondering if you even looked? These are all at dealers too, so not individual seller prices. I'm not saying it's THE answer, or even YOUR answer, you just seemed to quickly dismiss it for a, less than accurate reason.

2007 Volvo S60 R - $6,987

2004 Volvo S60 R - $6,995

2005 Volvo V50 T5 - $6,995

2005 Volvo S40 T5 - $7,475

There's plenty more, but I'm sure you get the point. I miss spoke (typed) earlier though, the S70 wouldn't have been available AWD/Manual in the States. There were a handful of 850s that were though, for the Canadian market, but you run into similar issues of the other rare '90s cars you listed.

Not trying to sound like an ass, I often have trouble with that, or so I'm told, just want to help.

• Lee
SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/16/13 8:15 a.m.

What about an early Mazdaspeed 3 with a set of snow tires? They have to be dipping down to around $10k these days.

When I had my 2009 WRX, fellow GRM'er MA$$ohle had a 2008 MS3, and it was faster, better handling, and screwed together a lot better than the WRX was. It could go anywhere my WRX could in the snow after he bolted on a set of Blizzaks. Looking back, I wish I bought one instead of that WRX.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/16/13 8:41 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Suzuki SX4.

I came in here to say this. Boring as a beige-mobile in normal circumstances, quite the hoot offroad, and there is a turbo kit from Road Race Engineering. Wakes em right up. And they're forgotten and unloved, so finding one cheap is not an issue.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/16/13 8:42 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: What about an early Mazdaspeed 3 with a set of snow tires? They have to be dipping down to around $10k these days. When I had my 2009 WRX, fellow GRM'er MA$$ohle had a 2008 MS3, and it was faster, better handling, and screwed together a lot better than the WRX was. It could go anywhere my WRX could in the snow after he bolted on a set of Blizzaks. Looking back, I wish I bought one instead of that WRX.

Snow tires make an ms3 a tank, that's for sure. The few winters I've..wintered mine, it's been a beast.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/13 8:59 a.m.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T yet. Sure, they can be nightmares, but are okay with maintenance and are the closest you'll get to a WRX around $3k.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/16/13 9:02 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T yet. Sure, they can be nightmares, but are okay with maintenance and are the closest you'll get to a WRX around $3k.

You don't want any German car of that vintage that's survived northern climates like Green Bay..... Sure working on them isn't TERRIBLY expensive, but good luck not breaking 15 bolts in the process.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/16/13 9:04 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
kanaric wrote: I think Volvos would be too expensive. My GFs V70R was like $16k..........later have a following and so are going to be >$10k. Especially Volvos that are awd, manual, and turbo. They have cultists that pay thousands more than they are worth.
Wondering if you even looked? These are all at dealers too, so not individual seller prices. I'm not saying it's THE answer, or even YOUR answer, you just seemed to quickly dismiss it for a, less than accurate reason. 2007 Volvo S60 R - $6,987 2004 Volvo S60 R - $6,995 2005 Volvo V50 T5 - $6,995 2005 Volvo S40 T5 - $7,475 There's plenty more, but I'm sure you get the point. I miss spoke (typed) earlier though, the S70 wouldn't have been available AWD/Manual in the States. There were a handful of 850s that were though, for the Canadian market, but you run into similar issues of the other rare '90s cars you listed. Not trying to sound like an ass, I often have trouble with that, or so I'm told, just want to help. - Lee

I havn't looked since her purchase, wow have they taken a nosedive. What's wrong with them is what i'm wondering at this point. Mazdaspeed 6s are more money.

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
10/16/13 9:30 a.m.
RossD wrote: Hey, I work in Green Bay and live in the Appleton area. Welcome to the forum! The 944 is all galvanized, so you shouldn't have to worry about rust. Some good snow tires would be fun. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/porsche-944-profile/

Thanks! Nice to see someone else on here from the area. We actually did have an '84 944 that had to do some winter duty and from what I remember aside from the garbage old tires that were on it, it fared quite well.

I maybe just am on the Subaru buzz but lots of interesting suggestions. I've always liked the s60r and there's no way I would trust an audi up here, they all seem to be owned by kids my age that beat the hell out of them. I did find this last night however. http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4126917087.html

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/13 9:37 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
SlickDizzy wrote: I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T yet. Sure, they can be nightmares, but are okay with maintenance and are the closest you'll get to a WRX around $3k.
You don't want any German car of that vintage that's survived northern climates like Green Bay..... Sure working on them isn't TERRIBLY expensive, but good luck not breaking 15 bolts in the process.

Audis are actually galvanized and don't really rust much, if at all. One of the few things I like about them. Funny enough, WRXs themselves don't seem to be faring too well with the salt in the north...

And I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, I know all about northern climates

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/13 10:41 a.m.

What are MS6es going for these days?

trucke
trucke Reader
10/16/13 10:43 a.m.
moxnix wrote: Fly someplace and buy a WRX and drive it back for cheaper than a local one?

ATLANTA!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4095126192.html

Never mind!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
10/16/13 11:02 a.m.

WRX / STI is the halo car for Subie and all the cool kids and enthusiasts want them - hence high prices. Demand.

I'd try a Legacy or SVX if it has to be a Subie, otherwise look at other makes and models as big daddy mentioned

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuzPuWEUIhYUlI9Ej9XJwbKJDkw2TjrCDKsx2BrKQYtS0ugEqmlw3mdTRw6qPD9i