Will
Will UberDork
10/12/24 1:33 p.m.

Used the Supercoupe to run errands today. Saw a guy at the recycling center eyeing it, and when he saw it had a manual he struck up a conversation.

Next, a guy at the grocery store came up to me and said "Man, you driving a classic! Those wheels--are those Enkeis? And Recaros? Whaaaaat?"

Driving home, got the "hand on the wheel, index finger what's up" from a guy in a G8 GXP.

Damn It Feels Good To Be a Gangsta Poster

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
10/12/24 1:36 p.m.

Even a thumbs up directed at you in traffic can brighten an otherwise lackluster day. A phone hanging out a window to snap a pic is even better

When my wife first started going places with me in the classics she would get unsettled. "Why is everyone looking at us?" I'd laugh and say "Honey, we are in a cool car."  A wide eyed "Oh yeah!" would follow and she would start waving and smiling.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/24 2:16 p.m.

Nobody notices the AW11 most of the time (I have ignored it so long myself that I've almost forgotten that I own it). The J20, on the other hand, starts a lot of conversations. My wife borrowed it once to pick up some mulch or something and returned with the announcement that, "this thing gets a lot of attention!" Might have had to do with the fact that she was driving it - I'm not near as pretty as she is...

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/24 2:43 p.m.

My wife finds my 87 Scirocco track car unattractive. We were returning a rental Uhaul a couple weeks ago with me in the lead. We pulled into the left turn lane to wait for the light to change. A guy a few cars up got out, looked me in the eyes, gave me the horns, shook his head yes, and got back in the car.  Later my wife says to me, "you liked that didn't you?" Uh yeah. I just smiled back at her.

I had to drive the car for about a week (it's not very streetable) last week, and everywhere I went I got thumbs up, peace signs, horns, and nods or shouts of "cool car."

Yep, feels good.

87 16v 2.0L Scirocco with nerf bars for bumpers!

pre nerf bar install

And with a colleague at work. Who wore the dirt better?

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/12/24 3:32 p.m.

I normally drive beaters or just cars that are very common but I've definitely felt strange getting attention now that I occasionally drive my 996 911. Feels good.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/12/24 3:35 p.m.

I daily drive a 1986 BMW M535i in the summer, and a 1988 BMW 325iX in the winter.  To me they're mainly just old cars that I've owned forever, but I guess over time they've evolved into cars of interest.  Pretty much every single day I get some sort of recognition - a thumbs up on the highway,  a "Hey, nice car" if I'm parked somewhere, or even asking if they can take pictures.  Yeah, it feels good. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/12/24 4:03 p.m.

Other Jeeps wave at me all the time, but that's different :D

I'm a huge attention whore and miss driving around my fully themed Lemon. I used to get people coming up to me all the time. Very few people understood the theme, but it did end up on R/E36 M3tycarmods once, which was like hitting the jackpot.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/24 4:53 p.m.

My wife and I still laugh about the time we were in traffic in the BGT and a guy who was rolling by slowly shouted over, "Cute car!"

...and then the next time traffic caught up with him he added "...and sporty, too!" with an inflection that suggested he felt he needed to atone for any lack of manliness implied in the first compliment.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/12/24 5:07 p.m.

My son had come to appreciate the Foxbody Mustang as every time we go out in it people compliment it.

It took me a long time to get used to people complimenting the 1200. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/24 5:15 p.m.

And then they pull out a gun and car jack you.sad

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
10/12/24 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Sitting at a light in my NB Miata some years ago....two guys in the next lane on Harleys....one of them makes a comment, loud enough for me to hear, about a hairdressers car....I look over at him and say "It's not mine.....it's my boyfriends." 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/24 5:58 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Beautifully played!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/24 6:05 p.m.

AW says people routinely say "I know what that is!" about the RS6.

i got one in the SS up in Houghton MI last week. College kid on a bicycle said "That's one of the Holdens, isn't it?" in a tone that was more statement than question. He was stoked to se it was a manual. I was stoked to not stall it launching on a steep uphill. 🤘🏻😎

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cXGWcHkDCSGGDkwfrJVJGKe1APQjr2AP0kjoBb0YMpYCOF69bb7CNrQuQvaTPkH3